• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Child benefit

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Child benefit"

Collapse

• Hawk
    replied
    We put the money in their childrens ISA's.

I know of contractors paying themselves minimum wage and claiming working tax credits. All legal if morally questionable.

I see no problem with any approach

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I spend all my child benefits on beer n tabs

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    They're both loony fringe, one just has better PR.
    Ah, something we can very much agree on.

Considering UKIP frequently count perfectly legal EU citizens into their 'illegal immigrant' figures, they're really not too far off from the BNP. They're about quite a bit more (unpleasant stuff) than just wanting out of the EU.

Bit off-topic though.
    Last edited by formant; 7 December 2012, 11:40.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Child benefit

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    For a 1-man company like a contractor it is, well not a scam, but a loophole. I thought the idea of this was that in small businesses, both partners end up involved whether they wanted to be or not. I can certainly see this being banned for PSCs.

I think they want to, I don't think they will succeed. To be honest it wouldn't bother me 35% of the company income is no longer contracting related and that is rapidly increasing. When I finish at the current clientco I think that'll be it.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Scam? Its been around since the 1930's and I think it only appeared then because prior to that a wife's income was deemed to be the man's.
    For a 1-man company like a contractor it is, well not a scam, but a loophole. I thought the idea of this was that in small businesses, both partners end up involved whether they wanted to be or not. I can certainly see this being banned for PSCs.

Originally posted by StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff View Post
    Why have you placed the BNP and UKIP in same sentence like that? Your sentence encourages a belief that the two parties are similar in nature. I can assure you they are not. One is a party run by racist facists (BNP) and the other is a party run by people of all creeds, that want the UK out of the EU.
    They're both loony fringe, one just has better PR.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Scam? Its been around since the 1930's and I think it only appeared then because prior to that a wife's income was deemed to be the man's.
    Just a turn of phrase, I'm in the take what you can get camp, and just reorganised 'my affairs' to keep child benefit. I wouldn't criticise Starbucks or the worst of the benefit scrougers, if they can get away it then its the useless goverments fault, not theirs.

I'm currently having a rest from contracting so haven't been keeping up with things, whats the current status of S660 ?

Leave a comment:

• formant
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Well, on the same basis I could have taken no divvies and got a full maintenance grant for my daughter to go to Uni.

But that, to me, felt "immoral" (i.e. wrong) and I didn't do it.

I suspect your average man on the street would consider it "immoral" that a contractor earning > 60K a year continues to get child benefit.

But in this case I'm not changing what I already do - it's just how it panned out. Still feels wrong though. I expect I'll get over it.
    IMHO, morality isn't a great angle to throw at this. I for example don't think it's moral to financially penalise those who've held off on reproduction until they could actually afford their offspring.

I find it immoral that we all fund a benefit system that simply doesn't benefit us all. In countries like Germany you pay higher taxes/social security but if you then lose you're job you're not completely screwed, as you'll get roughly 70% of your previous income for a year - it's a safety net for everyone, not just for those at the very bottom. Here you get 71 quid a week on contributions based jobseekers. Other benefits are only available to those households with no working family members. :-/

I mean, I'm glad I made it to a point where £20/week in child benefit doesn't actually matter - but I certainly care about the implications of this.

I think you shouldn't worry too much about this.

The maintenance grant is a very different cut-off though as far as I'm aware, which may be going to slightly excessive lengths if you try to claim that anyway. Nothing wrong with that though. Your taxes already funded that, too.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    Ahhhh ! Good thinking batman. Forgetting the old spouse and 50/50 shareholder scam.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Ahhhh ! Good thinking batman. Forgetting the old spouse and 50/50 shareholder scam.
    Yeah, I'm starting to feel less "guilty" already.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    His wife.

Leave a comment:

• StopTheEarthIwantToGetOff
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    Donate it to the BNP or UKIP and write to your locale MP to tell them you are doing so.
    Why have you placed the BNP and UKIP in same sentence like that? Your sentence encourages a belief that the two parties are similar in nature. I can assure you they are not. One is a party run by racist facists (BNP) and the other is a party run by people of all creeds, that want the UK out of the EU.

Don't work for Rochdale council do you?

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    ??? 50K paid out in salary/divis, 40K into a pension ( any more would be daft now ), where's the other 50K going ?
    His wife.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    You should organise your corporate and personal affairs better. I think I would need to legally draw roughly £140,000 a year from my company before I would be hit by the child benefit rules.
    ??? 50K paid out in salary/divis, 40K into a pension ( any more would be daft now ), where's the other 50K going ?

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Child benefit

It's only temporary until you head to the states. Then it'll be the $70,000 health care bill you complain about

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Well, on the same basis I could have taken no divvies and got a full maintenance grant for my daughter to go to Uni.

But that, to me, felt "immoral" (i.e. wrong) and I didn't do it.

I suspect your average man on the street would consider it "immoral" that a contractor earning > 60K a year continues to get child benefit.

But in this case I'm not changing what I already do - it's just how it panned out. Still feels wrong though. I expect I'll get over it.
    I'm glad I'm above average.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X