• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "LinkedIn Endorsements again..."

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    I'd ordinarily agree. I'm possibly becoming a bit of a fuddy-duddy, but I just don't 'get' social media. I'm not on Facebook, and can't imagine foisting any of the tedious details of my private life onto my friends via Twitter. I only have a Technical Blog and YouTube channel because they help me market myself for contract work, and I studiously avoid putting any personal content on them.

However, LinkedIn's definitely the way recruitment is going. Most of the serious work I've picked up this year has been via that channel. There's a fair bit of crud too, it has to be said. (Typically inexperienced companies / hiring managers that mistakenly see themselves as some IT version of Simon Cowell. And who erroneously think that merely because they've advertised a role experienced developers will suddenly be interested in being at their beck and call throughout a one-way recruitment process where they don't have to do any actual recruiting, just sit back and select from the experts that'll no doubt be queuing round the block to work for them.)

For the most part, though, it's just people who need stuff done connecting with people that can do. Because they need to pay to place adverts, you get less of the Simon Cowell types I mentioned earlier, and more of the people who realise that recruitment needs to be a two-way street if it's going to be successful for all parties. I think it'll be the way most of us get new business over the next decade.

I might look into it one day, if I need it. until then I file it with twitter, bookface and them there transportable telephones.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    sounds awful. make me glad that I dont bother
    I'd ordinarily agree. I'm possibly becoming a bit of a fuddy-duddy, but I just don't 'get' social media. I'm not on Facebook, and can't imagine foisting any of the tedious details of my private life onto my friends via Twitter. I only have a Technical Blog and YouTube channel because they help me market myself for contract work, and I studiously avoid putting any personal content on them.

However, LinkedIn's definitely the way recruitment is going. Most of the serious work I've picked up this year has been via that channel. There's a fair bit of crud too, it has to be said. (Typically inexperienced companies / hiring managers that mistakenly see themselves as some IT version of Simon Cowell. And who erroneously think that merely because they've advertised a role experienced developers will suddenly be interested in being at their beck and call throughout a one-way recruitment process where they don't have to do any actual recruiting, just sit back and select from the experts that'll no doubt be queuing round the block to work for them.)

For the most part, though, it's just people who need stuff done connecting with people that can do. Because they need to pay to place adverts, you get less of the Simon Cowell types I mentioned earlier, and more of the people who realise that recruitment needs to be a two-way street if it's going to be successful for all parties. I think it'll be the way most of us get new business over the next decade.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    I'll endorse you for your spelling if you like.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OwlHoot again.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If you have less than 1000 endorsements then you are a complete loser.

HTH

MF
    I know you're not the real MF. If you were you'd have spelled it "looser".

Leave a comment:

• The Spartan
    replied
    I've had a few lately, I think they're after me to endorse them as it'll look good given the ClientCo I'm currently at.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If you have less than 1000 endorsements then you are a complete loser.

HTH

MF

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Kept getting a "people you may know" thing with a vaguely familar name and then remembered it was a bloke I worked with back in the 80s. Also seen names of a neighbour up the road, a local councillor and a previous broker I did a bit of business with. Think some must spend their time searching for any names they can think of.

See another link I do actually have business with has added "Microsoft Word" to his skills list. Wow!
    Last edited by xoggoth; 5 November 2012, 14:48.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    Don't be too hard on him. From his perspective it looks like you've subcontracted LinkedIn to stalk him your behalf. People don't just decide off the hoof to provide Endorsements. LinkedIn spams them to death with redirects to pages where they're invited to endorse their contacts' skills when they try and navigate through their site.
    sounds awful. make me glad that I dont bother

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Got twelve this morning, all from the same bloke I last worked with in 2008 and never seen since. I think I have my first LinkedIn stalker....
    Don't be too hard on him. From his perspective it looks like you've subcontracted LinkedIn to stalk him your behalf. People don't just decide off the hoof to provide Endorsements. LinkedIn spams them to death with redirects to pages where they're invited to endorse their contacts' skills when they try and navigate through their site.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by MyUserName View Post

I had several endorcing me for my C programming - I have not programmed in C for many years and was never that good at it.
    I'll endorse you for your spelling if you like.

Leave a comment:

• BigTime
    replied
    I had my 1st one of these today from a manager for a technology we didn't use at that site. Very strange.

Leave a comment:

• Sausage Surprise
    replied
    Likewise I've been getting them for automated testing.....last applied in 1999!

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    I had several endorcing me for my C programming - I have not programmed in C for many years and was never that good at it.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    started a topic LinkedIn Endorsements again...

LinkedIn Endorsements again...

Got twelve this morning, all from the same bloke I last worked with in 2008 and never seen since. I think I have my first LinkedIn stalker....

Working...
X