• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "To the recovering alcoholic"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    well we are all going to die of something -- may as well make it something you enjoy...
    I know a guy who deliberately set out to drink himself to death. Paid the rent for a year on a flat next door to an offy, lived off his savings. He said it was bloody miserable. After a while, you stop enjoying the booze... but you can't do without it. And you feel ill all the time.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Yeah when i get to 60 and the kids are sorted, I'll start chain smoking and drinking huge amounts of single malt.
    why wait??
    Indeed, you only need to time it so you are not dying until you reach 60, so you could probably start a decade earlier.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Yeah when i get to 60 and the kids are sorted, I'll start chain smoking and drinking huge amounts of single malt.
    why wait??

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    By the time you hit 60, the kids will have spent all your money.

Probably on tobacco and booze.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    The greatest aspect of recovery is being able to look the world in the eye, wake up with a clear head and have a daily programme for living based on spiritual lines that facilitates a more fulfilled life.
    I'd have thought a spirit-free life was more applicable.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    well we are all going to die of something -- may as well make it something you enjoy...

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    A man drank himself to death. At the funeral, his widow was asked whether he'd tried Alcoholics Anonymous - oh no, she said, he wasn't that bad.
    With ever more people hitting the bottle due to numerous factors, the AA fellowship does offer hope to the sufferer when all can seem lost. Alcohol doesn’t discriminate on creed, colour and income bands.

The greatest aspect of recovery is being able to look the world in the eye, wake up with a clear head and have a daily programme for living based on spiritual lines that facilitates a more fulfilled life.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I watched two friends die from alcoholism after a tough battle. Addiction of any kind is nothing to make light about.
    WHS. I lost a good friend that way.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    A man drank himself to death. At the funeral, his widow was asked whether he'd tried Alcoholics Anonymous - oh no, she said, he wasn't that bad.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Oh, didn't realise it was a W.I.P.

Handy tip: complete it when sober.

EDIT: OK, you've brought out the Vogon poet in me. Here's my edit:

When you confront a sober alcoholic,
    You confront a fighter.

With a mortal enemy still slumbering within;
    An enemy, whom cannot be defeated.

Traveling, within a world of alcoholic abuse,
    Misunderstand weighing upon every step.

Society, still scorning in shameful ignorance,
    Looking down, in unconcealed contempt.

A forgotton citizen,
    Pushing through the crowds,
    Alert amongst the alcoholic seas.

But know this, my friend:
    Few are more alive than he!

Good work Nomadd!

To make all-encompassing and with you on the ‘hero’ thing,

When you confront a reformed addict,
    You confront a survivor who’s found the lifeboat.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    How about:

There was a young man from Aberystwyth,
    Who took out a girl to play whist with,
    When she trumped his last trick,
    He whipped out his d**k,
    And played hell with the hole that she pissed with !!

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by oscarose View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. This draft does need some 'tweaking'. I'll publish the final version shortly.

Oh, didn't realise it was a W.I.P.

Handy tip: complete it when sober.

EDIT: OK, you've brought out the Vogon poet in me. Here's my edit:

When you confront a sober alcoholic,
    You confront a fighter.

With a mortal enemy still slumbering within;
    An enemy, whom cannot be defeated.

Traveling, within a world of alcoholic abuse,
    Misunderstand weighing upon every step.

Society, still scorning in shameful ignorance,
    Looking down, in unconcealed contempt.

A forgotton citizen,
    Pushing through the crowds,
    Alert amongst the alcoholic seas.

But know this, my friend:
    Few are more alive than he!

Last edited by nomadd; 27 September 2012, 23:02.

Leave a comment:

• oscarose
    replied
    work in progress

Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Hero? I can think of many people to whom I'd happily apply that word, but never an ex-pisshead.
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    How about recovering coke heads, pill heads, smokers, tokers, speed freaks and congenital masturbators?
    Thanks for the feedback. This draft does need some 'tweaking'. I'll publish the final version shortly.

Last edited by oscarose; 27 September 2012, 21:04. Reason: errx1

Leave a comment:

• Ruprect
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    How about recovering coke heads, pill heads, smokers, tokers, speed freaks and congenital masturbators?
    I've never conned anyone, let alone my own john thomas

Leave a comment:

Working...
X