• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Taking a stand

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Taking a stand"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

no, I am thinking about the number of people who knew that Savile was molesting kids , and were too scared of losing their position to blow the whistle.

If anyone knew for sure besides other kiddie fiddlers (who would obviously keep quiet) then they must have justified their failure to come forward by the charity income that Saville helped attract.

Large charities are not entirely the benevolent organisations they would have us believe, and they can be ruthless in furthering their own interests, like anyone convinced the ends justify the means. The medievil Inquisition felt the same way.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Here in NL there was a bloke who blew the whistle on a massive building fraud...
    Same on air crash investigation. Aircraft inspectors are pushed to cover up issues - sometimes it goes wrong.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    So if you did report it, and nothing was done, what would you do then?
    Go to the papers. I do wander if the media were ever aware.

But I know of cases where children have been abused, with the approval of the family courts, and nothing has been done. They are deemed vexatious allegations and the papers won't touch them.

Jimmy Savile was the tip of the iceberg.

Does anyone believe we live in a democracy?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    I understand several complaints were made - none were taken seriously.

Very very bad.
    So if you did report it, and nothing was done, what would you do then?

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Here in NL there was a bloke who blew the whistle on a massive building fraud where building firms colluded with civil servants to deal out building work among each other, fix tender processes and then overcharge government agencies for building work. Huge scandal, court cases with convictions and so on, and how was the guy who blew the whistle thanked for information that put an end to this? Well, his career was destroyed , he never got work again and went from being a highly paid project manager to personal bakruptcy and living in a tiny caravan with his wife, who did the decent thing and stuck with him through it all. Another bloke blew the whistle on the army for failing to protect soldiers in training against appalling acts of bullying; his life has been just as bad since then. Who'd stand up for what's right?

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    If I had proof I'd like to think I would yeah. Wouldn't you?
    I'd like to think so

but so many dont. it makes you wonder

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I understand several complaints were made - none were taken seriously.

Very very bad.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    If I had proof I'd like to think I would yeah. Wouldn't you?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Imagine someone higher up the food chain was doing something totally wrong, and you had a little bit of evidence, but not much. And if you made it known, you would never work again, your career would be wrecked and you would probably lose your family and pension etc etc.
    would you blow the whistle ?

Blowing a whistle would be no good. I don't think coppers even use them any more these days.

I'd tell someone
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 22 October 2012, 15:12.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    ....who stood up to someone abusing kids.
    I take it you would then. blow the whistle

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    That would be the fear inside the person talking. 'Would my wife want to stick with a loser who has no job and no prospects'
    ....who stood up to someone abusing kids.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Do you really think you'd lose your family over something like that btw?
    That would be the fear inside the person talking. 'Would my wife want to stick with a loser who has no job and no prospects'

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    no, I am thinking about the number of people who knew that Savile was molesting kids , and were too scared of losing their position to blow the whistle.

Which warrants a more serious answer. I don't see how these people can live with themselves really. Commentators are talking about it being a 'different culture' back in the day, and I can maybe see their point as regards sexism in the office etc, but the people Saviile is accused of molesting are kids. If you walked in on someone would you keep schtum? I'd like to think I wouldn't.

Do you really think you'd lose your family over something like that btw?

Looking back though, more worrying is who thought it would be a good idea to let a private individual have a flat inside a hospital and a caravan inside the grounds of Broadmoor?

Leave a comment:

• doomage
    replied

phew, I thought you were thinking about some sub-ordinate permie who had found out about your nefarious activities with the local school hamster.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    I would have tipped Jimmy off to crimestoppers anonymously.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Fandango View Post
    Surely there must be ways to anonymously leak said evidence without pointing the finger at you isn't there, with a bit of creative thinking?

or is this purely a hypothetical question?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X