• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Advice please

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Advice please"

Collapse

• bogeyman
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    Maybe try using a mnemonic to remember them:

Oxymoron: only a moron would put them two words together.

Tautology: they are too taut, tight with each other.

HTH

Oh God save us!

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    Originally posted by Fleetwood
    So I have

F in "Mental block" mode
    Maybe try using a mnemonic to remember them:

Oxymoron: only a moron would put them two words together.

Tautology: they are too taut, tight with each other.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Originally posted by threaded
    No, you've got them mixed up again.
    So I have

F in "Mental block" mode

Leave a comment:

• Clownio
    replied
    Originally posted by monkeyboy

............... MY boss is hopping mad.
    Sounds serious

Leave a comment:

• bogeyman
    replied
    programme - OK "program" if it was a septic company.

tautology
    Tautology my arse!

Do you carry around a bunch of brown paper bags so people you speak to can vomit into them when they are overcome by your overwhelming and laborious language pedantry?

And, did you have a very strict nanny?
    Last edited by bogeyman; 16 June 2006, 13:25. Reason: utter pedantry

Leave a comment:

• monkeyboy
    replied
    And it did apply their minds, 6 month extention in front of me.

Funny how many exceptions are occurring to this 2 year rule...

Leave a comment:

• BillHicksRIP
    replied
    The client I'm working for has a 2-year rule for contractors too. Finishing at the end of the month to be replaced by another contractor who will probably be here for 2 years too. One of the reasons I went contracting was to get away from meddling HR departments....

Leave a comment:

• threaded
    replied
    tautology
    No, you've got them mixed up again.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black.
    replied

tautology
    You're being very harsh today.

Leave a comment:

• monkeyboy
    replied
    Thanks for the advice.

Its not UBS but close

Think I'm going to compromise.

Won't come in without contract will look for new whilst waiting. It may apply there minds some what.

Which ever comes up first.

Leave a comment:

• Fleetwood
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black.
    And a previous employer I worked for had something called a 'contractor replacement program' (

adequate perm. replacement
    tautology

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Nope I'm afraid the game's up, sounds like the company is cutting back, regardless of what the PM wants.

... but do go and see the boss, ask him you would like to continue and then focus on looking for a new job. If he does give you verbal confirmation, then its worth going in until the paperwork is through. Usually some sort of initial confirmation can be sent quite quickly to the agent.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    Ta - I'll pass it up the tree!

Leave a comment:

• Joe Black.
    replied
    And a previous employer I worked for had something called a 'contractor replacement program' where after 2 X 3 month contracts they would replace that contractor with a permanent member of staff. An absolute ridiculous policy which was frequently broken because managers/depts didn't want to lose the contractor and/or didn't have an adequate perm. replacement. I have to re-read and spell check my posts now.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Joe Black.
    The bank I work for has a strict policy that no contractor should be employed for longer than 12 months.
    Easy. Tell them you're not employed at all, you're a supplier and wish to be treated as such. EDS and the like aren't subject to these poxy rules, so why the feck should we be?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X