• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Question for the foodies"

Collapse

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You're probably right about parasites not being about in today's animals although I'm sure some consider meat that hasn't had worm medicine to be better. On the other hand when we are already eating 100% raw meats in tartare, carpaccio, etc, it seems fine to me.
    I don't know about meat but within the EU fish that is to be eaten raw has to be frozen to a certain temperature (-24C I think) to kill any parasites.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    The aim is to get fall apart, spoon or fork into shreds, type meat dishes. Lamb/Beef curries, Chillis, Ropa vieja etc

What do the panel recommend?
    Slow cooking. You need to keep cooking well beyond the stage where it gets dried out and tough in order to break the collagen down. A good beating with a steak hammer will help as well.

Leave a comment:

• Pogle
    replied
    Oh god this thread has made me want one now.

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Marinade overnight in the fridge + slow cooker all day the next day FTW.

For e.g.: Braised pork with plums recipe - Recipes - BBC Good Food

Leave a comment:

• cailin maith
    replied
    I really fancy trying a slow cooker. I saw Crock Pots half price in Tesco at the weekend and was tempted....

We used to have a pressure cooker at home when I was a kid, after a failed attempt at making popcorn in the wok (Yes, I know!!) my Dad decided to try in the pressure cooker - whatever he did the weight ended up embedded in the ceiling. We didn't get any popcorn & my Mam went nuts

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    I essentially slow cook it in the Thermomix.
    (Thermomix - the unique food processor that also weighs, blends, grinds, kneads, steams and cooks! in case you're not familiar with that device)

I prep by leaving the meat in buttermilk or natural yogurt overnight.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    One of the TV chefs (not Heston) was in the news recently over how they prepared some form of liver, IIRC they were cooking it at 40 degrees or something crazy.

You're probably right about parasites not being about in today's animals although I'm sure some consider meat that hasn't had worm medicine to be better. On the other hand when we are already eating 100% raw meats in tartare, carpaccio, etc, it seems fine to me.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Low-temperature cooking is fine though it has to not be too low.
    Hence 55-65, over a very long period to break down the collagen.

I don't think you have to worry about pork worms anymore.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Looks potentially dangerous to me for meat. Would it kill possible worm eggs in pork for example?
    Low-temperature cooking is fine though it has to not be too low.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    I too am looking at sous vide, and currently dropping hints all over the house about my brithday coming up...
    Looks potentially dangerous to me for meat. Would it kill possible worm eggs in pork for example?

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Alias View Post
    yes I realise that but it still concerns me, at any moderate temperature plastic gives off chemicals and infusing them into food gives me rise to worry...but then plenty have eaten them and no conclusive proof of harm so maybe its just a mental hurdle for me to get over?
    Sous vide is carried out at 65 degrees or lower and there are preferred types of bag that are used specifically for this prupose rather than boggo plastic bags.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
    Since I think my Mumsnet account was errr.. disabled after our holiday, I'm going to ask on here.

The question is Pressure cookers Vs Slow cookers. The aim is to get fall apart, spoon or fork into shreds, type meat dishes. Lamb/Beef curries, Chillis, Ropa vieja etc

What do the panel recommend?
    An AGA

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Question for the foodies

Black Peas cooked in a pressure cooker, hmmm!

Gonna get one!

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Slow cooker, never owned a pressure cooker.

Stick it on when you leave in the morning, lovely meal when you get home.

Gammon, Curries, Stews, Soups.

Leave a comment:

• Alias
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    It's normally at quite low ish temps like 55, 60 degrees.
    yes I realise that but it still concerns me, at any moderate temperature plastic gives off chemicals and infusing them into food gives me rise to worry...but then plenty have eaten them and no conclusive proof of harm so maybe its just a mental hurdle for me to get over?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X