• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "As a contractor do you sometimes lose perspective when it comes to money?!"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by Kelstar View Post
    When I started out my tactic was to, as quick as I could:

1. Be debt free
    2. Save 12 months warchest
    3. Upgrade my banger is it is at the embarrassing stage
    4. Keep bills below £1.5k a month

19 months in - all done

No matter what the rate no.4 is really important for me. My aim is to have financial freedom, not increase my financial commitments. Years of student debt and worrying, its so nice to not be in that position anymore.
    Of course. Less bills = less warchest needed to last same amount of months.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by formant View Post
    Ok, I hardly ever pay cash for anything, so I probably could, too. But I don't want to know in that much detail. I'm happy if it all adds up overall.
    I dont mind spending money as long as I know where its gone. I hate just thinking where did that £500 go?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
    Amen. Life is too short to be worried about money all day.
    You assumed in your post that I was worried about money. I'm not. Far from it. I can choose to buy anything anytime I want. I'm a numbers person and so subsequently I enjoy data modeling and that is all this is.

Plus I don't like surprises.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Ah, then they were poor examples, the someone suing you was not because I expect it to happen - I was merely trying to think of examples of sudden, unexpected cash demands.

If you have really never spared a thought to balance income and outgoings and have still found yourself this well off then you have been very lucky. If I simply spent on the assumption that the money was there I am pretty sure I would crash fairly soon and that is without an expected emergency!
    Probably disingenious, for I have, but that was pre IT to be honest. I have been lucky in that I left Uni, where I met the wife and we both picked up cracking jobs, pre kids, then both went contracting for about 8 years before we had kids. After a while she wanted to give up work, but we'd already put lots by, just by dint of not having spent it. She's an Oracle Financials bod and earned serious wodge in the city.

But even when we were students, we didn't really budget per se.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I genuinely don't think about the roof caving in, nor a bizarre illness, as insurance covers both.
    Ah, then they were poor examples, the someone suing you was not because I expect it to happen - I was merely trying to think of examples of sudden, unexpected cash demands.

I also have utterly no idea of what I spend a month. Genuinely. When we were both contractors, or just me as one.
    If you have really never spared a thought to balance income and outgoings and have still found yourself this well off then you have been very lucky. If I simply spent on the assumption that the money was there I am pretty sure I would crash fairly soon and that is without an expected emergency!

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by Normie View Post
    This thread has made me have a look at my finances - something I don't do very often.

Total outgoings per month on bills are £700 - not including food or beer spending money, etc. Mortgage paid off, so bills are just for car/house insurance, car tax, phone, council tax, water, electric and gas. So adding on food and beer money looking at about £1500 a month outgoings - luckily this is just about covered by my wifes salary.

So basically, my contracting income is "spare" and has been for about the last 5 years. This has resulted in a fairly large war chest and lots of retained profits in the company account. I've been contracting just over 10 years, never been out of contract and averaging £400+ per day.

My main concern is that we don't spend enough! My wife is frugal beyond belief and so am I to a certain extent. I need to put together a spreadsheet detailing our finances - show her our outgoings/incomings, show her the value of our accummalated savings and tell her to start spending and actually enjoying the financial postition we are in! Our lifestyle is no different to our family and friends - no really expensive holidays, no flash cars, no flash clothes, etc - if they knew how much I earned they would be in total shock.
    Great that you've paid the mortgage off, that's a major achievement.

I must admit that I was very tight the first few years that I contracted and lived well below my means. The wife was understanding and we planned to build a substantial warchest before letting the pursestrings loose. This was a very defensive stance to take but it paid off in many ways because 8 years' contracting has given us a solid financial foundation. I think it took 4 years of almost continual contracting before I felt comfortable enough to spend more and take a little more time off.

Kids have certainly added in a challenge to the finances and any thoughts of early (part) retirement have been dashed, but I love them to bits so I don't mind.

Certainly you (should) know your finances and future plans (kids etc) better than anyone, so let that determine your financial plans too.

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    I like to enjoy life but I don't spend money just for the sake of it.

I like the feeling of having the available cash to splurge if I so wish, but nice to have the security of a 3 year warchest ( minimum, savings) and at least a year in the company.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    If you are in the lucky position to be content with your moderate lifestyle, knowing you have the resources to weather any storms, spending money just because you can doesn't sound a great idea to me. Spend it on things that need it without thinking twice rather than finding things to spend it on.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by Normie View Post
    This thread has made me have a look at my finances - something I don't do very often.

Total outgoings per month on bills are £700 - not including food or beer spending money, etc. Mortgage paid off, so bills are just for car/house insurance, car tax, phone, council tax, water, electric and gas. So adding on food and beer money looking at about £1500 a month outgoings - luckily this is just about covered by my wifes salary.

So basically, my contracting income is "spare" and has been for about the last 5 years. This has resulted in a fairly large war chest and lots of retained profits in the company account. I've been contracting just over 10 years, never been out of contract and averaging £400+ per day.

My main concern is that we don't spend enough! My wife is frugal beyond belief and so am I to a certain extent. I need to put together a spreadsheet detailing our finances - show her our outgoings/incomings, show her the value of our accummalated savings and tell her to start spending and actually enjoying the financial postition we are in! Our lifestyle is no different to our family and friends - no really expensive holidays, no flash cars, no flash clothes, etc - if they knew how much I earned they would be in total shock.
    Amen. Life is too short to be worried about money all day.

Leave a comment:

• Normie
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    I am a contractor myself - not having money worries is not the same as spending without a thought.

You are only, realistically, able to spend without a thought when you already know that you have enough money in the bank to cover everything that is likely to happen (roof caving in, sudden bizarre illness, someone suing you [eh?]etc). Otherwise you are just being wreckless.

I would also guess that you have a good idea how much you generally spend a month and that you can cover it easily, hence you have already instinctively done the spreadsheet style calculation - it is just in your head rather than on a PC.
    I genuinely don't think about the roof caving in, nor a bizarre illness, as insurance covers both.

I also have utterly no idea of what I spend a month. Genuinely. When we were both contractors, or just me as one.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I don't think that's true. No way is he smart enough to take A-Levels.
    I'm told you like taking A-Levels MF

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The only reason OH has no money worries is because he still lives with his parents, at least until he fails his A-Levels for spending all day on CUK and gets kicked out of home.
    Honestly d000hg, do you have to do this everytime? I think it's demonstrable I think you're ancock and vice-versa, how about you stop stalking me mate for it's tiresome and I am sure you can make better use of your bandwidth, like looking up pictures of naked man, which we all know you prefer.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The only reason OH has no money worries is because he still lives with his parents, at least until he fails his A-Levels for spending all day on CUK and gets kicked out of home.
    I don't think that's true. No way is he smart enough to take A-Levels.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X