• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vicky Pryce Verdict...."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    Um ... he was breaking a speed limit on a motorway. There was nobody on the road and the limit as was set in 1970 by a minister who,... blah blah
    You are wasting your time arguing with these lot.

A lot of them have a limited understanding of the difference between speeding on an empty motorway and speeding in a town and city.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    They really really get uptight about that offence, don't they?

Perverting the Course of Justice.

She's going to have ever so much fun in gaol.
    Judges hate it more than any other offence because it's an offence against judges. And in this case by a judge.

I love a good 'how the mighty are fallen' story.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    They really really get uptight about that offence, don't they?

Perverting the Course of Justice.
    Quite right too. If you don't defend the foundations of the system it makes it rather harder to deal with other, perhaps more ostensibly serious, offences.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    ...As for speeding just because he broke the speed limit does not mean his speed was either excessive or dangerous...
    What you say only applies to intelligent drivers - and there are precious few of them. Even fewer who are politicians.

People who speed are by definition pretty stupid. So what you wrote never applies.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Judge who lied to police gets 16 months

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Confucius, he say it first.
    Twitter said it a lot yesterday. I was discussing it and what he meant last night with my children.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    So breaking the law is ok if no one gets hurt? Excessive speed is more likely to result in fatalities in an accident, you're old enough now to have see the result of this surely? Therefore excessive speed is prohibited by law for the common good. This man had been caught more than once endangering the public and himself and when the Laws patience had run out via the points system he colluded with his wife to avoid the justifiable punishment.

No matter what the cost to the taxpayer this pair deserved to have their freedom taken away as punishment for treating the law as optional to them. Just because thousands of other couples may have done this does not make it right, but at least they'll keep quiet about now if they split no matter how acrimonious it is. It will also make people think twice about taking other peoples points as well.
    The sentence is necessary to show that contempt of court is a serious offence. So chucking the book at two high profile political figures is what is required. As for speeding just because he broke the speed limit does not mean his speed was either excessive or dangerous. We have been brainwashed into believing that anything over an arbitrary speed limit is dangerous - it is not. It may be dangerous to still drive within the speed limit and why is it that 30 mph is safe and 31 mph is not. Let us get one thing straight which is that speed limits are designed as much for the purpose of making it easy to enforce them as they are a safety measure. If we wanted to be safe we would not drive at all.

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    I dunno if he did say it.

I was blagging.
    Bugger! last time I trust a lizard

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    I dunno if he did say it.

I was blagging.
    Definitely. The only attributed reference is to Douglas Horton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Confucius, he say it first.
    Yep, remiss of me not to quote.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    When seeking revenge dig two graves.

Perfect example. No one really cares about speeding points, perverting justice though is another matter and I'm glad it's being dealt with properly.

The person who seeks revenge should dig two graves.

<ZG in "Gibbon, he say" mode. >
    FTFY hthbivmdi

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    So breaking the law is ok if no one gets hurt? Excessive speed is more likely to result in fatalities in an accident, you're old enough now to have see the result of this surely? Therefore excessive speed is prohibited by law for the common good. This man had been caught more than once endangering the public and himself and when the Laws patience had run out via the points system he colluded with his wife to avoid the justifiable punishment.

No matter what the cost to the taxpayer this pair deserved to have their freedom taken away as punishment for treating the law as optional to them. Just because thousands of other couples may have done this does not make it right, but at least they'll keep quiet about now if they split no matter how acrimonious it is. It will also make people think twice about taking other peoples points as well.
    I don't think I said it was OK to break the law, nor that they should not be punished - just that perhaps there are more suitable and cost-effective punishments than prison. The punishment was not for speeding, it was for perverting the course of justice. TBH, I don't feel strongly about it!

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    No one got hurt.

Two adults brought their marital squabbles into the public domain, and, in doing so, cost you and I, the taxpayers, a small fortune. I've just paid my corp tax, which won't even cover a fraction of the cost of it all. Now we're going to pay to keep the pair of them locked up. IMO, better to get them to pay the costs, a fine on top, and pull shopping trolleys out the local canal at weekends or some other such useful activity. And ban them both from driving for a couple of years for good measure.

I bet 1000s of people 'take points' to avoid their partner getting a ban. It's the prolonged court case and the cost of it all that's the real crime.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Huhne was just another insidious political parasite that thought he was above the law and was an elite where the rules for the little people do not apply.

He finally got caught. I just wish it was 8 years.

She was just a vengeful harpie that also thought she was clever enough to bypass the laws we all have to abide by.

She also deserved 8 years.

Whilst I agree with mudskipper that it is a waste of taxpayers money to imprison this filth, I for one am enjoying a certain schadenfreude to know that these Righteous are getting a feel of what it is like to experience the full consequences of their own selfish and malicious actions.

655 more to go...
    Last edited by hyperD; 11 March 2013, 22:58.

Leave a comment:

• oracleslave
    replied
    Originally posted by moorfield View Post
    9.35pm

Chris should have had his first DRE done by now ...

What a pity the pair haven't been locked up together in the same cell.
    HMP Holloway women's football team are looking good for next season now that they have a guaranteed penalty taker.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X