• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Scotch bonnets

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Scotch bonnets"

Collapse

• Old Hack
    replied
    Scotch bonnets, pah, childrens plaything.

I grow my own Bhut Jolokias/Ghost chillies and them's makes the difference twixt man and boy. I believe the Dorset Naga's have been superceeded by some chap in the midlands cross breeding some. The first year I grew my own, the first one to grow, I took from the plant and took a chunk out of, to see just how hot they were. I found out that they are kin hot, as in, lose the ability to speak for a short while.

My favourite chilli is either the F1 Banana hybrid (sweet chilli taste, with nice heat) or the chippotle, which adds an almost chocolately flavour to a chilli (good tip is to put a little chocolate in a chilli by the way, a nice plain chocolate).

Med curries often best flavoured with chilli oil (a good strong one) as they are not so highly spiced. I make my chilli oils with a small easy to grow chilli called a Prairie Fire; easy to grow outdoors (uncovered), cracking heat and good yield. I also make a chilli oil with the Bhut Jolokias, but them's manly oils.

I made a chilli with 2 Bhut Jolokias last bonfire night. T'was a night the pan was used often, and the head buzzed.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    I've just made "Weeping Tiger" with Naga Jolokia chilli. I used one (wore gloves this time round because I burnt my bellend bunnet last time).

If you do forget to wash/glove up and accidentally touch the bunnet, I suggest immersing the affected apparatus in a pot of chilled yoghurt, a la Wilt (Tom Sharpe).

It does work but probably not a good idea to put the yoghurt back in the fridge and recounting the hilarity to your wife as she's just finished her yoghurt and muesli breakfast.

Leave a comment:

• Jubber
    replied
    Scotch Bonnett? A chilli for schoolgirls.

Dorset Nagas. Now they be chillies.

You can buy them by the bush, mail order..

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Anyone got a good recipe for a Mediterranean curry? Ideally with lots of dried herbs etc.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff Maginty
    replied
    Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 7 June 2022, 18:33.

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post

Top Tip #23 After you've chopped your chilli, don't touch your willy
    My whiney ex did that (despite being told to be careful). Wish I'd had some Tena Lady in.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    You've shat in it

Top Tip #23 After you've chopped your chilli, don't touch your willy

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    And that's why I don't eat curry.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Added #2 now
    You've shat in it

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Too late. Curry is awesome but it does make your insides tingle. Sinuses are clearing nicely

Leave a comment:

• Freamon
    replied
    Grab a spare carrier bag and put your hand inside it whilst chopping. Afterwards, grab the waste (seeds etc) through the bag and bin both together.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Wear disposable gloves. Or just do what I do - handle very carefully. I use one Scotch Bonnet if my kids will be eating the curry, otherwise two. Scotch Bonnets are good in that they add a very pleasant flavour as well as heat.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Pour some oil on your hands before handling

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Two deseeded
    WSMS. They are chuffin lethal.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01