• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Why I love contracting.."

Collapse

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Man up. Where's your Dunkirk spirit?!
    exactly. jump on a dodgy pleasure cruiser and get the hell out of there!

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I had a permie job once. It was tulipe. So I looked for another one and accidentally found a contract instead. It was a great improvement.
    what doodab said.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Better safe than sorry, Kevlar reinforced, leather, gloves are just so hard to come by these days, especially in black.

Tell me about it!

Good job I can put them through the business expense account now that I've proved to Gideon I only use them on business contracts, and not for pleasure personal use.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    They're currently being DNA cleaned as we speak.
    Better safe than sorry, Kevlar reinforced, leather, gloves are just so hard to come by these days, especially in black.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Gonna be awesome, try and remember some of it.

Don't forget to pack the "best" black gloves...

They're currently being DNA cleaned as we speak.

Been a bit disappointed to find out that kamakazi is not a sexual position on the toilet.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Turns out I will be in Japan for my birthday. ClientCo are paying for the trip and I intend to ski while there, so my travel bag will include ski boots and mojos.

If I am not skiing on my birthday I expect to be in a karaoke bar, something I probably will not remember.
    Gonna be awesome, try and remember some of it.

Don't forget to pack the "best" black gloves...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    If you can remember, then they either weren't top drawer, or you didn't have enough.

My birthday, at some point this year, being a very fine example

Turns out I will be in Japan for my birthday. ClientCo are paying for the trip and I intend to ski while there, so my travel bag will include ski boots and mojos.

If I am not skiing on my birthday I expect to be in a karaoke bar, something I probably will not remember.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    the drugs, mustn't forget them.
    If you can remember, then they either weren't top drawer, or you didn't have enough.

My birthday, at some point this year, being a very fine example

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    The opportunity to live in 12 different countries on 5 continents, sample over 50 countries, cultures and flavours of women. And the drugs, mustn't forget them.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Nasal Sex
    Is that your only one

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Nasal Sex

Leave a comment:

• NibblyPig
    replied
    Can I just say

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    I started contracting when I realised that permiedom is contracting by another name (with less money)

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    I started contracting after 14 years of permiedom. I had it in my head that I wanted 10 years experience before I started, and I had some other commitments to tidy up before I was ready to go contracting.

I met some nice friendly contractors over the years, and thought to myself that one day I would like to give it a go.

So many people get trapped in a permanent role to pay the mortgage, to get the final salary pension. It makes for a very boring, uncreative, unchallenged existence. I got sick of working with people like that, and I didn't want to become one.

Two years on, it's been great. I have learnt loads, earned loads, and met some lovely people.

I am looking at a permie role at the moment. It is at a level far higher than the level I was at when I left permie. I think contracting can leap frog you up the career ladder if you want to. I am really not sure if I want it, but it is a great opportunity, close to home. I am going to see if they want me and I want them.

If not, I will keep contracting, keep saving (and start investing). I don't really have 'a plan'. I just do what I can to stay fresh and ahead; keeping all options open and taking the opportunities as they come.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    1. Good adrenaline.
    2. Work in several projects.
    3. Work in different countries.
    4. Work with different clients.
    5. Work with different cultures
    6. Learn a lot.

and move on...

next...