• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Where to stay in New York City."

Collapse

• cailin maith
    replied
    We stayed at the Library Hotel - near to Bryant Park - wan't mega expensive and was lovely. Right near Grand Central Station which I thought was fab - lots of nice food places there too. Nice walk to 5th Ave and Times Sq.

Those are very lucky girls

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I thought Tiffanys was disappointing. I'm not into that namby pamby sort of faffy jewellery, but thought the shop itself might be amazing. Looked like Debenhams inside.
    But no prices on the stuff downstairs.... If you've got to ask you can't afford it! Whisked the mrs upstairs straight away!

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I only went to New York once but I was staying in Poughkeepsie (courtesy of IBM) and had the weekend free. The train ride down alongside the Hudson was very interesting to say the least and I just spent the day walking as much as I could and looking at the various sights. I did the 2 things I wanted to really do and that was have Pastrami on Rye and go to the Food Hall in Central Station. The only thing that got on my wick were the signs outside of buildings stating that you couldn't smoke within 2 meters of the building which meant I had to stand in the road to smoke. Oh, and the guys in Starbucks in Times Square couldn't say my name and Ground Zero was just basically a lot of African gentlemen selling cheap tat

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by VirtualMonkey View Post
    gotta be careful around time square..tiffany's is just up the road. I got stung for that one
    I thought Tiffanys was disappointing. I'm not into that namby pamby sort of faffy jewellery, but thought the shop itself might be amazing. Looked like Debenhams inside.

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMonkey
    replied
    I've been three times with my wife and stayed in different hotels each time.
    The Hyatt (next to the Chrysler building) was nice.
    Waldof Astoria the second time. That was plush and got free chanpagne and chocolate strawberrys as it was our anniversary.
    3rd time was the novotel in times square. Not bad and great views if you get the right side of thebuilding.
    Got to agree that the empire state is a disappointment...just an old skyscraper inside and fairlytatty at that. Rockerfeller was much better.
    Horse and cart ride in central park is cool (bloomin freezing if it's winter) but expensive at 50 bucks for about 15 mins (plus tip).
    gotta be careful around time square..tiffany's is just up the road. I got stung for that one

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    The New Yorker

Leave a comment:

• Fishface
    replied
    get somewhere around Washington Sq or Union Sq - where all the NYU students hang out - more fun for the youth.

Having said that I like to stay at that really tall hotel on Cental Park South above 44th floor park view - cheesy old style hotel but the views over the park are amazing to wake up to.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Trump Soho was well plush hotel. Expensive but not as much as the ones nearer central park.

Staten island ferry is a good laugh for free. Central park, empire state etc.

Thought the cabs were crap though. Takes ages to get one, then you sit in traffic jam and pay loads, quicker to just jump on the subway.

I was most impressed by how safe the place felt. Not at all like that film - 'the wanderers' lol.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    If they want Boutique style then look for one of the Ian Schrager hotels eg the Hudson or Morgan. Not cheap but they'll love it. The bars are fantastic for celeb spotting.

Others that would appeal would be one of the W hotels (Sheraton group), in fact most of the Sheraton group of hotels are well placed, meaning most of the sites are walkable.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyD View Post
    When I went last May, I managed to get an amazing cheap deal (flight and hotel) on last minute for THE WALDORF ASTORIA... it was really good, and you must go to their Sunday brunch...that was a wow.

However years before that I went to the best western hotel.
    I stayed there a couple of years back and it was historical, the people who have stayed there is a list of who's who.

Central Manahattan, walk to Central Park, or Water taxi at East 34th I think to Battery Park and Brooklyn.

911 museum is interesting not that they may remember it much. 5th Avenue for the EXPENSIVE shops.

Go up the Rockefeller building, a life moment. Better than Empire State IMHO.

Statten Island Ferry for experience, see on tv and in movies so frequently.

Statue of liberty and Ellis Island. Eliis Island is very interesting, showing waves of immigration etc

The first time you go its just great to see all the places you have seen on the big and small screen all your life.
    Last edited by Scrag Meister; 4 February 2013, 08:25.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I meant more that they were lucky buggers, getting flown to NY...
    That's what happens when your dad/uncle is a contractor. More money than sense...

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    When I was a student 20 years ago I stayed here:

Guest Rooms at Vanderbilt YMCA | New York City's YMCA

Cost seems to be around £60/night.
    Recommended.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I meant more that they were lucky buggers, getting flown to NY. Your young 'un can come and lodge with me!
    She's moving out of the halls for next year - just paid deposit for private digs. Hopefully things will be a bit calmer!

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Mine's gone to Birmingham. So far she's been threatened, robbed, and her accommodation set on fire. How bad can New York be?
    I meant more that they were lucky buggers, getting flown to NY. Your young 'un can come and lodge with me!

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Aye, but might be safer for two 18 yr olds to stay? More hustle and bustle 24 hours, like.
    That is true. We felt safe where we stayed, but weren't many people walking about at night, so you don't get that extra comfort that busier places can have.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X