• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "You climate skeptics are officially nutters"

Collapse

• pjclarke
    replied
    Bum!

Better?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    What a surprise, pj takes it all a bit too seriously.

Leave a comment:

• pjclarke
    replied
    A very amusing episode. The paper was a piece of lightweight psychobabble, that would have been long forgotten if it wasn't for the skeptic websites going into meltdown erm, denying it. Anthony Watts had more than ten posts (life's too short to count them), Steven McIntyre wasn't far behind, and most of the comments pretty much bore out the professor's central thesis

In particular, the paper demonstrated that a belief in conspiracy theory was a predictor for the non acceptance of climate change. So Anthony Watts posted that Professor Lewandowsky was all wrong because he was in fact part of a big conspiracy ......

The Cook-Lewandowsky Social-Internet Link | Watts Up With That?

Just brilliant.

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    interesting link to the new paper.
    Personally I am a sceptic of CAGW, that means I believe the climate changes natuarally, with a nudge from humans, but nothing too dangerous.

One interesting thing from the paper though..
    he didnt ask sceptics what WE thought of conspiracy theories

he asked ANTI-SCEPTICS what they thought sceptics thought about conspiracy theories

a bit bonkers if you ask me

It's because we are all in it together.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    interesting link to the new paper.
    Personally I am a sceptic of CAGW, that means I believe the climate changes natuarally, with a nudge from humans, but nothing too dangerous.

One interesting thing from the paper though..
    he didnt ask sceptics what WE thought of conspiracy theories

he asked ANTI-SCEPTICS what they thought sceptics thought about conspiracy theories

a bit bonkers if you ask me

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Interesting link to homeopathic medicine. Hey! That's it! Maybe climate change is really due to 0.035mg of a gas that leaked from a bath house in Wapping 50 years ago.
    That's one hell of a fart

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    NAT you totally missed the point. As I said, it DOES work but not for the reasons the practitioners claim - it works BECAUSE of the placebo effect. Of course the bilge the homeopaths spout is crud, hence I didn't think I needed to explain; I'm not surprised Sas fell into the trap but I didn't think you would've!

While placebo effects do work even when people know it's a placebo (the really weird part), offering homeopathic medicine which claims strong success is a great way to make use of the placebo effect for good.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Homeopathic medicine has been well proven to be effective
    No it hasn't. It's been shown to be no better than the placebo effect. The harm is caused because idiots think it will cure them, then they die. There were homeopathic hospitals during WW1. They were less effective than those that used evidence based science. Ergo - homeopathy has meant people died who otherwise would have lived.

Homeopathy is a lie. Based on the lie (they call it a principle) of "like treating like". If you don't use whack the liquid against the magic wood, it doesn't work. Homeopathy is a mafia - it hasn't changed since it was first thought of. Efforts to develop it are roundly stopped by the homeopathic societies around the world. People complain about the huge profits pharma make from conventional medicine - yet those same people think that selling water is somehow more "ethical".

Back OT.

I'm not sure that climate change is man-made, but I'm sure the climate is changing. I'm sure Obama is a yank. I think homeopathy is a crock of very dilute sh*t. I think getting your kids vaccinated is far less risky than not getting them vaccinated.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Sorry Sas but the placebo effect is cold hard medical fact.

Nice try.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Homeopathic medicine has been well proven to be effective.
    I don't think you have any idea what constitutes proof, since you base your life on fairy tales.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    Homeopathic medicine makes people? I'm skpetical about that myself.
    oops

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied

Homeopathic medicine has been well proven to be effective. It doesn't work the way practitioners claim but if it makes people what's the problem?
    Sex makes people HTH

Leave a comment:

• VectraMan
    replied
    Homeopathic medicine has been well proven to be effective. It doesn't work the way practitioners claim but if it makes people what's the problem?
    Homeopathic medicine makes people? I'm skpetical about that myself.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Homeopathic medicine has been well proven to be effective. It doesn't work the way practitioners claim but if it makes people better what's the problem?
    Last edited by d000hg; 21 September 2012, 10:22. Reason: missed a word!

Leave a comment:

• speling bee
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post
    how has homeopathic medicine even got into the NHS?

I think I must have been overseas when it happened, or was it quietly pushed in with little complaint?
    It's been in the NHS since the start. There is a move to remove it entirely. But the new health secreatary is apparently a believer in magic spells.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X