• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Phil Collins

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Phil Collins"

Collapse

• minestrone
    replied
    If you ask most drummers who their favourite drummer is, 50% go for Buddy Rich but nobody can ever tell you a song buddy Rich drummed in. There is no doubt he had the hardest wrists in the business, his snare technique was mind blowing but listening to his music is dreadful.

Do guitarists sit down on a night and thing I'm going to listen to a bit of Yangi Malmsteen?

I have no doubt Peart is a technically gifted drummer, easily in the top 10 drummers of all time but there is nothing there foe me,

Hal Blaine is probably the 'most prolific good drummer' I have heard and superstition is probably the 'most rhythmically superior'' piece of drumming I have heard.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    But it's not rhythm, its a constant delivering of rudiments on a revolving drum kit as fast as he can deliver.

It's like saying the fastest speaker in the world has the most important things to say because occasionally he might say something important.
    That's precisely what it isn't. NP has a real "swing" to he playing. When I saw Rush in Newcastle in 2011, I was surprised by how slow NP seemed to move, even in the middle of a mind-bending drum solo that sounds like it is being played at break-neck speed. He appeared to be relaxed and cool.

In the videos above, other drummers play some recognizable NP solos. They are great: fast, skillful and precise. But they don't sound as good, and seem to play everything at the same robotic speed, without that "swing". Peart has that certain something, a bit like John Bonham and Keith Moon, but their somethings were different.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    That's not how drummers tell it.
    But it's not rhythm, its a constant delivering of rudiments on a revolving drum kit as fast as he can deliver.

It's like saying the fastest speaker in the world has the most important things to say because occasionally he might say something important.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Who would actually pay money to see that tulip?

Who goes to Rush concerts?
    Me whenever they appear in the UK

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    he is fookin terrible, he hides behind 40-50 drums and had absolutely no rhythmical talent.
    That's not how drummers tell it.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    A better rock drummer than Peart does not exist.
    he is fookin terrible, he hides behind 40-50 drums and had absolutely no rhythmical talent.
    Last edited by minestrone; 20 November 2015, 00:22.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Honestly most of this pretty standard stuff if you have a formal snare training...

Who would actually pay money to see that tulip?

Who goes to Rush concerts?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    Anyone who thinks Collins is mainstream should Listen to Mama.

That blood curdling scream he does half way through is right out of the left field. Pure Warhol.
    I think that's actually because he's realised that he has become just another MOR/AOR artist

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    Anyone who thinks Collins is mainstream should Listen to Mama.

https://vimeo.com/32214540

That blood curdling scream he does half way through is right out of the left field. Pure Warhol.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Can't belive no-one has mentioned this guy.....

You know that's a puppet right?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Can't belive no-one has mentioned this guy.....

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
    What Lodge were you in?
    Get a room

Leave a comment:

• Martin Scroatman
    replied
    I got a formal training in pad when I was 10 with Pomeskis I wasn't allowed to get near a snare till I had mastered rudiments on a pad, then I got 2 years on a snare then I eventually got near a kit.. I was pretty exceptional at the kit.

I was tulip hot, I could rhythm out the most complicated beats, I would do stuff then try and add in more hits and more beats.

Then I heard Superstition and realised I had missed the point of the whole thing.

That is a long winded way to say Neil Peart lost it well before me.
    What Lodge were you in?

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Sadly that insufferable coont Sting always seems to get the best drummers...

Listen to the genius little splash cymbals on this one,,,

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Phill Collins.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X