• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Healthcare - NHS/Private

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Bloody hell - I agree with DA again!

I must be ill or something....
    There is only one thing for it then

Accompanied Suicide
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post

I am sorry but you are completely missing the point. A service is as good as its worst employee not its best.
      That's not really true is it? The productive ones carry the workshy, it's called the Pareto effect, whereby in most cases 20% of the workforce are responsible for 80% of the outputs. Therefore any organiastion tends to be only as good as it's best employees.

The irony is that the 20% are unlikely to include anyone spending the day posting on Bulletin Boards, but even more ironic is the apparent inability of those indignent at the efficiency of others, to be able/willing to see their own lack of productivity.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
        That's not really true is it? The productive ones carry the workshy, it's called the Pareto effect, whereby in most cases 20% of the workforce are responsible for 80% of the outputs. Therefore any organiastion tends to be only as good as it's best employees.

The irony is that the 20% are unlikely to include anyone spending the day posting on Bulletin Boards, but even more ironic is the apparent inability of those indignent at the efficiency of others, to be able/willing to see their own lack of productivity.
        Fair points though I maintain that in the private sector you are still only as good as your worst employee. It may be different for monopolies and large corporates but where there is genuine consumer choice it does not take much to p*** off your customer and send them elsewhere.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Ok, let me move the debate forward. I think the intentions of the NHS are good, and although there are some failings there are a lot of successes. Ironically, the current failings are connected to past success, as people as a result of the NHS are living longer.
          We have an ageing population, that is really clogging up the system and taking resource from other areas. We have a feckless contingent, who, eat, drink, smoke (sometimes all of the above) themsleves to death. They sit at computer terminals and do no exercise ;-). Obesity and associated diseases for example is a just one (needless) MASSIVE burdon on the NHS.

PS: Did you know that the USA spends more per head on healthcasre than the UK, yet I think most would agree it has a worse standard of care.

Comment

PS: Did you know that the USA spends more per head on healthcasre than the UK, yet I think most would agree it has a worse standard of care.
            I think the US has a much higher standard of care. It's just a lot less accessible to the average person and likely to leave the (many) uninsured bankrupt. Wouldn't consider that preferable obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
              I think the US has a much higher standard of care. It's just a lot less accessible to the average person and likely to leave the (many) uninsured bankrupt. Wouldn't consider that preferable obviously.
              Perhaps I should rephrase it then, on average the standard of care in the US is poorer than in the UK. Lower life expectancy being one indicator of this. The USA spends more per head on healthcare than anywhere else in the world.
              Last edited by ZARDOZ; 12 February 2013, 14:15.

Comment

Perhaps I should rephrase it then, on average the standard of care in the US is poorer than in the UK. Lower life expectancy being one indicator of this.
                I got what you were saying.

And I agree.

Fancy hospital environments aren't of much use if the average person can't afford to have their health looked after.

Comment

Perhaps I should rephrase it then, on average the standard of care in the US is poorer than in the UK. Lower life expectancy being one indicator of this. The USA spends more per head on healthcare than anywhere else in the world.
                  But the average standard of care in the UK is lower than most of Western Europe.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Any recommendations for private health care?
                    I was looking at WPA, their prices seem OK.

BUPA seems a bit expensive, as does Simply Health.
                    Contracting: more of the money, less of the sh1t

Comment

Originally posted by kingcook View Post
                      I was looking at WPA, their prices seem OK.

BUPA seems a bit expensive, as does Simply Health.
                      Yeh. £78/mnth for WPA for me, mrs, son - not bad. BUPA was £200+
                      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X