• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Wail link - paywall free"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Perhaps that will provide the impetus for them to get a F**KING JOB!

Just saying, like...
    Indeed. It comes down to humiliating the poor, and you can understand why some people would object to that. But on the other hand, perhaps being unable to support yourself in life deserves a little humiliation.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Years ago, they used to issue milk tokens for parents with young children. The local corner shop happily exchanged them for fags. I'm sure that hasn't changed.
    WMSS needs a debit card.That makes it traceable and the recipient needs to be present.

As for Rasputin dude well many people make decisions about what they can afford and do without, however I frequently find that those without jobs afford to drink & smoke both considered a luxury and bad for your health. So why should tax payers who are avoiding drinking/smoking/heating because they can't afford it so some benefit dependent can smoke 40 a day?

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
    I think that this is a disgusting idea. Just because *some* people spend benefit money on booze and fags does not mean that all do. So, we're going to give a kicking to honest Jo who hasn't done anything wrong but finds himself out of work because someone else is feckless?

I don't see any difference between this and the suggestion that because *some* people cheat on their taxes, all monies should be paid directly to HMRC and HMRC will then decide who deserves to get what.

It is unpleasant, unfair and unjust.
    Perhaps that will provide the impetus for them to get a F**KING JOB!

Just saying, like...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Years ago, they used to issue milk tokens for parents with young children. The local corner shop happily exchanged them for fags. I'm sure that hasn't changed.

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    Yes, having read a proper article (not from the Wail) on them, the argument for their use is more balanced. I still think that they are the thin end of the wedge though. But it's not as bad as I initially thought.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Now go back and read what I wrote. This is not replacing the benefit system - not anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    I think that this is a disgusting idea. Just because *some* people spend benefit money on booze and fags does not mean that all do. So, we're going to give a kicking to honest Jo who hasn't done anything wrong but finds himself out of work because someone else is feckless?

I don't see any difference between this and the suggestion that because *some* people cheat on their taxes, all monies should be paid directly to HMRC and HMRC will then decide who deserves to get what.

It is unpleasant, unfair and unjust.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    I assume the story is the same that the Grauniad reported yesterday?
    seems like the one in the Capitalist Mail is just a bit slower than the state sponsored Grauniad.

Same basic idea but surely a debit card would make more sense?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    This isn't about replacing Benefits with vouchers, it's about giving vouchers in specific cases of hardship instead of cash (I wasn't aware of any of the schemes they mention though).

It sounds more like a council-sponsored take on FoodBank to me?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I assume the story is the same that the Grauniad reported yesterday?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I'm not following the link, but if it's true then I'm in favour of.

Maybe renaming them "Luncheon Vouchers" than "Food Stamps" might be more socially acceptable, though, if LVs still exist.

Something which stops people spending benefits on cigarettes, alcohol and drugs gets my vote.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Do you think they deliberately chose that photo because of the VPL?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    started a topic Wail link - paywall free

Wail link - paywall free

Food stamps fair or foolish?

Food stamps to replace cash handouts for the poor and vulnerable in benefits shake-up | Mail Online

Working...
X