• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Peer-to-peer lending"

Collapse

• chopper
    replied
    You can invest in P2P lending via a SIPP - there are a handful of SIPP providers which support this.

https://www.ratesetter.com/invest/sipp

I put a few grand into Ratesetter (not a SIPP though), just on the monthly rolling market, and currently get 3.8% which is somewhat less shabby than regular saving.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Am I right thinking that it soon WILL be possible within an ISA? I had a thread about this around a year ago but never got into it. Maybe time to look again as I have some cash waiting to buy a house once ours sells.
    Yeah a couple of them are working on it but nothing has appeared yet.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I doubt very much it's possible, but it would be very cool if you could do this from inside an ISA.
    Am I right thinking that it soon WILL be possible within an ISA? I had a thread about this around a year ago but never got into it. Maybe time to look again as I have some cash waiting to buy a house once ours sells.

Leave a comment:

• Gomez
    replied
    Just noticed this post from ages ago. I have some surplus money in the business account and wanted to know whether anyone has invested this in peer to peer lending? I realise there is no cover against losses but risks using something like Zopa or Ratesetter seem minimal. I have £30k currently in an easy access Aldermore business savings account but fancy something a bit more risky for up to £20k of further funds. I'm looking for something relatively short term (3-6 months) to try and keep my options open and potentially allow me to get the money back before the end of the tax year. Anyone done this and got any advice?

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Jeff Maginty View Post
    I went permie!
    BURN HIM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

moneysavingexpert is probably a better place to ask.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. What happens about tax? I don't really want to be arsed doing a self-assessment tax return every year just to get few quid more interest on my savings. I thought I'd escaped from that chore when I went permie!
    I doubt very much it's possible, but it would be very cool if you could do this from inside an ISA.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. What happens about tax? I don't really want to be arsed doing a self-assessment tax return every year just to get few quid more interest on my savings. I thought I'd escaped from that chore when I went permie!
    Overheads? Phone, adverts, meeting.... come on boy!

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Maginty
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I'm thinking of having a go at using one of the peer-to-peer lending sites. I've got five grand I could lend out to try to get a better rate of interest than I could get in a savings account. I could probably lend it out for 2 or 3 years.

Would I be likely to get a decent return?

Is it too risky?

Have any of you tried this?

What does the panel think?

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Use £5K to lend out on council estates. Use the remainder £1k to hire a Romanian to break their legs if they don't pay up.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Have used Zopa and Ratesetter. Removed money from Ratesetter as I felt they were not getting enough business and could be a possible fail at some point.

Zopa is Ok & you get a good return with them(better than the high street), but it's not tax free and you have to declare it. I was getting about 5.5 after debts (which actually I had none), whereas I understand DimPrawn is getting 45% because he's full of bull.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    I've heard of this but I don't know how it works. Mainly, what security would you have on the loan?

Without the bother and expense of proper due diligence, establishing collateral, and a big stick, I'd be awfully worried about my money, even if it were lent to someone I knew.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Maginty
    started a topic Peer-to-peer lending

Peer-to-peer lending

I'm thinking of having a go at using one of the peer-to-peer lending sites. I've got five grand I could lend out to try to get a better rate of interest than I could get in a savings account. I could probably lend it out for 2 or 3 years.

Would I be likely to get a decent return?

Is it too risky?

Have any of you tried this?

What does the panel think?

Cheers,
    Jeff

Working...
X