• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Outrageous increase in price of a lottery ticket"

Collapse

• thunderlizard
    replied
    It is disgusting, and unfair, that a lottery ticket should double in price when a £500 chip at Aspinalls isn't going up at all. It's one rule for Tory millionaires and one for the rest of us is what it is.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by centurian View Post
    Doubling the price of a ticket - fair enough - £1 isn't worth what it was 20 years ago.

But the only prize that is increasing by anything like an equivalent proportion is the bottom one
    They're not expecting to make more, just to sell half as many tickets?

Leave a comment:

• centurian
    replied
    Doubling the price of a ticket - fair enough - £1 isn't worth what it was 20 years ago.

But the only prize that is increasing by anything like an equivalent proportion is the bottom one people don't play the lottery to win £10/25 - even the thickest players understand that they only come by rarely to make a difference.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I do the same when I see a really attractive woman, spend all week dreaming of how I'd bonk the life out of her. Just as likely too and saves spending £2!

And you have more chance of winning the lottery.

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    On 31st October the price of a lottery ticket will be £1. On 1st November it will be £2. How can they justify this?

So on 2nd November it will be £4 and 3rd November it will be £8. By 30th November it will be £1,073,741,824 - so only assguru will be able to afford to buy a ticket.

This is a disgrace.
    Postcode lottery is 2 quid. This increase has nothing to do with redistribution of small prize money and everything to do with bringing Lotto into line with the Postcode and EuroMillions lotteries.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Gambling is for fun not finance. Everybody who plays knows you lose out but that's like saying the cinema is a "stupid tax" because you pay £10 and lose 2 hours of your life.

The fact it's going up to £2 seems unimportant, probably most people buy more than one ticket? If they don't they could play every 2nd week. And syndicates can still work on exactly the same budget.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Yeah agreed, it's a tax on people who can't do maths.
    Disagreed - it's the triumph of human hope over expectation.

If every achiever, statesman, inventor, leader worked out the odds, we'd still be in caves.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    How so? Nobody plays the lottery as an investment, it's a game.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I don't think it's a tax on stupidity at all.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    I don't think it's a tax on stupidity at all. For less than the price of half a pint or renting a tulip movie you get to spend all week dreaming of how you'd spend it. It's the best value escapism on the market.
    I do the same when I see a really attractive woman, spend all week dreaming of how I'd bonk the life out of her. Just as likely too and saves spending £2!

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I know - outrageous! a 100% hike in the stupidity tax!! What will the Wail say!!!.
    The Express has gone all about it.

Coincidentally, the owner of the Express also owns a not-very-successful competitor to the National Lottery.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I don't think it's a tax on stupidity at all. For less than the price of half a pint or renting a tulip movie you get to spend all week dreaming of how you'd spend it. It's the best value escapism on the market.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Mine was mathematics which is why I never played!
    Have you never heard of the law of stupidity in large numbers?

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I think this is the push I need to stop playing.
    Mine was mathematics which is why I never played!

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Winning the lottery gets the public doing what the government is failing in trying to achieve, getting people to spend money which is good for the economy
    If Govt wanted people to spend it would just take less tax in the first place.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X