• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car insurance - using no claims on 2 policies short term?"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Which is weird. Because after 2 years you don't suddenly become more of a risk surely if you've not had an accident for 20 years previously?

Which is why this whole NCD thing is complete crap.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Most UK Ins co will do this;

If you have no car, they will allow you to suspend your insurance for upto 6 months. Then after that they'll cancel (although why they do this if you're prepared to insure nothing I dont understand!).
    The NCB is generally valid for 2 years after the end of your last policy. Some insurers will take you back after 3. Handy if you are without a car for an extended period.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    So hang on, let me get this straight, I can have my no claims discount on no cars or one car, but if I buy another car I get zero no claims even though I've got 15 years without a claim?

That's not a no claims bonus, that's no claims anal violation. ******* insurance *****. Bunch of money grubbing *****.
    Most UK Ins co will do this;

If you have no car, they will allow you to suspend your insurance for upto 6 months. Then after that they'll cancel (although why they do this if you're prepared to insure nothing I dont understand!).

If you have an existing policy and are changing your car, some will allow you to have both cars covered on the one policy for a short time (about 28 days while you move the 'old' car on).

If you have an existing policy and buy a second car, some insurers will give you a shadow full NCB on a second policy you take out with them. Other insurers will give you the same discount on the second policy as they give all new drivers taking their first policy ie about 15%.

It pays to shop around.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    So you can use it against two then? Shouldn't <> can't.
    No point having insurance that wont pay out in the event of an accident though, is there?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    So hang on, let me get this straight, I can have my no claims discount on no cars or one car, but if I buy another car I get zero no claims even though I've got 15 years without a claim?

That's not a no claims bonus, that's no claims anal violation. ******* insurance *****. Bunch of money grubbing *****.
    Con yes but thats the way it is. NCD can only be used on one car at a time. Bollox really because surely NCD shows you're not such a risk so why does it matter if you've got 2 cars?

You're not suddenly a huge risk because you own another car after all. All a con from the insurance industry I'm afraid.

Only way around is to get a classic car. They dont bother with crap like NCD and its usually dead cheap. Dear wifes classic mini is about £120 a year to insure and you dont need to worry about NCD etc (and its got a guaranteed value rather than some bellend saying 15 year old mini = worth £200).

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    A contractor letting his wife drive round in a Matiz. Right catch you are! LOL.
    But she has a mercedes A class now.

Dont feel too sorry for her - shes got two cars. A classic mini and this car now.

Nothing wrong with a matiz anyway. It goes from A to B! :-)
    tulipe ride is better than a posh walk remember.... :-)

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    You can't temporarily use a NCD against two policies. Its just not possible and will invalidate both policies if they find out. AND if you have an accident they will find out.

Sort it out now.
    So you can use it against two then? Shouldn't <> can't.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    So hang on, let me get this straight, I can have my no claims discount on no cars or one car, but if I buy another car I get zero no claims even though I've got 15 years without a claim
    Aye, you know it makes sense!

What's even more tulip is that some companies offer "accelerated NCB", now that's total utter tulip!

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Maybe it was a life insurance thingy...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Anyone want to buy a Daewoo matiz? :-)
    sasguru was looking for a new car that fits his character, PM him.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Bit the bullet and phoned the insurer. Told them the truth - they weren't that bothered when I explained the plan was to cancel the other one anyway and move to them but I hadnt done it before the policy started. They don't give a stuff as long as I do actually cancel the old one.

So old policy cancelled. Anyone want to buy a Daewoo matiz? :-)
    FTFY... They don't care. In fact they make money when they don't have to pay out. Onus is on you to do right thing.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Bit the bullet and phoned the insurer. Told them the truth - they weren't that bothered when I explained the plan was to cancel the other one anyway and move to them but I hadnt done it before the policy started. They're happy as long as I do actually cancel the old one.

So old policy cancelled. Anyone want to buy a Daewoo matiz? :-)

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    it's totally retarded that NCB is on the car rather than the named driver, total BS in fact.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X