• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: rally in equities

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "rally in equities"

Collapse

• Robinho
    replied
    Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    FFS
    If your currency devalues, you need to sell goods at a higher value in your native currency in order to make a profit.

Often currency devaluation is a result of mass money printing. The argument for this is that it appears easier to force overinflated wages down (normally the result of a government induced business cycle), after all it's easier to deny a pay-rise than force a pay cut. Really though this is just the result of onerous employment regulations.

There are also several problems with it though. First of all it rewards people and businesses with assets and debt and punishes people with money and savings. Secondly and crucially it once again distorts the pricing mechanism of the economy, normally resulting in another after-bubble.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    FFS
    Yes?

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    No.

Benefit to the country depends on import/export balance - countries like Germany and China benefit because they export more than they import, UK on the other hand is a net importer:

Imports: $639 billion (2011 est.)
    Exports: $479.2 billion (2011 est.)

Source: CIA

It will benefit certain successful firms who export, but even this benefit is often muted because same firms have to import some materials that go up in price.
    FFS

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Either way the UK benefits.
    No.

Benefit to the country depends on import/export balance - countries like Germany and China benefit because they export more than they import, UK on the other hand is a net importer:

Imports: $639 billion (2011 est.)
    Exports: $479.2 billion (2011 est.)

Source: CIA

It will benefit certain successful firms who export, but even this benefit is often muted because same firms have to import some materials that go up in price.

Leave a comment:

• Doggy Styles
    replied
    No, they don't get cheaper - price is the same as they are sold in their local currencies, but the manufacturer is making better profits.
    Either way the UK benefits.

Exports are cheaper in foreign markets if your currency devalues, which makes you more competitive.

Or, if you really are selling at the same price in your market's currency, your manufacturing sector benefits from the extra income.

And that is one of the big advantages of having an independent currency. Which means that Blaster has blasted his own argument in the foot (again) with his original post on this.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Do you not perceive the facts the same way?
    That you're an intellectually mediocre binary IT type talking bollux on a forum?
    I think he is either intellectually mediocre binary IT type talking bollux on a forum OR not an intellectually mediocre binary IT type talking bollux on a forum.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Robinho View Post
    What you perceive to be facts are nothing to do with the discussion in hand however.
    Do you not perceive the facts the same way?
    That you're an intellectually mediocre binary IT type talking bollux on a forum?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If you say so. You tell me.
    I reckon it's 50-50, either I will be or won't be ...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I can't think of any that I'm not at the moment.
    Unless you earn a few million in the future. But money might be about it.
    When it comes to looks, sporting ability, women, sense-of-humour, intelligence, fertility and general all-round good-egg-ness, I have you beat.
    Your imagination is fertile, I must admit.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    Where's the insults? Merely stating the facts.
    What you perceive to be facts are nothing to do with the discussion in hand however.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    1 to 100000 kind of chance?
    If you say so. You tell me.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    What's this, yet more insults and no intelligent arguments?
    Where's the insults? Merely stating the facts.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Yet there is an outside chance that Atw will become a very rich man.
    1 to 100000 kind of chance?

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied

There's not much difference between you and AtW TBH.
    You're both intellectually mediocre IT types who spend all their time on a forum talking bollux about stuff they haven't got a clue about.
    You on the other hand will almost certianly not, because that's all you do.
    What's this, yet more insults and no intelligent arguments?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Yet you don't understand that debasing the currency is as bad if not worse than a recession.

There's not much difference between you and AtW TBH.
    You're both intellectually mediocre IT types who spend all their time on a forum talking bollux about stuff they haven't got a clue about.
    You on the other hand will almost certianly not, because that's all you do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X