• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Healthcare - NHS/Private"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    FFS. Even the private hospitals are at it now!!!!

Took Mrs to private appointment today (left site early). Waited and waited. Turns out the soddin' doctor wasn't even there - she'd been on maternity leave for 7 weeks yet the useless buggers let us sit there for 45 minutes!!!! Worse thing was the staff there didn't give a stuff....

Seriously, considering billing the useless buggers for my time. After all, you can guarantee if you don't show for a private appointment you'll get an invoice in the post.

Ain't happy either cos now Mrs has got to find someone else and wait for another appointment!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I pay between €650-€800 per month depending upon how much I earn in a year and thats not even private, its what is called '"Law-enforced health insurance" (Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung) known as sickness funds' which I beleive is a lot compared to the UK...
    The rate is 15.5% of your (taxable?) income.
    As we can't tell what percentage of our tax and NI contributions fund the NHS, I'd say it may not be that much more that what people pay here.
    I have generally found the German health care system to be worth its rate. Something I can't say for the NHS.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I pay between €650-€800 per month depending upon how much I earn in a year and thats not even private, its what is called '"Law-enforced health insurance" (Gesetzliche Krankenversicherung) known as sickness funds' which I beleive is a lot compared to the UK...

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by kingcook View Post
    I was looking at WPA, their prices seem OK.

BUPA seems a bit expensive, as does Simply Health.
    Yeh. £78/mnth for WPA for me, mrs, son - not bad. BUPA was £200+

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Any recommendations for private health care?
    I was looking at WPA, their prices seem OK.

BUPA seems a bit expensive, as does Simply Health.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Perhaps I should rephrase it then, on average the standard of care in the US is poorer than in the UK. Lower life expectancy being one indicator of this. The USA spends more per head on healthcare than anywhere else in the world.
    But the average standard of care in the UK is lower than most of Western Europe.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Perhaps I should rephrase it then, on average the standard of care in the US is poorer than in the UK. Lower life expectancy being one indicator of this.
    I got what you were saying.

And I agree.

Fancy hospital environments aren't of much use if the average person can't afford to have their health looked after.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by formant View Post
    I think the US has a much higher standard of care. It's just a lot less accessible to the average person and likely to leave the (many) uninsured bankrupt. Wouldn't consider that preferable obviously.
    Perhaps I should rephrase it then, on average the standard of care in the US is poorer than in the UK. Lower life expectancy being one indicator of this. The USA spends more per head on healthcare than anywhere else in the world.
    Last edited by ZARDOZ; 12 February 2013, 14:15.

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    PS: Did you know that the USA spends more per head on healthcasre than the UK, yet I think most would agree it has a worse standard of care.
    I think the US has a much higher standard of care. It's just a lot less accessible to the average person and likely to leave the (many) uninsured bankrupt. Wouldn't consider that preferable obviously.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Ok, let me move the debate forward. I think the intentions of the NHS are good, and although there are some failings there are a lot of successes. Ironically, the current failings are connected to past success, as people as a result of the NHS are living longer.
    We have an ageing population, that is really clogging up the system and taking resource from other areas. We have a feckless contingent, who, eat, drink, smoke (sometimes all of the above) themsleves to death. They sit at computer terminals and do no exercise ;-). Obesity and associated diseases for example is a just one (needless) MASSIVE burdon on the NHS.

PS: Did you know that the USA spends more per head on healthcasre than the UK, yet I think most would agree it has a worse standard of care.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    That's not really true is it? The productive ones carry the workshy, it's called the Pareto effect, whereby in most cases 20% of the workforce are responsible for 80% of the outputs. Therefore any organiastion tends to be only as good as it's best employees.

The irony is that the 20% are unlikely to include anyone spending the day posting on Bulletin Boards, but even more ironic is the apparent inability of those indignent at the efficiency of others, to be able/willing to see their own lack of productivity.
    Fair points though I maintain that in the private sector you are still only as good as your worst employee. It may be different for monopolies and large corporates but where there is genuine consumer choice it does not take much to p*** off your customer and send them elsewhere.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

I am sorry but you are completely missing the point. A service is as good as its worst employee not its best.
    That's not really true is it? The productive ones carry the workshy, it's called the Pareto effect, whereby in most cases 20% of the workforce are responsible for 80% of the outputs. Therefore any organiastion tends to be only as good as it's best employees.

The irony is that the 20% are unlikely to include anyone spending the day posting on Bulletin Boards, but even more ironic is the apparent inability of those indignent at the efficiency of others, to be able/willing to see their own lack of productivity.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Bloody hell - I agree with DA again!

I must be ill or something....
    There is only one thing for it then

Accompanied Suicide

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    So just because your "other half" is so dedicated and works hard then that makes everything OK does it? We should accept the failings of the NHS and just put up with the service they give just because some of the workers are dedicated to their jobs?

I am sorry but you are completely missing the point. A service is as good as its worst employee not its best.
    Bloody hell - I agree with DA again!

I must be ill or something....

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    My other half is a Nurse. She got up at 5:30 am this morning to start her shift, she will be back about 10pm the lazy fecker. During this time she will have to deal with some violent patients, and some abusive families whose sense of entitlement is endless. She will get little thanks. She might get a 20 minute break if she's lucky. All that for about £15 an hour, but then she doesn't do it for the money. How you have the front to critisize that is beyond me, I doubt you've ever had to work hard?
    So just because your "other half" is so dedicated and works hard then that makes everything OK does it? We should accept the failings of the NHS and just put up with the service they give just because some of the workers are dedicated to their jobs?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X