• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I've seen this house I want"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    From that angle - £400k for a new-build box - I agree with you.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    THe £2m one does look pretty chavvy and new-buildy to me, not sure if it is.

The other one is a proper gem, they are huge old houses in the city-centre yet big gardens and amazing views. Like some of those huge town-houses in London, real character. If I had £1m I'd buy one
    Yeah, around here in Northants you can buy some really nice manor houses in the £750k-£1m region. I'd be tempted if I had that amount of spare cash.

If we're talking "normal" family homes however, I really don't think any house is/should be worth more than ~£400k. I'm amazed how much some people pay for mediocrity.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    They both look vulgar and way over-priced! Especially the one for > £2m : you could buy a dream house in a much better (i.e. southern) location
    THe £2m one does look pretty chavvy and new-buildy to me, not sure if it is.

The other one is a proper gem, they are huge old houses in the city-centre yet big gardens and amazing views. Like some of those huge town-houses in London, real character. If I had £1m I'd buy one

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    And you come back home everynight with black snot. At least working there for a year got me over my life time habit of eating it

I dont think ANY house is worth more than £400k. People who pay more than that should be shot and the money given to factory workers in Third world countries. or better still me, and ill use it more productively than housing a single family.

My ex wife lifes in a house in Staffs, we paid £270k and got 5 beds, 2 lounges, a view over the surrounding countryside ... its on a hill on the edge of town, and has a school in the top 10% of the country 2 streets away. Anyone anguishing over the cost of houses, dont. Move somewhe cheaper and nicer, enjoy being able to walk from your house into fields. And soend the difference on taking more time off work and having a life that doesnt involve working 49 weeks a year coz you are "in contract".

Paying for private education is foolish.. if you do pay loads to move to the best school area, you can sell when the kids finish school and get your money back. Asuu ing the education system hasnt been dismantled by then.

For different jobs Ive actually lived in 3 of the 5 worst areas in the country, west brom, newham and central brum. And also some of the poshest. The only real difference is the number of over priced restaurants and desinger shops selling tulipe you dont need. That and kfc had windows on the counter in the rough areas. The kids in chelsea still behave like chavs when theyre with their mates. And talking posh doesnt make you clever, in fact it makes a lot of peole hate you Even more than scousers.

I live just north of birmingham, but can get to london in 1h10 if i need to, luckily i live 3m walk from the west coast main line. Not by accident. It was one of the things i was looking for to get to contracts.
    There's a reason why a 5-bed house is £270K usually. In this case is it's because in Staffs.
    You're a very limited, opinionated fool.
    HTH.

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    They both look vulgar and way over-priced! Especially the one for > £2m : you could buy a dream house in a much better (i.e. southern) location

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I dont think ANY house is worth more than £400k.
    8 bedroom detached house for sale in Shincliffe Hall Estate, Hall Lane, Shincliffe, Durham, DH1 2SY, DH1
    5 bedroom detached house for sale in South Street, Durham, DH1

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    kfc had windows on the counter in the rough areas.
    Now that is rough. I don't recall the Brixton one having those and a few people have been shot in there.

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Where I live 500K gets you a 4 bed detached house with a couple of acres thrown in and lots of character on the house. For that price in London you get a 2 bedroom flat. I just do not understand what the attraction is in living in London.
    And you come back home everynight with black snot. At least working there for a year got me over my life time habit of eating it

I dont think ANY house is worth more than £400k. People who pay more than that should be shot and the money given to factory workers in Third world countries. or better still me, and ill use it more productively than housing a single family.

My ex wife lifes in a house in Staffs, we paid £270k and got 5 beds, 2 lounges, a view over the surrounding countryside ... its on a hill on the edge of town, and has a school in the top 10% of the country 2 streets away. Anyone anguishing over the cost of houses, dont. Move somewhe cheaper and nicer, enjoy being able to walk from your house into fields. And soend the difference on taking more time off work and having a life that doesnt involve working 49 weeks a year coz you are "in contract".

Paying for private education is foolish.. if you do pay loads to move to the best school area, you can sell when the kids finish school and get your money back. Asuu ing the education system hasnt been dismantled by then.

For different jobs Ive actually lived in 3 of the 5 worst areas in the country, west brom, newham and central brum. And also some of the poshest. The only real difference is the number of over priced restaurants and desinger shops selling tulipe you dont need. That and kfc had windows on the counter in the rough areas. The kids in chelsea still behave like chavs when theyre with their mates. And talking posh doesnt make you clever, in fact it makes a lot of peole hate you Even more than scousers.

I live just north of birmingham, but can get to london in 1h10 if i need to, luckily i live 3m walk from the west coast main line. Not by accident. It was one of the things i was looking for to get to contracts.
    Last edited by IR35FanClub; 13 February 2013, 22:02.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by No2politics View Post
    That reminds me of a time I was living with 2 lads from hull (I managed to escape after 6 months, incidentally one of the is in prison now). Anyway they introduced me to the word choad. Apparently a choad is a penis that is as wide as it is long. I'm guessing none of you knew that. It must be a hull thing.
    Urban Dictionary: choad

I didn't know that.

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    I've seen this house I want

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Ok, you don't have to justify your choices to me. You do however sometimes sound like a man proud of his 1 inch willy.
    That reminds me of a time I was living with 2 lads from hull (I managed to escape after 6 months, incidentally one of the is in prison now). Anyway they introduced me to the word choad. Apparently a choad is a penis that is as wide as it is long. I'm guessing none of you knew that. It must be a hull thing.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I'd leave the one-liners to SB.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    People in London don't have friends.
    Well if it isn't the dumbkopf cliche-dispenser.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Perhaps with all this disposable cash you could buy a few friends?

HTH

People in London don't have friends. That's why he likes it so much.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    If I wanted to go budget basement in the "buy-a-friend" market
    You seem to have researched this option. Have you factored in your missing personality when seeking quotes?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Indeed, however you seem to feel that you have insufficient quantities to lash out the kind of wonga that might purchase someone willing to befriend YOU. You are probably right.....

If I wanted to go budget basement in the "buy-a-friend" market, dim-witted cretins like DP and yourself would be the equivalent of going to Poundland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X