• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Family members taking the piss with money"

Collapse

• Kelstar
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Probably held his head under the sheets as a kid as he let rip.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    tell him he is mistaken

Teacher pensions contributions for 2012-13 announced - In the news

Who's telling the truth in the public sector pension row? | News | guardian.co.uk

This shows that this year the civil service pension scheme will be in deficit by £2.1bn; the teachers pension scheme in deficit by £3bn; the armed forces in deficit by £1.6bn; the judicial pension scheme will be balanced; and the NHS pension scheme will be £1.8bn in profit.

If I could get the equivalent pension privately I would take it.
    I thought as much I told him he was talking through his rear at the time, surely it'll reach the point where they will have to call time on these pension schemes

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Let it go.

Life isn't worth stressing over such small things. Make excuses for the guy and you sleep better. If he has done it on purpose then he will suffer in the end. What goes around, comes around.
    No way should he.

This guy is taking the piss. He's laughing at the OP. Probably held his head under the sheets as a kid as he let rip. He's still doing it. £20 today. His wife tomorrow. I'd recommend knee capping.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    I have a good friend who's a teacher in Carmarthen and he was saying that given the contributions they make their pensions are more or less funded by themselves without any additional funds from the taxpayer
    tell him he is mistaken

Teacher pensions contributions for 2012-13 announced - In the news

Who's telling the truth in the public sector pension row? | News | guardian.co.uk

This shows that this year the civil service pension scheme will be in deficit by £2.1bn; the teachers pension scheme in deficit by £3bn; the armed forces in deficit by £1.6bn; the judicial pension scheme will be balanced; and the NHS pension scheme will be £1.8bn in profit.

If I could get the equivalent pension privately I would take it.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    Let it go.

Life isn't worth stressing over such small things. Make excuses for the guy and you sleep better. If he has done it on purpose then he will suffer in the end. What goes around, comes around.
    Good point ... on an unrelated matter could I borrow twenty quid?

Leave a comment:

• NorthWestPerm2Contr
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Am I the only one?

Seems family seem to think I'm loaded and lucky to be so and, as such, they can screw me over with small amounts of money.

Recently, mrs bought present for mother for xmas off her and other siblings. She was the one had all the hassle of going out and buying, wrapping etc as well. All paid up apart from one brother who, for some reason, left £20 outstanding.

Polite reminders but still no dosh. Don't think he can be arsed now.
    Thing is I thinks he's more minted than me - no kids, drives new BMW, takes about 4-5 holidays a year.

Yeh, I know its £20 but is the principle. Pretty bad how he can stitch a family member u up even if it is for a small amount. And, in effect, he's not paid much for his own mothers xmas present. Even if I was skint as a dog I don't think I could do that!

Aint the first time I've had this with family though.... Not that they know how much I earn but once they found out we pay a cleaner they seem to think we're fair game now!
    Let it go.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Nope.

Eyer Edjumakashen.
    I have a good friend who's a teacher in Carmarthen and he was saying that given the contributions they make their pensions are more or less funded by themselves without any additional funds from the taxpayer

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    ZeitSorror earns 5 or 6 times wot Zeity earns.

And will get a gold plated pension on top of it.
    Civil Serpent?

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Agree with you mate. Not many clients pay £100s per day for easy jobs or for lazy buggers. If I earn that then its not luck.

Looks I aint got the only family like it. I had similar thing with a family meal. Bill came - about £18 per head (10 people) or something (cant remember exaxt details it was years ago!) I remember so most of us chucked in £20 per person. Last person was BIL who counted it all out (£160 from 8 people in the pot already for £180 bill) then said, no need for a tip that big, chucked in a £20 note for him and the mrs to make it exactly £180. Then put a £2 coin in and said, that'll do for the tip.

Basically, took everyone elses tip money to pay for one of his/wifes meals. I was somewhat stunned at this.

Worse thing was wife knew waitress from years ago so it was a bit embarrassing to leave a £2 tip for £180 meal. Never again.
    I just can't imagine that happening with anyone I know, family or otherwise.

If anyone did try it, they'd get torn to shreds until they coughed up.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I quite like the idea of being able to legitimately punch certain family members!
    It is an absolute god send!

He came over a few months ago and I suggested some training in the back garden with helmets, pads etc. He ended up needing a standing 15 count and eventually stopped when I gave him a bleeding nose (this was unarmed rather than with swords).

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Agree with you mate. Not many clients pay £100s per day for easy jobs or for lazy buggers. If I earn that then its not luck.

Looks I aint got the only family like it. I had similar thing with a family meal. Bill came - about £18 per head (10 people) or something (cant remember exaxt details it was years ago!) I remember so most of us chucked in £20 per person. Last person was BIL who counted it all out (£160 from 8 people in the pot already for £180 bill) then said, no need for a tip that big, chucked in a £20 note for him and the mrs to make it exactly £180. Then put a £2 coin in and said, that'll do for the tip.

Basically, took everyone elses tip money to pay for one of his/wifes meals. I was somewhat stunned at this.

Worse thing was wife knew waitress from years ago so it was a bit embarrassing to leave a £2 tip for £180 meal. Never again.
    Very bad form.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    If I did that they'd advertise it in the South Wales Echo and everyone in Cardiff would know lol
    they'd expect you to buy a few streets in the old parish mate.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I suffer a sponger as a brother in law - he is also quite amusing and it always amusing to listen to his stories, he wears 8 stone of armour when he fights (erm ... no you don't), he was a member of my local choir (he went with me to one rehersal), he had a pulse rate in the low 40s (hmmm ... I doubt it), he used to train several times a week and bike miles to and from work (I knew him then and ran the training sessions that he was not at), he used to box (he went to two training sessions) and that is just what I can remember off the top of my head.

He, his girlfriend, my mother and his parents went out for a meal when my mother visited (she no longer works but always had a part time job whilst raising me since my father died when I was 10) and my BiL and his GF spent most of the meal boasting about how many thousands they have in the bank (given by her grandfather, not earned by either of them) which they are going to spend on their honey moon etc. When the bill came my mother offered to pay her share but my father in law refused and insisted it was his treat. They negotiated and my mother paid the tip - after boasting the entire time about how much money they had they were suddenly silent when the bill appeared.

I used to like it when he came training because I could hit him really hard without getting grief from the wife (I even concussed him through his helmet once).

He insists that he wants a job which pays the same as mine but does not want to do the several years of groundwork - always makes for a lively discussion when he tries to tell me how 'lucky' I am.
    I quite like the idea of being able to legitimately punch certain family members!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    They expect me to pay all the time, I just don't.

I have one brother who through a combination of luck and hard work, is self made (he bought a plot of land to build a house on, which Sainsbury's took their fancy to, and after long negotiations, made an absolute mint (7 numbers) out of it all. He still, for some reason, expects me to pay for tulip when we all meet up. We had a family meal for Mum and Dad, in which 20 people turned up, direct family. I was on my own, him with wife and 3 kids, and somehow, he tried to expain how I should pay half. He was told to foxtrot too.

Fook them psychocandy. I've worked feckin hard to get where I am, and the people who should benefit from that are my wife and kids, not someone elses.

Leave a comment:

• Kelstar
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Rub their noses in it, if they're being cocks. They'll soon stop bothering you.

Agreed! Sarcasm is my form of defence.

"Yip, I'm minted, it's brilliant!"

I'm not at all, I just refuse to spend money on nonsense and save up for nice things.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X