• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "First contract - what am I doing wrong?"

Collapse

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    To be followed by Bodgit and Scarper.
    They would be my builders.

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman
    Hi Captain. That isn't my full skill set. I was just answering a specific question from Bogeyman. Without wanting to get into a discussion of my skills, I work in unix systems engineering at the enterprise level: large servers, disk arrays, tape libraries, DR, system design and architecture. I know I can command a reasonable rate in London. My problem is I would rather stay outside London.

Also, money is not my main driver. What I hope to get from contracting is a feeling of independance and more time off than permie (permy?) work allows.
    Given the nature of your skills UM, you have to be in reasonable commuting distance of a city. Perhaps you can work from home some (or most) of the time, but you'll still need to get to the client site on a fairly regular basis.

What part of the country would you prefer? Are you married? Kids?

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Originally posted by Captain Jack
    Unixman, I would suspect that you could only command relatively lowly contract roles with that sort of skillset. Most clients look for fairly hardcore developers who can directly add £££'s to the bottom line. I'm afraid system admin dudes are normally seen as either permies or relatively lowly paid perma-temps. Anything you did yonks ago won't count to a client unless you are prepared to lie and blag it.
    Hi Captain. That isn't my full skill set. I was just answering a specific question from Bogeyman. Without wanting to get into a discussion of my skills, I work in unix systems engineering at the enterprise level: large servers, disk arrays, tape libraries, DR, system design and architecture. I know I can command a reasonable rate in London. My problem is I would rather stay outside London.

Also, money is not my main driver. What I hope to get from contracting is a feeling of independance and more time off than permie (permy?) work allows.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    They are good too.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    lie and blagit.

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Not sure how reliable / relevant this is, but I am feeling unusually helpful

Leave a comment:

• Xenophon
    replied
    Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
    Hadn't realised you new my legal team.
    They are a great outfit and no mistake!

Oh, and it is knew of course, but I know you knew that my friend.

Leave a comment:

• The Lone Gunman
    replied
    lie and blagit.
    Hadn't realised you new my legal team.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman
    Hi Guys. People have asked why not go to London when it is 40 mins away. It isn't 40 mins away. To get to the City, door to door takes about 2 hours 20 mins. Hence my reluctance. I live about 45 minutes from Milton Keynes by car.
    Well why did you say you live near Milton Keynes then? That's twice as far as me and I don't say I live near Milton Keynes.

So where are you then? Isn't there a nearer station? At the four points of the compass you can choose from Aylesbury, Bedford, Berko or Northampton.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Jack
    replied
    Unixman, I would suspect that you could only command relatively lowly contract roles with that sort of skillset. Most clients look for fairly hardcore developers who can directly add £££'s to the bottom line. I'm afraid system admin dudes are normally seen as either permies or relatively lowly paid perma-temps. Anything you did yonks ago won't count to a client unless you are prepared to lie and blag it.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Hi Bogeyman. Eons ago I did C and C++. Now I do unix shell and (more often) Perl. I am not a software developer though. I write code only as needed in my systems management role. For example: to help with backup reporting, or space allocation in disk arrays. I would not attempt to pass myself off as a programmer.

Leave a comment:

• Captain Jack
    replied
    Bitbucket, stop posting pics of your favourite tranny everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Bitbucket
    replied

Women in London are really sexy

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    It sounds to me like you're a longway from everywhere !!, well anywhere you could easily get jobs.

I think you're going to have to stay over somewhere in the week anyway.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X