• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Cold Chips

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cold Chips"

Collapse

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    And you didn't end up weird at all

I only vaguely remember school dinners even though they were more recent for me than most here. Since they are bad memories I'm guessing it was healthy!
    Never had a school dinner so can't give an opinion. It takes more than food to make somebody weird perhaps just religious instruction and a willingness to believe in fairies.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I was lucky enough to live five minutes away from both primary and secondary schools so went home every lunchtime to home cooked healthy food.
    Same here, they didn't really do school dinners.

Though my mother did go to the 1950's school of cooking where everything was boiled or roasted to death.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    If some bossy, nosey-Parker, know-it-all, Billy-big-Bollocks, loud-mouthed,prissy,politically correct,
    gobsh1te, came around telling me how to feed my kids
    I'd give them the pre-prepared adoption forms and remind them to give them a good three weeks in centre parcs

turds

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I was lucky enough to live five minutes away from both primary and secondary schools so went home every lunchtime to home cooked healthy food.
    And you didn't end up weird at all

I only vaguely remember school dinners even though they were more recent for me than most here. Since they are bad memories I'm guessing it was healthy!

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
    Even when I ask my kids where they want to eat out for a treat they ask to go to the Toby Carvery 'cus we like the veg'.

It's not like they don't get bloody veggies at home - they genuinly don't want Maccy D's or any of the other crap.
    What have you done to your children!

Leave a comment:

• ELBBUBKUNPS
    replied
    I used to get cheap ham bap, cheap orange cordial, a packet of Sainsbury crisps in the r zig zag packet and if I was lucky a Taxi bar or a 5,4,3,2,1 bar.

Oh yeah and the sandwiches tasted of clinfilm.

Leave a comment:

• bless 'em all
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I've heard that if school canteens tried serving proper hot food, such as roast beef or shepherd's pie and veg, most of the kids these days would turn their noses up at it, preferring to munch the crispy crunchy synthetic rubbish they're used to having at home.
    Even when I ask my kids where they want to eat out for a treat they ask to go to the Toby Carvery 'cus we like the veg'.

It's not like they don't get bloody veggies at home - they genuinly don't want Maccy D's or any of the other crap.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Cold chips are no 'worse' than most meals served at the school.

We do decently mixed packed lunches, but alongside the fruit and sandwich there's a bag of crisps and a sweet of some sort every day. My stepdaughters are skinny and athletic. It's not about what kids eat, it's about how much they move around during the day. Sure, if you have a lethargic child, you may want to cut down on the crap food, but if your child is active enough it really doesn't matter.

We encourage activity so that we don't have to be anal about food. I don't want them to worry about what they eat at this age. I copied my mother's dieting obsession from age 6 and it sure screwed up my eating habits for life.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Very laudable, but there's no effing way I'm letting them feed my kids. Oh, and that goes for private schools just as much as state ones.
    The quality should be improved. Although I am in a private school a couple of times a year and the canteen menu reads more like a french restaurant.

Norway went through this move and massively increased public health and it must have a knock on down the line in reduced health spending. They also found that parents health increased dramatically in the first few years as kids were coming home and demanding decent food.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Yep world renowned chef running your canteen and the mums were feeding chips through the fence.

School Dinners | Jamie Oliver
    It's the kid's human rights to eat filth, apparently!

Though in the properly deprived areas, parents not feeding their kids at all is the bigger problem, relying on the school to do it - often the school lunch is the only meal they get.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Where is all the Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit money going ?

Oh I got it, its spent on fags and booze. That is alright then.

On another note, Can ShaunsBoy start a thread about this on Mumsnet ?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I've heard that if school canteens tried serving proper hot food, such as roast beef or shepherd's pie and veg, most of the kids these days would turn their noses up at it, preferring to munch the crispy crunchy synthetic rubbish they're used to having at home.
    Yep world renowned chef running your canteen and the mums were feeding chips through the fence.

School Dinners | Jamie Oliver

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DAG
    replied
    Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
    Back in my day lunch was 10 b&h and a sausage roll from the corner shop, still got change from a quid.
    I was just thinking along similar lines - I think most on here must be forgetting their yooth!

We used to goto the shops get a loaf of uncut bread, scoop out the inside and stuff it with chips - almost every day

I played football for the county so it never did me any harm!

We used to have big fat fatties in our school too, but they were just cannon fodder for the bullies !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X