• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Org charts

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Org charts"

Collapse

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    TBA

I think it means 'Totally beyond @rsedness'

Leave a comment:

• Mose
    replied
    How a client conducts organization, org charts and the rest of their affairs is entirely their business.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by BusinessAnalyst2012 View Post
    What is the panel's position on contractors appearing in org charts?
    Some city councils have at the top of the chart, a consultant manager paid through his service company. They are usually paid around £150,000 from your council tax.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Does anyone seriously think that HMRC will get hold of team structure slides from ClientCo and "use it in evidence against you" and that you'll be unable to explain the situation? If you DO, then just tick the box and pay up now.
    I keep copies of ClientCo org charts and telephone lists as evidence that I am not part of the organisation. Just one small part of my IR35 defence which hopefully will never be needed.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Christ !!

Do the words "•Never, ever appear on a Client's organogram"

sound in any way familiar to you ?
    Good spot!

Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    Never, ever appear on a Client's organogram. And never let them give you a 'job title' other than "supplier" or "contractor". You're not there to be their VP Codswallop, Director of Naval-Gazing or Leader of Anything. Your company is there to get a specific fixed-scope job done.
    Common sense here: you must be needed, otherwise you wouldn't be working at ClientCo. So they put your name in a box with a job title, that explains where you are needed and what your role is to the rest of the team. The box with the job title was already there. It's your name being in it that's new.

Does anyone seriously think that HMRC will get hold of team structure slides from ClientCo and "use it in evidence against you" and that you'll be unable to explain the situation? If you DO, then just tick the box and pay up now.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    +1
    Christ !!

Do the words "•Never, ever appear on a Client's organogram"

sound in any way familiar to you ?

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Every chart seems to think my name is A.N.Other.

Leave a comment:

• Contreras
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    As long as it clearly states contractor/consultant besides my name, I've never had a problem.
    Uhuh, so part & parcel of the organisation but without employee rights. Which is probably just how HR see it anyway.

Leave a comment:

• alluvial
    replied
    I don't have a problem appearing in an org chart. It's when you suddenly become a box with "Contractor vacancy" written in it that you know to start sending out the CV.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    As long as it clearly states contractor/consultant besides my name, I've never had a problem.
    WNS

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    OK what about this situation:

--------+
    |
    [ TotalIdiotContractorPeer (CONTRACTOR) ]
    [ Lead Business Analyst ]
    |
    [ BusinessAnalyst2012 (CONTRACTOR) ]
    [ Senior Business Analyst ]

Would this imply to you that TotalIdiotContractorPeer is the senior in this grouping?

For information TotalIdiotContractorPeer has never been the senior in our grouping, he worries about D2D stuff plus general grunt work whilst I focus on strategic issues, also he does not have a good reputation with clientco staff after a couple of "strops"/"flounces".

I am interested in the IR35 implications if so
    IR35 implication is that you are a member of the team. A contractor yes but a member of the team.

As for the other bit you seem to miss an important factor. To stay at any place you need 2 things:-

1) the appearance of competency
    2) being liked enough that someone in management will fit your corner and try and extend you.

TotalIdiotContractorPeer appears to meet both those items (and probably gets £100 a day more than you) you seem to have neither

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    I like to print org charts on A3 paper and turn them into large paper airplanes.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    What is the panel's position on contractors appearing in org charts?
    I like to print org charts on A3 paper and turn them into large paper airplanes.

Leave a comment:

• aussielong
    replied

--------+
    |
    |

Would this imply to you that TotalIdiotContractorPeer is the senior in this grouping?

For information TotalIdiotContractorPeer has never been the senior in our grouping, he worries about D2D stuff plus general grunt work whilst I focus on strategic issues, also he does not have a good reputation with clientco staff after a couple of "strops"/"flounces".

If you were higher up in the org chart, would you have posted?

Do you want the org chart removed because matey is making you look like his junior?

Leave a comment:

• BusinessAnalyst2012
    replied

--------+
    |
    |

Last edited by BusinessAnalyst2012; 6 September 2012, 23:05.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X