• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking a stand

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
    ....who stood up to someone abusing kids.
    I take it you would then. blow the whistle

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      Imagine someone higher up the food chain was doing something totally wrong, and you had a little bit of evidence, but not much. And if you made it known, you would never work again, your career would be wrecked and you would probably lose your family and pension etc etc.
      would you blow the whistle ?

Blowing a whistle would be no good. I don't think coppers even use them any more these days.

I'd tell someone
      Last edited by OwlHoot; 22 October 2012, 15:12.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If I had proof I'd like to think I would yeah. Wouldn't you?
        And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

I understand several complaints were made - none were taken seriously.

Very very bad.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
            If I had proof I'd like to think I would yeah. Wouldn't you?
            I'd like to think so

but so many dont. it makes you wonder

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Here in NL there was a bloke who blew the whistle on a massive building fraud where building firms colluded with civil servants to deal out building work among each other, fix tender processes and then overcharge government agencies for building work. Huge scandal, court cases with convictions and so on, and how was the guy who blew the whistle thanked for information that put an end to this? Well, his career was destroyed , he never got work again and went from being a highly paid project manager to personal bakruptcy and living in a tiny caravan with his wife, who did the decent thing and stuck with him through it all. Another bloke blew the whistle on the army for failing to protect soldiers in training against appalling acts of bullying; his life has been just as bad since then. Who'd stand up for what's right?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I understand several complaints were made - none were taken seriously.

Very very bad.
                So if you did report it, and nothing was done, what would you do then?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  Here in NL there was a bloke who blew the whistle on a massive building fraud...
                  Same on air crash investigation. Aircraft inspectors are pushed to cover up issues - sometimes it goes wrong.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  So if you did report it, and nothing was done, what would you do then?
                  Go to the papers. I do wander if the media were ever aware.

But I know of cases where children have been abused, with the approval of the family courts, and nothing has been done. They are deemed vexatious allegations and the papers won't touch them.

Jimmy Savile was the tip of the iceberg.

Does anyone believe we live in a democracy?

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

no, I am thinking about the number of people who knew that Savile was molesting kids , and were too scared of losing their position to blow the whistle.

If anyone knew for sure besides other kiddie fiddlers (who would obviously keep quiet) then they must have justified their failure to come forward by the charity income that Saville helped attract.

Large charities are not entirely the benevolent organisations they would have us believe, and they can be ruthless in furthering their own interests, like anyone convinced the ends justify the means. The medievil Inquisition felt the same way.
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X