• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: idiots

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "idiots"

Collapse

• Freamon
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Field: "GENDER"
    Length: 7
    Values: 'F' or 'M'.
    Example values specified? You don't know you're born.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
    Field: "GENDER"
    Length: 7
    Values: 'F' or 'M'.

Well if they have the length as 1 like you suggested and a new government legislation came around to include transexuals or "none" or "NA" , you will then charge them a grand to increase the length. This way they have future proofed for at least 50 years.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Why does gender matter at all in this day and age? Unless it's a dating site.
    I'm pretty sure some of the posters on this site have more than one gender

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    But what about percentages? How will it cope with that?

BBC News - Richard O'Brien: ?I'm 70% man'

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

7 is indeed correct!

It covers Male/Female/Pervert

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Trying to use as few bytes as possible is exactly the thinking that caused the millennium bug. This shows remarkable foresight.
    What bug? Do you mean a fear of bugs?

People were drafted in by the dozen to scour mainframe code for dates and when it was all over, claimed expert status, screwing the market for a couple of years as I remember

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by corndog
    How very insensitive. Don't they realise how many different kinds of cheese there are? Do you think a creamy dolcelatte wants to be treated like a nice bit of crumbly cheshire?

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Let's not be too hasty - "NOTSURE" is 7 bytes
    Not in unicode, it ain't!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    woofter=7

Leave a comment:

• Ignis Fatuus
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Tax system?

Insurance quotes?

I am sure there are plenty of other examples.
    well it relates to identification so I can see that it is required.

I have seen more, for example a personnel system in an African country where there were records for wives (many-to-one) and they included the wives' heights. This was to help ID in the case of someone claiming to be a wife and obtaining company medical treatment.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Why does gender matter at all in this day and age? Unless it's a dating site.
    Tax system?

Insurance quotes?

I am sure there are plenty of other examples.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    LGB became LGBT became LGBT* when they realised there are far to many variations ... * for miscellaneous (LGBT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

A stands for "association" in my context.

But technically I'm wrong, LGBT* is about sexuality not gender-identity.
    Right, so if you recognise transsexuals in the various phases of transition as one seperate gender group then there should at least be an option for trisexuals. Or more.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    LGB became LGBT became LGBT* when they realised there are far to many variations ... * for miscellaneous (LGBT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

A stands for "association" in my context.

But technically I'm wrong, LGBT* is about sexuality not gender-identity.

My interpretation was almost right then.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Well seeing as people have apparently already done bestiality and necrophilia, what could remain to be thought up?
    Ask xog.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    A is Asexual.
    * is a wildcard for sexual orientations that haven't been thought up yet.
    Well seeing as people have apparently already done bestiality and necrophilia, what could remain to be thought up?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X