• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Less really is more"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    this is mr wetherspoon complaing about his 43% tax

notice the climate change tax

JD Wetherspoon's founder is right to complain of tax burdens | Business | guardian.co.uk

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Apparently it's great for pedicures. Don't drink it afterwards.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Is it something about home brew that instantly makes your slop the best drink ever to you?

I can imagine them being proud if it was drinkable but it's better than anything at a real ale pub, might start selling it... give me a break...
    Good grief no! - My hippy juice is mediocre but a glass of it is fine.

But you'd be surprised at the HB kits - the Festival Golden Stag is very quaffable and it's certainly better than JS.

(I suspect your mates are having a laugh at your expense...)

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    If I'm ever benched at the right time of year I'm going to have a go at making some scrumpy with the few hundredweight of apples that normally rot on the lawn. Anybody tried that ?
    No, but if you do a bit of research you might be able to find someone local to you who will let you use their press for an apple donation.

I just turn a few of ours into apple wine.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    WHS

Apart from the expense of drink and the smoking ban, most young people these days aren't content to sit around for hours nursing a pint and talking when they can be texting anywhere or on their PC at home. They'd rather save their money for clubbing, where they can take E and dance.

I'd guess the average age of pub regulars is rising year by year - by almost a year! Same goes for buying newspapers.
    Sweeping generalisation alert

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I'm scratching my head why the government aren't doing anything about the taxation of pub sold booze, I'm sure their total tax take must be falling all the time as pubs close down ( about to lose my local ). The high tax plus the supermarkets using booze as a loss leader means we'll not have many pubs left at this rate.
    WHS

Apart from the expense of drink and the smoking ban, most young people these days aren't content to sit around for hours nursing a pint and talking when they can be texting anywhere or on their PC at home. They'd rather save their money for clubbing, where they can take E and dance.

I'd guess the average age of pub regulars is rising year by year - by almost a year! Same goes for buying newspapers.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I find JS is OK as a "wash down a hot curry" swill, better cooling effect than lager and you are swigging it rather than tasting it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    More bemused but a bit

Leave a comment:

• BA to the Stars
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The wife is 34 and got ID-checked trying to buy a bottle of ginger wine. She had ID but because I was with her and didn't, they wouldn't let us buy it!
    Did the wife take it as a compliment that she looked so young

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    I was in Asda today and they are supposed to check people buying booze if they look under 25.
    Not a problem for me, obv.
    The wife is 34 and got ID-checked trying to buy a bottle of ginger wine. She had ID but because I was with her and didn't, they wouldn't let us buy it!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    Don't know if its an urban myth, but I thought it was illegal if you concentrate it via heat, but not if you did it by chilling it and removing the water. The way they did it with those ice beers that were popular a few years back.

As for the pubs, I cant understand why they have not done something. It would be easy to change the VAT rate they have to pay. I'd actually make it so that you had to be 21 to buy from a supermarket or an offy but you can drink in pubs at 18. This would make it harder for underage drinkers to get their booze. Its easy for a 16 year old to pass for 18, but its not that easy for them to pass as 21
    I was in Asda today and they are supposed to check people buying booze if they look under 25.
    Not a problem for me, obv.

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Don't know if its an urban myth, but I thought it was illegal if you concentrate it via heat, but not if you did it by chilling it and removing the water. The way they did it with those ice beers that were popular a few years back.

As for the pubs, I cant understand why they have not done something. It would be easy to change the VAT rate they have to pay. I'd actually make it so that you had to be 21 to buy from a supermarket or an offy but you can drink in pubs at 18. This would make it harder for underage drinkers to get their booze. Its easy for a 16 year old to pass for 18, but its not that easy for them to pass as 21

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Isn't home use OK ?
    No.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    <cough>I'm sure that's a joke as it's illegal. Hypothetically speaking, I wonder if these kits are any good?
    Isn't home use OK ?

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    Oh yes, and I've had a batch or two of beer and wine go bad - what I plan to do this year is distill my own alcohol from it!

Process Engineering FTW!
    <cough>I'm sure that's a joke as it's illegal. Hypothetically speaking, I wonder if these kits are any good?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X