• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: NoSQL database

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "NoSQL database"

Collapse

• swamp
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    Tis interesting. Apparently, traditional RDBMS couldn’t handle the vast amount of data the likes of Google processes.
    Facebook used to run on MySQL. It didn't scale so they wrote Cassandra instead.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by swamp View Post
    NoSQL:

1. Little or no normalisation or type safety.
    2. Data structures have to be designed in terms of how you retrieve them.

Now point 1. may be a bit scary for old-school developers/DBAs, but with vast numbers of automated tests you can argue you don't really need guaranteed DB integrity.

Point 2. sounds awkward, but on the flip side you can change your schemas whenever you want.

Mix it all together and you get something that is massively scalable.

Tis interesting. Apparently, traditional RDBMS couldn’t handle the vast amount of data the likes of Google processes. I’ll be learning these new techniques over the season of good will and applying to the portfolio – a new box is on order to conduct these tests.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Several TB of data, all memory resident, spread across a 20 node, 80 CPU, 640 core cluster - with guaranteed sub millisecond access to any piece of data, including complex aggregations?

That really was some impressive "stuff" you were doing "back in the day."
    Ahem.

For the hardware available 30 years ago we got some impressive results.

Says Sysman who managed to cut something that took all weekend to run down to 20 minutes...

By redesigning keys.

My statement still stands.

Leave a comment:

• swamp
    replied
    NoSQL:

1. Little or no normalisation or type safety.
    2. Data structures have to be designed in terms of how you retrieve them.

Now point 1. may be a bit scary for old-school developers/DBAs, but with vast numbers of automated tests you can argue you don't really need guaranteed DB integrity.

Point 2. sounds awkward, but on the flip side you can change your schemas whenever you want.

Mix it all together and you get something that is massively scalable.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    They're potty to use[*] - I got the hang of MongoDB in half an hour and was merrily coding away using it in perl & python scripts

[*] But for flip's sake don't tell the clients that!
    +1. Mongodb is easypeasy.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Sum bozo was on 'bout this today. What's the crack with NoSQL databases; google and others use 'em? Do I need to worry?

(if there is a solution to the problem don't worry - if there's no solution to the problem don't worry)

Yours in peace.

They're potty to use[*] - I got the hang of MongoDB in half an hour and was merrily coding away using it in perl & python scripts

[*] But for flip's sake don't tell the clients that!

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Some of us were quite good at that stuff back in the day.
    Several TB of data, all memory resident, spread across a 20 node, 80 CPU, 640 core cluster - with guaranteed sub millisecond access to any piece of data, including complex aggregations?

That really was some impressive "stuff" you were doing "back in the day."

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Perhaps CUK General is not the best place to ask this question. I wonder if the internet might hold any information Or even CUK Technical!

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    They'll do it wrong. The thing to ask them is why do they want to do it and then why at least three more times.

At its crudest No SQL is really just glorified key values and unless you have those keys set up correctly the data is worse than useless. Well not quite but it's work to get it out
    Some of us were quite good at that stuff back in the day.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    You need to hire an experienced contractor who knows what he/she is doing.

Unfortunately, I'm just about to start a new gig. next week.

Give me a call in the Spring.

I'm possible available January. i'm not however planning for a commute much further than bedroom to my office in the spare bedroom.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Sum bozo was on 'bout this today. What's the crack with NoSQL databases; google and others use 'em? Do I need to worry?
    You need to hire an experienced contractor who knows what he/she is doing.

Unfortunately, I'm just about to start a new gig. next week.

Give me a call in the Spring.

Leave a comment:

• garethevans1986
    replied
    TekPub - RavenDb videos...go watch.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Having to put some effort in and learn new stuff.

Most of these tools are quite easy for any half competent developer. Its great if you get in first then can add another £100 a day for these skills.

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    NoSQL database

They'll do it wrong. The thing to ask them is why do they want to do it and then why at least three more times.

At its crudest No SQL is really just glorified key values and unless you have those keys set up correctly the data is worse than useless. Well not quite but it's work to get it out

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Why do you need to worry. Its another tool which can be used for particular tasks which has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.
    Having to put some effort in and learn new stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X