• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "which of these crimes have you committed?"

Collapse

• mudskipper
    replied
    I managed 4 between office and home.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

I didn't notice the "within 5 years" bit. That reduces my total quite a lot.
    Oh, _years_! I thought he said days

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    It's not against the law to eat or drink while driving, in the sense that no law explicitly forbids it. However, you can be done for dangerous driving, or driving without due care and attention, and so on. As to whether the mere fact of having been eating or drinking would be enough to secure a conviction, in the absence of any additional evidence such as a lollipop lady you've run over as you swig on your Scotch or video of you weaving all over the road as you blow on your Ginsters pastie, is one for the courts.
    I remember once driving down a motorway sliproad whilst scoffing a cornish pastie, and was shocked to see a police patrol car on the motorway. He'd obviously seen what I was doing because he pulled alongside and had a good look, but by then I'd dropped said pastie in my crotch, and was doing my best to look innocent.

I didn't notice the "within 5 years" bit. That reduces my total quite a lot.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I have a problem with the poll as a lot of the "crimes" aren't crimes or are only crimes now.

For example if the pavement has got white lines making part of it a cycle path then you aren't breaking any law, and talking on a mobile phone never use to be illegal.
    Sue

if its marked as a cycle lane its no longer exclusively a pavement, I agree no you aren't.

Talking on the mobile phone, smoking, eating, drinking and your passenger performing fellatio on the driver have always been part of 'having full control of the vehicle'. It was only recently ~ 2005 they made an explicit offence of the mobile phone to make it easy to issue fixed penalties.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    only 2 for me.

lucky it's misdemeanors carried out in the last five years

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I have a problem with the poll as a lot of the "crimes" aren't crimes or are only crimes now.

For example if the pavement has got white lines making part of it a cycle path then you aren't breaking any law, and talking on a mobile phone never use to be illegal.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Debatable, it varies depending on which act of Parliament you are dealing with for instance a public place in the road traffic act is different to one in the public order act. In some definitions it is any place in the open air to which the public have access in others it is any place to which the public have access on payment or otherwise. I think it would need to be more specific.
    But in this case it's the legislation concerning smoking, and that isn't prohibited in a public place unless it is also an enclosed space.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Own up - Who's had sex with someone under the age of 16?
    The question is "Having sex under the age of 16", not "Having sex with someone under the age of 16". So, given the five year limit, the 20 year old contractor whose existence I doubted is in fact here.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Yes, that's correct. I wouldn't be surprised if the list is one of those things that gets emailed around for years, and thus accrues various bits from different areas. But standing in public and smoking a fag, pipe, or cheroot is entirely legal in the UK. Just don't drop any ash
    Debatable, it varies depending on which act of Parliament you are dealing with for instance a public place in the road traffic act is different to one in the public order act. In some definitions it is any place in the open air to which the public have access in others it is any place to which the public have access on payment or otherwise. I think it would need to be more specific.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Own up - Who's had sex with someone under the age of 16?

edit: I've done practically all of those. Must be a regular tearaway!

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    6 inside the time limit. Rather more without the limit. Haven't driven in over 5 years or ever owned a dog so that rules out a lot straight away.

Bloody dog-owning, driving criminals

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    We have an entry for sex under 16 - does CUK extend beyond the grave and Jimmy has responded or which of our members is Gary Glitter

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by rob s View Post
    smoking in a public place - isn't this just indoors? Or have they changed it and I didn't realise? Or are we in new york and I've got the wrong forum?
    Yes, that's correct. I wouldn't be surprised if the list is one of those things that gets emailed around for years, and thus accrues various bits from different areas. But standing in public and smoking a fag, pipe, or cheroot is entirely legal in the UK. Just don't drop any ash

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by formant View Post
    I didn't know 'Eating or drinking while driving' wasn't allowed. Whoever made that law must have never had an excessive commute.
    It's not against the law to eat or drink while driving, in the sense that no law explicitly forbids it. However, you can be done for dangerous driving, or driving without due care and attention, and so on. As to whether the mere fact of having been eating or drinking would be enough to secure a conviction, in the absence of any additional evidence such as a lollipop lady you've run over as you swig on your Scotch or video of you weaving all over the road as you blow on your Ginsters pastie, is one for the courts.

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    15/20. Plus I have smoked in a public place, but it wasn't illegal then. And I've never cleaned up dog poo, but then never having a dog, I didn't realise I was obliged to.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X