• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Linux admin tasks

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Linux admin tasks"

Collapse

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak
    Wot - like the "how can i hack around my client's network without getting caught 'cos I'm too tight to buy my own computer" type posts?

Hmmm..?
    Touché, Jacko.
    But if that post doesn't go down as "mindless tulipe", then what does?

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Wot - like the "how can i hack around my client's network without getting caught 'cos I'm too tight to buy my own computer" type posts?

Hmmm..?

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Moderator !
    Move this thread to "Technical". It's interfering with all the mindless tulipe on here.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Originally posted by DaveB
    Sendmail is quite possibly the worst app to configure on any platform. A useable, understandable and manageable GUI for that would be a godsend.
    Yes indeed.

I tend to just replace it with postfix which is far nicer.

I also use vim!

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I find Windows a good GUI, why don't you use that like normal computer users?

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by TheMonkey
    I use subversion repositories to manage distributed configuration. I ssh to target machines to check out configuration changes over the network and restart the services.

No GUI tools are needed. No GUI tools SHOULD be needed.

Bastards to configure:

dhcpd
    bind
    apache
    sendmail
    lvm / evms
    Sendmail is quite possibly the worst app to configure on any platform. A useable, understandable and manageable GUI for that would be a godsend.

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW
    Can anyone who is into Linux stuff please post here which most commonly used tools are the most annoying to configure and could benefit from nice GUI to do the job - it should be simple to implement too, say cron, Apache is certainly common but also complex. Anything as easy (yet used fairly often) as cron? This is for SKA but not mine.
    I use VIM, or VI if VIM is not available.

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Yeah it is completely bastardised with JavaCruft (tm).

What's wrong with mod_python - far more productive!

Leave a comment:

• Francko
    replied
    Originally posted by Ardesco

(Anyway isn't IBM Websphere just Apache with a fancy GUI???)
    No

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    They are nice and easy until you start doing mass virtual hosting. Then they can become a real pain in the arse. Not only that, but managing multiple levels of AllowOverride on a hosting server per site and not pissing off the users because their htaccess doesn't work is haaaaard.

Apparently IIS7 is going to have a .htaccess style mechanism!!!

Leave a comment:

• Ardesco
    replied
    I personally find apache's configuration files are really quite nice and simple once you get used to them, I think you'd have a hard time convincing any apache user who has got a bit of experiance with them to use a GUI version.

(Anyway isn't IBM Websphere just Apache with a fancy GUI???)

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    Yes indeed.

Ironically it's my 10th anniversary as a Linux user today!

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    GUIs are nice if you're new to Linux, but once you've been using it you start to use the command line...

Leave a comment:

• TheMonkey
    replied
    I use subversion repositories to manage distributed configuration. I ssh to target machines to check out configuration changes over the network and restart the services.

No GUI tools are needed. No GUI tools SHOULD be needed.

Bastards to configure:

dhcpd
    bind
    apache
    sendmail
    lvm / evms

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Can those tools manage multiple servers?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X