• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "So, I hate cheese. What's your food hate?"

Collapse

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    And there's probly no horse in it either.
    One of the adverts seen on a bus this morning was for IKEA meatballs.

Which are allegedly Neddy free because when the BSE scare was on they switched to a local supplier in this country.

Given the price of horsemeat here, I can believe them too. They wouldn't sell it so cheaply.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    I am sure those cherries are indeed full of some hideous chemical or other.

The last can of fruit cocktail I bought only had one and I felt cheated.

But when it's half the price of the posh brand what do I really expect?

The rest tastes just as good so I'll take the saving please.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Oh, that's proper quality dining that is.

Much better than the ground rice with burned bits alternative.
    Peaches were a Sunday teatime thing. Fruit cocktail out of a can was infinitely preferable.

Though one does have to carefully select the correct tin opener* if the can doesn't have a ring pull.

*I have recently returned to the good old faithfull tin opener as more modern ones don't seem to cut the mustard (or the tin) any more.

I had problems finding both a decent spud peeler and can opener several years ago, but have managed to get one of each which actually work, and for more than a few weeks too.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Did you see the ready to eat washed salad with the dead bird in it?

It was in the Metro, that publication of record, last week or the week before.
    Caught the headline.

But in true CUK fashion didn't bother to read the full articule.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Nasty stuff.

Full of unidentifiable gritty bits.

Canned peaches served with Carnation milk.

Both foul. The combination was worse.

I was amazed when I was given a real peach and how different it tasted.

And that was on holiday in Germany at the age of 16. I don't think I'd even seen real peaches in the UK back then.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I do quite like crab paste though.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I also don't touch cheese. Foul muck

I don't really eat vegetables (apparently chips don't count as one of your 5-a-day, so presumably they aren't vegetables). Salad is right out. Coleslaw, mayonnaise and such might as well be cat vomit as far as I'm concerned. Put it this way, I've never eaten a McDonalds burger because they put too much healthy crap on them.

Generally opposed to fancy muck. I'd sooner go to a greasy spoon than a classy restaurant any day of the week. Pie and chips in a pub is about as upscale as I want to go in the field of gourmet dining.
    You don't need to worry about this then: Ready-to-eat salads blamed for illness outbreak

Cryptosporidium outbreak likely to be linked to ready-to-eat salads from Morrisons and Asda spinach, says health agency

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Downside was I was on the crapper all the time.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by formant View Post
    Actually, no. But prior to my pregnancy I pretty much had no sweet tooth, never felt like chocolate or cake or anything in that category.
    Now I do.
    All the time.
    Wouldn't mind if that goes away again. I'm enough of a fattie as it is, I really don't need a chocolate problem.
    Blimey. You're lucky!

I gorged broccoli when I was up the duffer. Child now loves it too, so that's a bonus. Downside was I was on the crapper all the time.

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    I couldn't imagine not eating cheese! I could live on it.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    Boiled eggs - who invented a food that stinks to high heaven of sulphur?
    Lovely. I tried to do a Cool Hand Luke in the pub one night (at Easter the pubs tend to have a bowlfull of boiled eggs on the bar) but only managed 18...

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    I could only find organic/Bio version, Swiss for double the price.
    Ah yes, it might have been Bio.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SantaClaus View Post
    They don't really smell of anything. Perhaps get some newer eggs.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    CHF 7.50 a kilo!

P.S. Still got some, but I really don't see why they are so expensive.

Unless that's a price tailored for expats, of course.
    I could only find organic/Bio version, Swiss for double the price.

Leave a comment:

• SantaClaus
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X