• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Snow troubles? WIMPS!"

Collapse

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I gave up and went to the pub instead.
    Ah... the life strategy that's guided me for many years now

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    On the plus side, if the human race ever goes extinct and is succeeded by advanced robots like in that film I Robot, or if aliens drop by, then there will be a perfectly preserved human specimen for them to discover, embedded in the Antarctic ice (although they may be a bit puzzled by the lack of fingers).

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OwlHoot again.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    There's a fine line between "Because it's there" and "Because I'm an idiot"
    On the plus side, if the human race ever goes extinct and is succeeded by advanced robots like in that film I Robot, or if aliens drop by, then there will be a perfectly preserved human specimen for them to discover, embedded in the Antarctic ice (although they may be a bit puzzled by the lack of fingers).

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Are we meant to believe you? Where is it you live? Ah, Holland. Not exactly famous for its hills :-)
    We have a thing nearby called a 'berg', which is a slightly ambitious name as it's 70 metres high.

Leave a comment:

• RasputinDude
    replied
    His autobiography is very good read - he's quite honest about why he does these things - it's how he makes his money; he raises his profile in doing an expedition and then lives off the earnings of after-dinner speaking for a while.

Personally, I think he's an inspiring character.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I rode up a hill yesterday in wind and snow. Well I didn't because the rear wheel kept slipping, so I picked up the bike, slung it over my shoulders and soldiered on to reach the top through a total white out, then stepped back on and blasted downhill, regardless of the ice, actually I didn't; I gave up and went to the pub instead.
    Are we meant to believe you? Where is it you live? Ah, Holland. Not exactly famous for its hills :-)

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    >> trek on foot across the Antarctic in wintertime.
    >> Temperatures are expected to reach no more than about -70C.

Why not try walking across Mars or something?! Madness.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I remember my ex-father-out-law saying that Colonel H Jones was an idiot. As he fought in the 8th army I suppose he had the right to say it. But maybe he had a point.

Leave a comment:

• Old Hack
    replied
    I remember reading about him taking the tops of his frostbitten fingers off with a black and decker in his shed. I think that's rather odd behaviour, so him doing this, well, like those extreme sportsmen and women, you just know you're going to be reading about them towards the end of the paper within a few years.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I did cycle to work while it was -2 today. Does that count?
    No. Ran Fiennes is 68 and it'll be -92 in Antarctica.

I rode up a hill yesterday in wind and snow. Well I didn't because the rear wheel kept slipping, so I picked up the bike, slung it over my shoulders and soldiered on to reach the top through a total white out, then stepped back on and blasted downhill, regardless of the ice, actually I didn't; I gave up and went to the pub instead.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I did cycle to work while it was -2 today. Does that count?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    started a topic Snow troubles? WIMPS!

Snow troubles? WIMPS!

Fears of Sir Ranulph Fiennes ahead of lung-bursting 'impossible' journey across Antarctica - Telegraph

Working...
X