• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: God, I'm tired!

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "God, I'm tired!"

Collapse

• tranceporter
    replied
    My very first gig in central london. Easily 1.5 hours each way, and about 3.5 hours door to door. Up at 6, train at 7, office at 8:30. Leave by 5:45, and home at 7:30. Good thing is that all travel is done via trains, and underground during peak hours is a revelation. That being said, the location is bang in central london, so plenty of places to walkabout and have food during lunchtime!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I used to leave home at 4:30am Tuesday morning. Then a full English breakfast at the Eurotunnel terminal staff canteen at 7:30. Start work at 10am (local time) in France. Finish about 6pm - and asleep at 8pm...

Back home thursday evening. Working from home Monday and Friday.
    Used to leave home at Sunday 9pm, Midnight Ferry to Calais (one hour-ish snooze on ferry. Arrive 2:30am ish.
    Drive to NL arr 5:00 - 5:30 am and get some sleep for 9am start. The only cars on the road during the night were Brtits, no doubt they were contractors as well.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    What's that got to do with having a beer at the Crab and Dragon?
    As I was working in France, I'd just get a bottle of wine, some brie and a baguette on the way back.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Up at 3:30 this morning, 210 mile drive to the office.

I need a holiday!

Thanks for listening.
    And that's what chucked me off about being a permie.

Yes, I have had that sort of thing as a contractor, but at least I was getting the wonga to make it worthwhile.

And no accounts department querying my expenses either.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    And that last sentence is proof positive you're a bird. Hi Mudskipper!
    "A nice bath with a glass of red then 5 mins on the rabbit"

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Eeew MF is thinking about me in the bath.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I quite often work evenings as I've multiple contracts and a plan B... I try to stop at 10 but you know, I still find something strangely enjoyable about having dinner and then getting stuck into some coding until 11.30. The only issue is turning my mind off so I can go to sleep so a bath & glass of red helps there

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Day off today. Beautiful out there - intended to go for a cycle before heading into town and perusing the British Museum. Instead I went for a fiddle and kip.

FTFY (be honest!)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    I'm doing a piece of work outwith my main contract just now, finished at 12 last night and did a couple of hours before leaving for the office this morning. Been like that for the last 3 weeks as well as trying to keep up a 60 mile a week running regime.

I'm feckin' shattered and coffee is getting me through.
    I quite often work evenings as I've multiple contracts and a plan B... I try to stop at 10 but you know, I still find something strangely enjoyable about having dinner and then getting stuck into some coding until 11.30. The only issue is turning my mind off so I can go to sleep so a bath & glass of red helps there

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Day off today. Beautiful out there - intended to go for a cycle before heading into town and perusing the British Museum. Instead I went for a kip.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    I'm doing a piece of work outwith my main contract just now, finished at 12 last night and did a couple of hours before leaving for the office this morning. Been like that for the last 3 weeks as well as trying to keep up a 60 mile a week running regime.

I'm feckin' shattered and coffee is getting me through.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Yeah that's not right is it!!

I struggle with the 24 hour clock and I know it's not hard, just my brain sometimes sees 16:00 as 6 o'clock and I get confused and can't park or work the Sky remote anymore and get upset easily...
    indeed!

do you find you dribble on your beige trouser when you wee?

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    God, I'm tired!

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    must be a fookin fast ferry to get that sort or relatvisitic time dilation!
    Yeah that's not right is it!!

I struggle with the 24 hour clock and I know it's not hard, just my brain sometimes sees 16:00 as 6 o'clock and I get confused and can't park or work the Sky remote anymore and get upset easily...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Up at 4, back to sleep until 5, out the door at 6, 300km drive, at work by 8:30, left at 16:30, hotel at 18:00, first wank at 18:10., now I'm knackered...
    Power wank in ClientCo bogs around mid after noon will see you right till home time

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Up at 3:30 this morning, 210 mile drive to the office.

I need a holiday!

Thanks for listening.
    I had 11 months of that, yesterday was my first monday off and I was still up at 5:10, old habits die hard, this morning was a little better at 5:30

Leave a comment:

Working...
X