• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ballsed up my curried turkey yet again"

Collapse

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Hmm. Curry sauces can be very good (Patak springs to mind) but do lack a bit of oomph.
    I'd fry the diced onion and garlic with some mustard seeds (optional), add a tsp cumin, tsp coriander(also optional) and either some chilli flakes or some fresh whole chillis (just prick them) then bung in sauce with a few pieces of turkey and gently cook for a while.
    When onion is properly cooked chuck in rest of turkey, heat for a min or two and switch off.
    Go to pub for two (preferably three) hours.
    Return from pub, gently heat through curry while toasting naans or chapattis. Serve.

Don't over cook already cooked meat - recipe for disaster - as it breaks down to a mush.
    Absolutely spot on!!

I'm off round to Zippys.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Fantastic. Thanks all - Thread bookmarked for next year, and +ve reps dished out like new years honours!
    Yep thanks, ya big queen

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Fantastic. Thanks all - Thread bookmarked for next year, and +ve reps dished out like new years honours!
    Why thank you your majesty!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    here's one I made earlier

Ingredients:
    2 med onions
    1tsp cumin seed
    1 tsp black mustard seed
    1tsp dried chilli flakes or 1 red chilli roughly chopped
    2tsp garam masala
    ½ tsp sugar
    Salt to taste
    1 tablespoon water
    1 tin tomatoes
    150ml greek yoghurt
    150g chopped coriander to garnish

[Additional ingredients to add to the base courgette - halved and chopped, mushrooms- chopped, chicken thighs - diced, Prawns, lamb chops – diced/whole, mangetout - halved, green beans - halved, etc and anything else you may like to throw in the pot]

Roughly chop the onions and sweat in a small amount of oil on a low heat for until they are soft, add the cumin and mustard seed and fry for a further minute, then add the garam masala and the water, stirring leave to cook for 5 minutes.

While the onions are sweating prep the other ingredients you wish to add

Then add the tinned tomatoes and the chilli flakes/fresh chilli.

This is where the cooking times will vary depending on what you add to the base mixture
    For chicken or lamb give it 15-20 mins on a low heat.
    For courgettes, give it 5 mins again on a medium heat
    Mushrooms or other veg 6- 10 minutes.

To finish add the sugar, and ensuring the curry is on a low heat, add the yoghurt and then season with the salt. For the health conscious amongst you, you can omit the yoghurt and serve on the side or use goats milk yoghurt.
    Stir through and then garnish with the coriander. I normally serve this with plain steamed rice.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Make it yourself, it doesn't take long and it's much better than out of a jar.

A mate gave me his mum's simplified quick chicken curry, he says it's not as good as her main version but I think it's bloody marvellous and great for the extra meat this time of year.

(Actually Zipp's recipe does sound like a great half-way house recipe...)

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Zippy View Post
    Hmm. Curry sauces can be very good (Patak springs to mind) but do lack a bit of oomph.
    I'd fry the diced onion and garlic with some mustard seeds (optional), add a tsp cumin, tsp coriander(also optional) and either some chilli flakes or some fresh whole chillis (just prick them) then bung in sauce with a few pieces of turkey and gently cook for a while.
    When onion is properly cooked chuck in rest of turkey, heat for a min or two and switch off.
    Return from pub, gently heat through curry while toasting naans or chapattis. Serve.

Don't over cook already cooked meat - recipe for disaster - as it breaks down to a mush.
    I love that 'go to the pub' is part of the recipe

Swoon

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Or..... Try thai -

Fry onion and garlic till soft, add couple teaspoons green curry paste (from supermarket) and mix together. Add can coconut milk, a couple Kaffir lime leaves and bring to the boil then chuck in your diced turkey. Once the juice is thickened - just before serving really, add a mix of tablespoon fish sauce, couple tablespoons soy sauce, juice and zest of lime. Give it another couple of minutes minutes and then serve with boiled rice.

I've made this loads with fresh chicken and the quantities are ideal for a couple of juicy breasts (where's the sid james emoticon?). Works well with turkey too though - I shouldn't really have to say but.... make sure you cook fresh meat through rather than reheating as above! Adjust quantities if you've got 4 kilos of turkey meat too.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Crikey you must be right - I didn't add any of that stuff, and only boiled the concoction for 5 minutes. Any longer and it would all have been stuck to the bottom of the pan.
    Order a take out.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Dice an onion, thinly slice a garlic clove. Fry on a low heat in butter until soft. Add turmeric and cumin. Add the chopped turkey meat. Stir for five- ten minutes, then add the bought sauce, a tin of chopped tomato, a chili pepper or two, some ground pepper, and possibly a little water. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for an hour or two. Leave to cool, then pop it in the fridge for 12-24 hours.

Heat through just before serving with naan bread.

My guess is you didn't cook it long enough to absorb the flavours.
    Crikey you must be right - I didn't add any of that stuff, and only boiled the concoction for 5 minutes. Any longer and it would all have been stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Dice an onion, thinly slice a garlic clove. Fry on a low heat in butter until soft. Add turmeric and cumin. Add the chopped turkey meat. Stir for five- ten minutes, then add the bought sauce, a tin of chopped tomato, a chili pepper or two, some ground pepper, and possibly a little water. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and simmer for an hour or two. Leave to cool, then pop it in the fridge for 12-24 hours.

Heat through just before serving with naan bread.

My guess is you didn't cook it long enough to absorb the flavours.

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied
    ...and turkey doesn't really go with vindaloo sauce anyway.
    This year we had turky fajitas.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Never boil a ready made sauce just heat through.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    started a topic Ballsed up my curried turkey yet again

Ballsed up my curried turkey yet again

Bought a bottle of vindaloo curry sauce, diced the turkey leftovers, and boiled them in it.

But as always the result looks and tastes like vaguely curry tinted diced turkey leftovers, with none of that proper curry result one would get like chicken vindaloo in a curry house.

So what am I doing wrong?

I suspect one bottle of curry sauce (the size of a baked bean can) can only "carry" so much meat, and I tried to mix in too much. Or does something need adding to give an authentic curry house texture and better mask the turkey taste? Or is curry sauce rubbish and not fit for purpose anyway?

Working...
X