• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ruined contractor career, what now?"

Collapse

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by evilagent View Post
    exactly how big are these gaps?
    a couple of months here and there shouldn't be a problem.

whats the biggest gap period?
    It think it depends on how leniant the judge was in sentencing.. perhaps

Leave a comment:

• evilagent
    replied
    exactly how big are these gaps?
    a couple of months here and there shouldn't be a problem.

whats the biggest gap period?

have you spent more time working or not working in last 5 years?

most things can be restructured and put in a favourable light, without resorting to outright misinformation.

EDIT: unless, of course, your non-working time was spent at Her Majestys Pleasure!
    Last edited by evilagent; 27 March 2013, 14:18.

Leave a comment:

• istvan
    replied
    Originally posted by Jubber View Post
    Ssshhh - no more contracting secrets please.
    Too late, off I go to fill mine...

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Ian
    fill those gaps in your CV with the skills that you don't have

hey presto - two birds with one stone

:
    Ssshhh - no more contracting secrets please.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Ian
    fill those gaps in your CV with the skills that you don't have

hey presto - two birds with one stone

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
    Well, a long time ago my dad told me

Son, you've gotta get a job. Because if you don't get a job, then you don't eat. And if you don't eat, then you don't tulip. And if you don't tulip, then you DIE.

So that's why I applied for this job.
    Your father must be so proud. You truly do sound like a son who has done a lot of tulip-ing.

Leave a comment:

• Wanderer
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    "So, Ian, why did you apply for this job?"
    Well, a long time ago my dad told me

Son, you've gotta get a job. Because if you don't get a job, then you don't eat. And if you don't eat, then you don't tulip. And if you don't tulip, then you DIE.

So that's why I applied for this job.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by IanIan View Post
    Yeah I'll give him a go.
    Despite what most of us say about agents, it's worthwhile cultivating relations with a few agents you've worked with in the past, so they can keep you informed on the market and help you to sell your skills well; a good agent will be happy to help as if he can get you the right interviews it's a win-win. OK, there aren't many good agents, but the few good agents can be very valuable.

Leave a comment:

• IanIan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Are there any agents you know well enough to ask for advice on how to sell your skills better?
    Yeah I'll give him a go.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Well I do get multiple agents calling everyday. Just never goes to interview.
    Are there any agents you know well enough to ask for advice on how to sell your skills better?

Leave a comment:

• IanIan
    replied
    Well I do get multiple agents calling everyday. Just never goes to interview. Oh I suppose I did have one last month.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    If you call the OP competition then you need to up your game
    Hey, I fight hard to be the most clueless person on this forum - I could do without some random nobody triumphantly throwing down 4 aces...especially when we were playing chess (man, I got one upped in cluelessness that day).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Create a persona online and talk about how you are rich and successful, before claiming to retire.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    I have gaps on my CV and my skills are behind. Should I try for perm?

"Well, I have gaps on my c.v. and my skills are behind. I was hoping someone would train me up - and pay me at the same time - so that I can bugger off back to the lucrative world of contracting."

"But a PC costs next to nothing these days, and most of the software is free or very low cost. Couldn't you have used a little initiative and done some basic research and development on your own?"

"I didn't think of that. Couldn't really be bothered, to be honest."

"Oh. ..Well, thank you for your time."

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X