• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What would you do in my situation?"

Collapse

• FiveTimes
    replied
    take the job and stop moaning. you have an offer just take it.

Or see if you can find Esther Rantzen and give here a call

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Why not take time off and train for a triathlon?

The Wilmlsow Triathlon is on Sunday 12th May 2013.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Or offer the agent that gets you a decent job £1000 in a brown bag.
    It would be a bit like the referral fees they offer us ie. they'd never actually get it

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by rootsnall View Post
    It doesn't sound that tough out there with all those interviews and a job offer inside a month. Have you tried pressuring the agents/Cos for the 3 preferred jobs by saying you are about to take a less preferred job and can they turn things around quickly so as not to lose your valuable skills !? Worth a try !?
    Or offer the agent that gets you a decent job £1000 in a brown bag.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Why is there no poll with this thread?

Personally I would go back to the Italian neighbours and see if they wanted any hits doing.

Leave a comment:

• rootsnall
    replied
    Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
    It is tough out there - I would urge any die-hard contractors on the bench to look into permie options, but make sure that you just have 4 weeks on that contract with a weeks notice within the first 6 months.......
    It doesn't sound that tough out there with all those interviews and a job offer inside a month. Have you tried pressuring the agents/Cos for the 3 preferred jobs by saying you are about to take a less preferred job and can they turn things around quickly so as not to lose your valuable skills !? Worth a try !?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Morrisons are looking for contract shelf stackers £400 per week.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by Gruffalo View Post
    Good game plan - I like your thinking. Gets me through the season, and gives me a good genuine reason when I am actively looking around Easter time, and gives me breathing space to do a good job on my next role. Money is important, but so is my reputation. (Internet fantasy not counted obviously!!)

Got plenty of experience in my last role - plenty of certified training (ITIL plus, HP QC Admin, Prince2, etc), but the challenge is finding a role where I can use the additional skills I have gained.

I have effectively got a test function up and running from ground zero, introducing the templates, working closely with the PM's etc. The challenge I have is that this kind of role is not available in the area all the time, it is more of a one-off, hence looking to diversify into project management.

It is tough out there - I would urge any die-hard contractors on the bench to look into permie options, but make sure that you just have 4 weeks on that contract with a weeks notice within the first 6 months.......
    Morrisons are looking for contract PMs £400 per day.

Leave a comment:

• Gruffalo
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    take the job, push for training & opportunity.

try for new job again end Q1. cite 20% pay cut as reason.
    Good game plan - I like your thinking. Gets me through the season, and gives me a good genuine reason when I am actively looking around Easter time, and gives me breathing space to do a good job on my next role. Money is important, but so is my reputation. (Internet fantasy not counted obviously!!)

Got plenty of experience in my last role - plenty of certified training (ITIL plus, HP QC Admin, Prince2, etc), but the challenge is finding a role where I can use the additional skills I have gained.

I have effectively got a test function up and running from ground zero, introducing the templates, working closely with the PM's etc. The challenge I have is that this kind of role is not available in the area all the time, it is more of a one-off, hence looking to diversify into project management.

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    Surely the market for testers isn't that bad in the UK? or are you lacking some of the skills that they're asking for?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    take the job, push for training & opportunity.

try for new job again end Q1. cite 20% pay cut as reason.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Someone agreed with me

+2

Also things go dead in Dec. and Jan. you could end up with nothing, things get delayed etc.

Best time to look is mid to end of March, start at the beginning of April the finance year.

I find projects kicking off beginning of April are a lot more organised.

Leave a comment:

• rubyclaire
    replied
    As it became difficult to get job in this competitive world, In this situation I would take the job.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Take the job. The market is difficult. Better to upset your employer by leaving early than end up without a job.

Leave a comment:

• mos
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    You slaved away as a Test Analyst for 5 years and got laid off. You didnt use the opportunity to gain niche skills that would help you gain advantage over cheap imported labour. You are now trying to desperately get a job as project manager and not having succeeded you are blaming some poor fantasy immigrant who is supposed to have stolen that great job that was waiting just for you to pop up and grab.
    Guys, guys, don't be so hard on good old gruffy here.

Let's try to keep it positive, do not kick the man while he's down.

Don't you think that under normal circumstances 5 years of experience in the field after graduation would be the necessary minimum to acquire and solidify skills and gradually move into management role and coaching of the freshers?

With the rapid changes since 2007 everything went upside down ... graduates go straight into dilettantissimo style management and "strategy" and all for the level of pay = to former junior data analyst. The only skills they have a chance to acquire are politicking and the rules of blaming game.

I for one admire experienced tester (I am not sure about details) ... and hope that he will get the management job one day soon.

Last edited by mos; 18 November 2012, 20:06.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X