• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Substitute Pooling

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Substitute Pooling"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by No2politics View Post
    The original poster said 'has this website....' I took that to mean this forum, and it's members.

Edit- agree I wouldn't come looking for substitutes on here. Found it fairly easy to build up a network of other contractors from various past contracts
    The OP was a sockie just wanting to stir it up..... but keep going if you want to...

Leave a comment:

• wurzel
    replied
    The original poster said 'has this website....' I took that to mean this forum, and it's members.

Edit- agree I wouldn't come looking for substitutes on here. Found it fairly easy to build up a network of other contractors from various past contracts
    I wouldn't read too much into anything the OP says if I were you

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    Substitute Pooling

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Who said anything about forum? It would probably be the last place you should be looking IMO..

Last edited by No2politics; 8 February 2013, 10:22.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I think it is a good idea to have a pool of substitutes. However using the forum to do so would obviously involve people disclosing their true identities by providing a cv. I'm not sure that a lot of people would be up for this, especially those living out keyboard warrior fantasies.
    Who said anything about forum? It would probably be the last place you should be looking IMO..

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just because your substitute is in a contract doesn't mean they are not available. so long as you are on track with your deliverables you should be able to have as much time off as u like. For example I just took 1 week away from my main client to consult somewhere else.
    Still, if it isn't applied they will argue it won't work pretty easily. It's still worthless. Why can't people see this....... What you think is a good idea and what HMRC will fail to contest are worlds apart.

I remember reading somewhere that if you get a confirmation of arrangements signed by the client which states that they would be willing to accept substitute, and then propose two examples and attach their cv to this letter, that is pretty cut and dry. That's what I've done anyway and it makes me feel reassured. Plus I have emailed HR asking about how the substitution would actually work, what security checks would need to be done and I haves saved this email.
    Well that isn't true either. CoA is plenty. If they sign that then you have evidence that the client also agrees RoS is available and you get your tick in the box. No need for all the other crap.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by wikramasingha View Post
    yes but as i already pointed out in my original submissson and as somebody to here has concurred with me is this following point.

If ir comes to me and says, or the inspector says this substitution point isn't worth the paper it is written on i can point to somebody in substitute pool who is prepared to substitute and this substitute will cooperate this.
    *bangs head on desk*

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I think it is a good idea to have a pool of substitutes. However using the forum to do so would obviously involve people disclosing their true identities by providing a cv. I'm not sure that a lot of people would be up for this, especially those living out keyboard warrior fantasies.
    you aren't talking about 'Vetran the Skull' crusher are you?

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    Substitute Pooling

A lot of the conversations surround working practices and the one that always comes out on top is could you provide substitute if circumstances dictated?

Even if contract is worded with no handcuff clauses.

Has this website ever teamed people up with various backgrounds who could step into the breach? As a security expert, I may not have many others with comparable skills bought for java programmers this would be a good idea isn't it?

Leave a comment:

• No2politics
    replied
    Substitute Pooling

Not really. It has to be realistic and have a chance of being applied. If you name someone that at the point of investigation is in contract they will right it off as a sham. You could argue putting a named resource in that may not be available could work against you. JLJ had a right of sub in his contract but because the client said they wouldn't it was written of as a sham. The right isn't enough, it is the actual working practice that counts. If it won't work it won't cut it I would have thought.
    Just because your substitute is in a contract doesn't mean they are not available. so long as you are on track with your deliverables you should be able to have as much time off as u like. For example I just took 1 week away from my main client to consult somewhere else.

I remember reading somewhere that if you get a confirmation of arrangements signed by the client which states that they would be willing to accept substitute, and then propose two examples and attach their cv to this letter, that is pretty cut and dry. That's what I've done anyway and it makes me feel reassured. Plus I have emailed HR asking about how the substitution would actually work, what security checks would need to be done and I haves saved this email.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    I'm out
    Aye, that you are.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Can we give BP his account back? That one was just awful.

Leave a comment:

• wikramasingha
    replied
    Shut this stupid ******* sockie down ffs.
    You('.Fe quite right. I've had a boring couple of weeks.

I'm out

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    நான் முற்றிலும் உடன்படுகிறேன்

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Yes but as I already pointed out in my original submissson and as somebody to here has concurred with me is this following point.

If IR comes to me and says, or the inspector says this substitution point isn't worth the paper it is written on I can point to somebody in substitute pool who is prepared to substitute and this substitute will cooperate this.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Outside her motto chews a premature cloth. The staring aardvark hunts. Computer sings substitute within the unbearable correspondence. Substitute behaves in a contract. Why won't Computer sigh? The soil shuts the waved mate beneath the work.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X