• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Garden fire roulette...."

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Mystery Explosion in Indiana

Suppose that a five gallon container of gasoline tipped over and spilled, then evaporated into a closed space. How much explosive power would it have? Again, the answer is surprising: 700 million joules, equivalent to a 400 pound bomb!

So, playing Sherlock, my best guess is that gasoline spilled in an enclosed space such as a well-insulated midwestern basement, which also accounts for the fact that no one smelled the distinctive aroma of a gas leak.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post

I do hope Wilmslow stays on the bench. I look forward to the stories of drink driving, running down hells angels on the M62, sliiping roofies into girls drinks, etcetc.

More please!
    And the mad bastard is a childline volunteer, the mind ******* boggles, it really does.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied

I do hope Wilmslow stays on the bench. I look forward to the stories of drink driving, running down hells angels on the M62, sliiping roofies into girls drinks, etcetc.

More please!

Leave a comment:

• Gruffalo
    replied
    Once the fire took hold, there was no stopping it.

Fantastic plumes of smoke - had so much fun I even burned the contents that fitted into the green wheelie bin.

Both neighbours went out in their cars, so mission accomplished. No more of the kids yelling for attention that the incompetent parents don't give (the 7 year old cried out daddy, you dont spend any time with me last week)

The sooner I start my new job the better I think - I have too much time on my hands just now for my own safety and sanity!!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Wilmsy, you don't have mad neighbours, you are the mad neighbour.
    It's like that film Shrooms

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Haven't we established that everything Wilmslow posts is true, he really is the real-life embodiment of Frank Spencer?

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
    You mean, I nearly boomed?!?!

Street is absolutely smoking, the majority has been nicely burned.

Just enough left for the green wheely bin, aint going to push my luck with my mad neighbours too much!
    Wilmsy, you don't have mad neighbours, you are the mad neighbour.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    So what happens with this type of post then? We are supposed to comment on it like we are pretending it is true or are only people that really believe it is true is allowed to play along?
    I find that works best. (e.g.)

It's a bad idea to try to burn green wood

a) it doesn't light very well
    b) once you've added the refined oil products, it burns with a lot of smoke.
    Have you tried butane (cans of lighter fuel)?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    The mad neighbours won't mind the smoke?

We did this once (not the stupid petrol part), we'd cut down some lelandii and were having a garden fire and figured we might as well burn them. Smoke so thick you couldn't see, neighbours shouting over the fence, etc, but once they were lit it seemed we'd better let them burn.

Leave a comment:

• Gruffalo
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    It's Wilmslow!!!!!
    Ooops, wrong logon

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied

Just enough left for the green wheely bin, aint going to push my luck with my mad neighbours too much!
    It's Wilmslow!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    So what happens with this type of post then? We are supposed to comment on it like we are pretending it is true or are only people that really believe it is true is allowed to play along?

Leave a comment:

• Gruffalo
    replied

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Sounds like most of the petrol burned first, and just a small vapour remnant detonated.

Otherwise you wouldn't have been around to post that, seriously.

Lighting petrol in enclosed spaces, such as a burner or even a garage, is insanely dangerous. That's what paraffin is for.
    Booooooooooooooooo.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    It literally detonated.

Gave the neighbours kid playing in the garden a real shock!!!
    Sounds like most of the petrol burned first, and just a small vapour remnant detonated.

Otherwise you wouldn't have been around to post that, seriously.

Lighting petrol in enclosed spaces, such as a burner or even a garage, is insanely dangerous. That's what paraffin is for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X