• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Spring seems to have sprung"

Collapse

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Are you saying that they are linked?
    Only when he eats lentils

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    I have made sure that both Plan B and C will allow me to work from anywhere in the world so I can away from this tulipty weather....

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's fecking freezing today.

With a forecast of sleet for the afternoon.

Global warming my arse.

Are you saying that they are linked?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Got caught in a hail storm out running with me shorts on. Felt like a grouse on the 12th of August. I was the object of amusement for passing drivers.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Lived by the sea when I was a kid. In the 50s and 60s By mid May it was warn enough to go to the beach, I used to cycle there nearly every day after school. Monday evening was picnic evening, taken out by parents in the Ford Popular. Hotels were heavily booked from May until first week in September. There was one long heat wave in 1972 or 3, after that the summers as got progressively shorter. The weather has defiantly got colder since then

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I would go for a run in hail storm of daggers rather than watch that again!!!!
    I want to make sure it did make no sense which is what I though the first time.

The woman is pumpable though.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Fookin' hail storm outside.

Was planning a 3 hour run this afternoon, might hit the sofa and watch prometheus again.
    I would go for a run in hail storm of daggers rather than watch that again!!!!

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Fookin' hail storm outside.

Was planning a 3 hour run this afternoon, might hit the sofa and watch prometheus again.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    1976 was nice.

Apart from all the fires & water shortages.
    Cracking summer...
    • 2 January – Hurricane-force winds of up to 105 mph kill 22 people across Britain and cause millions of pounds worth of damage to buildings and vehicles
    • 22 June – 16 July - Heat wave reaches its peak with the temperature attaining 80°F (26.7°C) every day of this period. For 15 consecutive days, 23 June–7 July inclusive, it reaches 90°F (32.2°C) somewhere in England; and five days - the first being 26 June - see the temperature exceed 95°F (35°C). This is contributing to the worst drought in the United Kingdom since the 1720s
    • 28 June – In the heat wave, the temperature reaches 35.6°C (96.1°F) in Southampton, the highest recorded for June in the UK
    • 3 July – Heat wave peaks with temperatures reaching 35.9°C (96.6°F) in Cheltenham
    • August - Drought at its most severe. Parts of South West England go for 45 days with no rain in July and August.
    • 1 September – Drought measures introduced in Yorkshire
    • 22 October – The Damned release New Rose, the first ever single marketed as "punk rock"
    • 1 December – Punk rock band the Sex Pistols achieve public notoriety as they unleash several swearwords live on Bill Grundy's TV show, following release of their debut single Anarchy in the U.K. on 26 November
    • 15 December – Denis Healey announces to Parliament that he has successfully negotiated a £2.3 bn loan for Britain from the International Monetary Fund on condition that £2.5 bn is cut from public expenditure: the NHS, education and social benefit sectors are not effected by these cuts
    • Inflation stands at 16.5% - lower than last year's level, but still one of the highest since records began in 1750. However, at one stage during this year inflation exceeded 24%.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Does not matter how much CO2 we pump in the atmosphere , I bet UK weather will still remain bloody cold and wet all the time. No proper summer since many years.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t
    That would be a quote lifted out of context from an illicitly-obtained email. The sort of tactic one has to adopt when one has no actual science. Trenberth explains here:-

Guest opinion: The truth about carbon dioxide, climate and the weather - Boulder Daily Camera

And the blog article dates from 2011, here's something a little more up to date:-

A recent paper by Douglass and Knox (hereafter DK12) states that the global flux imbalance between 2002 and 2008 was approximately -0.03 ± 0.06 W/m2, from which they concluded the CO2 forcing feedback is negative. However, DK12 only consider the ocean heat content (OHC) increase from 0 to 700 meters, neglecting the OHC increase at greater depths. Here we include OHC data to a depth of 2,000 meters and demonstrate this data explains the majority of the discrepancies between DK12 and previous works, and that the current global flux imbalance is consistent with continued anthropogenic climate change.

Leave a comment:

• Ketchup
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Ne'er cast a clout til May is out. I remember it snowing in April back in 1986. This is nothing new.
    And 1990

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
    The temperature at the surface tells you nothing about the Ocean Heat Content, we have this thing called the ENSO that alternately brings warm and cool water to the surface, in a pattern close to your graph...

Historically there was a network of rather clever devices - Expendable Bathythermographs (XBTs) that sink at a fixed rate, record temperatures and transmit their findings back to base, since 2000 these were replaced by the Argo project ...

NOAA Ocean Climate Observation Program - Expendable Bathythermographs (XBTs) and Ships of Opportunity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argo_(oceanography)

You do your credibility no favours do you?

What was it Keith Trenberth said?

Let me help you. This is what he said.

The fact is that we can't account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can't.
    Right now what does that mean? It certainly doesn´t mean that they can measure it using Argo does it? otherwise he wouldn´t have said it.

Argo studies show oceans cooling

You really don´t do your credibility much good with posts like that.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Nah, you weren't in the top rung at school were you? Slightly off the bottom where the cretins DP, EO and BB languished I'd say, maybe even mid-class, but still liable to get your knickers in a twist at the slightest whiff of complexity. You see I can tell.

If that's the best insult you can come up with I think everyone can work out who the greatest cretin is.

And actually I wasn't the brightest at school. I can think of three who were brighter than me (1 is a billionaire, one not far short and the third is something to do with forex interchange messaging).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X