• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Disadvantages of being a contractor sometimes...."

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    Do not project your own behaviour on others we are not all like you.
    Asking a question is "projecting your behaviour"?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I get this but seems a strange way to say one system is fooked because only 5% of things go wrong but the other system is ok as it it goes right 95% of the time.

Surely they are both at fault 5% of the time or both good 95% the time. Seems a bit unfair to slate one for the 5% and praise the other for 95%.
    Yep. Seems to be the case. Like I said the nurses all seem genuinely caring but they've got a lot to put up with the way the system works....

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Is that based on a guess again?
    My statement is based upon how my wife was treated both times she gave birth, my wife's best friend's stories about her mother's treatment (that link sounds more tenuous than it is), how my wife was treated when I took her to hospital with suspected breakages in her hand after being hit with a sword whilst sparring and how my lodger was treated when I took him there when he got his jaw broken.

In all but one of the above examples I personally witnessed the events I was refering to in the above posts.

Leave a comment:

• SandyD
    replied
    Do not project your own behaviour on others we are not all like you.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    +1

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    OK. To clarify - Based on my experiences with the doctors, the way the system is administered, the way things are organised, etc then the split applies. Only 5% is OK.

Based on the quality of nursing care taking all these things into consideration then I'd say 95% of nursing care was great. They've got a lot to put up with.

But the nurses just look after you in the ward. They can't get things organised, get beds sorted, get doctors to turn up etc, get appointment system fixed.
    I get this but seems a strange way to say one system is fooked because only 5% of things go wrong but the other system is ok as it it goes right 95% of the time.

Surely they are both at fault 5% of the time or both good 95% the time. Seems a bit unfair to slate one for the 5% and praise the other for 95%.

Leave a comment:

• SandyD
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    The nurses I have experienced seem to be lazy, negligent and malicious. There are probably some good ones there too but I guess they do not stand out as much.
    +1

Leave a comment:

• SandyD
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    No they don't. Perhaps on your planet, or in the USA.
    Never had a permie role since I started my IT/BA career without the company offering medical insurance + other benefits. But admittedly I only worked for large well known companies - guess I was lucky then.

My existing private medical wont pay for existing illness/injuries etc, but it all depends on the type of cover you need/select
    Last edited by SandyD; 13 March 2013, 15:05.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    But this is just wrong..... you claim so many things go wrong with care from some notion you have from reading the papers and band these numbers around yet you go the other way with the nurses generally being excellent. You could argue that there are plenty of cases of incompetence by nurses that hit news (and all the ones we don't know about). You are cynical about the substandard care based on a few cases that hit the news but think the nurses are great bar the few instances which you ignore. Gotta have it one way or the other. Viewing both in different way doesn't exactly give a clear picture.
    OK. To clarify - Based on my experiences with the doctors, the way the system is administered, the way things are organised, etc then the split applies. Only 5% is OK.

Based on the quality of nursing care taking all these things into consideration then I'd say 95% of nursing care was great. They've got a lot to put up with.

But the nurses just look after you in the ward. They can't get things organised, get beds sorted, get doctors to turn up etc, get appointment system fixed.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    The nurses I have experienced seem to be lazy, negligent and malicious. There are probably some good ones there too but I guess they do not stand out as much.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I daresay they do but it does seem very postcode dependent. Wifes recents experiences have not just been one wrong thing but, unfortunately, 95% of things going wrong.

Would say though that, generally, the nurses are all excellent. How they work in such an environment defies belief though.
    But this is just wrong..... you claim so many things go wrong with care from some notion you have from reading the papers and band these numbers around yet you go the other way with the nurses generally being excellent. You could argue that there are plenty of cases of incompetence by nurses that hit news (and all the ones we don't know about). You are cynical about the substandard care based on a few cases that hit the news but think the nurses are great bar the few instances which you ignore. Gotta have it one way or the other. Viewing both in different way doesn't exactly give a clear picture.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    +1 to this. It is a perk that you can accept or decline at some companies at best... and... my last permie roll with a global outsourcer had private care via PPP and the DIDN'T cover existing injuries.

Wish you (not your d000hg) would think a bit before posting the generic all encompassing woolly statements without fact or basis.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    actually they do a huge amount of things right and very few things wrong...

problem is when they get it wrong the consequences can be quite serious

hope your missus gets well soon.
    I daresay they do but it does seem very postcode dependent. Wifes recents experiences have not just been one wrong thing but, unfortunately, 95% of things going wrong.

Would say though that, generally, the nurses are all excellent. How they work in such an environment defies belief though.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Not at all, most permies have a free private medical insurance - all covered even existing illnesses.

Leave a comment:

• SandyD
    replied

Oh well, one advantage, of course, though was that paying for a private consultation wasn't an issue. (dont get me started on how crap the NHS are!)

Not at all, most permies have a free private medical insurance - all covered even existing illnesses.

When I went contracting first thing I did is to sign up for a private medical myself.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X