• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Don't pick a fight with a squaddie"

Collapse

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    This was proved beyond a doubt on CUK recently when two wannabe squaddies wanted to beat each other up in Bridgewater.
    ftfy

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I imagine its both.

Interesting thought came to me, how many offences does each one commit?

maybe they only commit one as a cry for help? Yet your average scrote commits hundreds?

Also are they more likely to be caught as they are more institutionalised?
    Are they more likely to be arrested because they are more biddable?
    Are they more likely to be convicted as they are institutionalised and basically decent?
    Or less scared of going to prison having been in the army?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    BBC News - 'Violence risk' after military tours

"Members of the armed forces returning from duty are more likely to commit violent offences than the rest of the population, a study suggests."

Or, maybe those with aggressive natures are more likely to join up in the first place?
    I imagine its both.

Interesting thought came to me, how many offences does each one commit?

maybe they only commit one as a cry for help? Yet your average scrote commits hundreds?

Also are they more likely to be caught as they are more institutionalised?
    Are they more likely to be arrested because they are more biddable?
    Are they more likely to be convicted as they are institutionalised and basically decent?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    BBC News - 'Violence risk' after military tours

"Members of the armed forces returning from duty are more likely to commit violent offences than the rest of the population, a study suggests."

Or, maybe those with aggressive natures are more likely to join up in the first place?

This was proved beyond a doubt on CUK recently when two squaddies wanted to beat each other up in Bridgewater.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    How are the mighty fallen.

Can barely hear the chant of "Neaf Neaf Neaf" any more.
    Yep, but Neath have gone the only way they could go; merging with others to form a stronger side than in shamateur days. Better than what happened to Orrell.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I was told that in rugby the ref is almost irrelevant in preventing fouls. The reason people do not foul more is because they know it will get done back to them and that keeps things in check (to a point).

Is that correct?
    Yes, and these days at the higher levels you have videos, citing officers and often extra officials who watch the game and then cite players who've done something really over the top. I don't agree that refs have no influence though; they certainly can't see everything, but good refs can make their authority known to the players in ways that make most players think twice; for example a really good ref might shout something like 'blue 6, I'm watching you' as you run toward a ruck; not because he necessarily thinks blue 6 is a thug who's about to start something as he will probably say something to other players, but it makes a player aware that he might well get caught and carded if he does something stupid.

Personally I think the best refs are old forwards, but some of them can be a bit too gravitationally challenged to meet modern fitness standards which might explain why scrums are so piss-poorly officiated now and are frankly turning into a farce at the top levels; with all due respect, a super fit ref who's memorized all the laws but used to play on the wing doesn't have the foggiest clue what's actually going in the pack. I don't necessarily mean mucky stuff that's happening, but I think you have to have felt the full force of a high level scrum to understand why it's so difficult for players to stay bound or stay on their feet with the modern Set-Touch-Collapse routine. In some ways I found the 'hit' at scrumtime strangely fun as a player; it's pointless really, but it can give a slight psychological advantage if you get it right. But now that I've stopped playing and stand aside watching what I used to do I think it's absolutely stupid and scrums should be built slowly and deliberately with no 'hit' and strict application of the laws on putting the ball in straight and only pushing when the ball is on the ground between the front rows. That would give many players a chance to play longer before their shoulders turn into mush and would bring back the traditional skill of the role of hooker.

I'm starting to sound like Brian Moore, but I agree with him on these matters.
    Last edited by Mich the Tester; 15 March 2013, 13:57.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    I was told that in rugby the ref is almost irrelevant in preventing fouls. The reason people do not foul more is because they know it will get done back to them and that keeps things in check (to a point).

Is that correct?
    There is a certain amount of "Knock-for-knock" that goes on, yes.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    The Aussies called Neath "the bag snatchers" back in the day.

Hmmm, Neath. Yes. I'm sure their mums love them.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    It doesn't really happen in scrums as your balls just aren't close enough to the opposition. Unless the scrum fallls apart of course, as international scrums invariably do. But generally you don't get punched in the goolies unless you're playing against French teams, and when English teams play French teams anything can happen and neither side is likely to be sweet and innocent. Usually you'll have a couple of 'enforcers' among your own forwards who will politely and diplomatically remind the opponent that kicks to the groin area are not appreciated, and then break his ribs in a ruck. Often that's the older players in the pack who aren't so good running around any more but can still deal out the physical.

Is that correct?

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Just because they're trained to take hits, surely a kick in the balls or a punch to the face will hurt them
    A lot of the damage caused by being hit is in the mind, the more and harder you get hit and keep going the more your body realises you can take without going down. I can take shots now that would have probably floored me a few years ago. A few months ago I took a steel bar in the face at training which cut me and knocked me back a step but I could easily have carried on fighting.

Unless you are hit in way which takes you off your feet or catches you awkwardly and puts you down you can keep going, even then you can get up or fight from the floor. I can only think of two times where I was hit so hard with one shot that I was unable to do anythign afterwards (both times from the European kickboxing champion on separate occaisions when he lost his rag sparring with me when I was 17 and he was in his 30s).

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Out of interest how do rugby players cope with getting punched/kicked/squeezed in the nuts in the scrum? Can you train yourself to deal with it or do you just wear a box, or does it not happen (seems unlikely)?
    It doesn't really happen in scrums as your balls just aren't close enough to the opposition. Unless the scrum fallls apart of course, as international scrums invariably do. But generally you don't get punched in the goolies unless you're playing against French teams, and when English teams play French teams anything can happen and neither side is likely to be sweet and innocent. Usually you'll have a couple of 'enforcers' among your own forwards who will politely and diplomatically remind the opponent that kicks to the groin area are not appreciated, and then break his ribs in a ruck. Often that's the older players in the pack who aren't so good running around any more but can still deal out the physical.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    What would concern me is how on earth you would hurt someone who gets hit by trained, expert professionals for a living. It is like getting drunk and then demanding that Kasparov plays you at chess.
    You wouldn't unless you get a very lucky shot in - Boxing and Rugby playing lift you to scary levels of fitness - Boxers seem to have some notion of the damage they can do to an ordinary person and thankfully don't go out drinking in packs the same way as Rugby teams do.
    What would you / could you do if a pissed up rugby team started on you or your family

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Out of interest how do rugby players cope with getting punched/kicked/squeezed in the nuts in the scrum? Can you train yourself to deal with it or do you just wear a box, or does it not happen (seems unlikely)?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Just because they're trained to take hits, surely a kick in the balls or a punch to the face will hurt them
    It will indeed. The retaliation can be interesting to watch though. From a distance of course.

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Ah, let me guess, you're the twat that he punched?
    ...let me guess - you're an ex squaddie with a reading age of 11

Leave a comment:

Working...
X