• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Incredibly rich fat bird really needs to try being poor herself"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    Read Dark Star Safari by Paul Theroux (Louis' dad) and you'll realise why the charities don't help [in the long run]. Why work when some bloke in a land cruiser will give you a bag of rice and a tent every so often. That's what Live8 was all about, trying to let developing countries trade their way out of poverty instead of being given hand outs.
    agree hence mortgage for home. The sanitation / utilities infrastructure needs to be done centrally, I'd prefer if the costs aren't inflated by profiteering hence charity / government.

Leave a comment:

• Robinho
    replied
    To be fair the minimum wage is possibly the daftest and most self defeating thing ever conceived by the left.

Preaching about lifestyle habits is amusing though.

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    no you need the government and charities to work to make sure each Kenyan has decent (weatherproof and sanitary) accommodation and facilities.
    Read Dark Star Safari by Paul Theroux (Louis' dad) and you'll realise why the charities don't help [in the long run]. Why work when some bloke in a land cruiser will give you a bag of rice and a tent every so often. That's what Live8 was all about, trying to let developing countries trade their way out of poverty instead of being given hand outs. that's a bit of a discredit to them, but the point is they needed readjust too, and I think they are... providing tools and seeds instead of grain.

There's a lot of opportunities to make money over there if you have ANY capital. Anything from £1000 up to millions. Given them work and they are good workers. They know what going without work means and make sure they keep there jobs as there are 40 more people in the queue behind then should they screw up.

People working in call centres should take note... Kenya is getting ready for offshoring since they got their broadband pipe put in. Their accent is much nicer to listen to than some of their competitors, and they are mostly native english speakers. No elecution lessons needed.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    I've spent a lot of time in Kenya - so can give you some comparison figures...

I think Kenyan people need to get better pay. What is really bizzare there are some office type managerial roles pay £1000+ a month. But they are rare. I think if you land a job with an international co you are probably going to do well. Or get your nose in the government trough and take some back handers.
    no you need the government and charities to work to make sure each Kenyan has decent (weatherproof and sanitary) accommodation and facilities.
    Clean water & sanitation.
    Electric may not necessary that can come with wages but it may be safer / environmentally friendly to provide electric for cooking/reading.
    Oh and Decent education, once they know what they are missing they will build it for themselves.

I would suggest a government backed mortgage to buy self build basic accommodation and government / charity sponsored infrastructure.

Better pay just leads to inflation and the haves having more bits of paper in their banks. You need to give the poor man a fishing rod at an affordable price. Better pay will just make the fishing rod more expensive in this case.

Kenya 1 kg of rice is about £1. They grow 79Million tonnes. If its the same price as in UK (where we don't grow any) then there is an excess of profit being made.

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
    this whole argument about fair pay for people who work in africa etc is full of holes, it never seems to take account the cost of living in these areas. people here may earn more but huge portions of what they earn are eaten up and wasted by the state (council tax , this tax, that tax etc) leaving them with very little

she is rapidly becoming the most hated woman in the world
    I've spent a lot of time in Kenya - so can give you some comparison figures...

A pint of beer in Kenya is about 140 shillings. £1. Average wage there is about £50 a month. I think UK has a better ratio at £3/pint to £1000/month.
    In Kenya 1 kg of rice is about £1. Or about 1/50th of your monthly wage. In UK 1KG of rice is about £1. About 1/1000.
    Rent is Kneya is about £200/month for a "typical 3 bed semi". About 6x average wage. In UK its about £750/month (depnding on locations buts that's about UK average) so about 3/4 of average wage.
    A 3 bed bungalow in Nairobi costs about £200,000! Yes really! Outside Nairobi you can get them for about £20,000-£100,000 depending on land and location. But that is still ridiculously expensive to most people.

The "crime" as I see it is that a great deal of the population don't have what we would call even basic living standard. Solid walls, with a roof and running water or electric. I've seen thousands of families living in what we wouldn't class as a garden shed. Ie. we'd replace the felt and make sure the door closes properly and the rain can't get in. The worst examples are some canes with carrier bags stretched over them and then mud thrown over them. They don't last long. Then you get what Lenny Henry stays in when he goes there for comic relief. A room usually corrugated tin, with a bit of a leak and at least solid walls, maybe some dodgy electric. IF you are lucky you can afford 1 room in a municipal block, and cook outside your door on charcoal, share a hole in the floor loo with 30 other rooms on your floor, and have a pipe hanging out the wall for a shower to share.

I think Kenyan people need to get better pay. What is really bizzare there are some office type managerial roles pay £1000+ a month. But they are rare. I think if you land a job with an international co you are probably going to do well. Or get your nose in the government trough and take some back handers.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Mitch, Prawn out of the way I'm having that

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    BREAKING NEWS

Your roving reporter on all matters of fit females has discovered media reports that the fat ugly piece of tulip called Gina Rinehart is in a legal dispute with her own children over the family trust fund of umpty quajillion $Aus.

Now that may be well known, but what's less well known is that one of her children is Bianca Rinehart, who is now in legal proceedings against her mother for a slice of the inheritance.

Your roving reporter will be taking Bianca's side in this long running dispute.

Perhaps this photo also explains why Gina Rinehart dislikes her own daughter. There are some attributes that money can't buy.

Last edited by Mich the Tester; 7 September 2012, 12:50.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    That's not fair at all; I've judged her on both her looks and her character and have concluded that she is a fat ugly cow with no charisma, no social skills and a delusion that inheriting half of Australia's mineral deposits makes her somehow superior to poor people that work hard.
    I was just trying to defend her most redeeming charecteristic

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by doodab View Post
    She is desperately short of redeeming features.
    Oh no, you're suggesting that she might want some redeeming features; I think actually her most nauseating characteristic is that she likes being a complete and utter turd.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    As ever she is being judged on what she looks like rather than her ridiculous views
    That's not fair at all; I've judged her on both her looks and her character and have concluded that she is a fat ugly cow with no charisma, no social skills and a delusion that inheriting half of Australia's mineral deposits makes her somehow superior to poor people that work hard.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    She is desperately short of redeeming features.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    As ever she is being judged on what she looks like rather than her ridiculous views
    no arrogant, ugly & stupid is not a good combination!

I think we have covered her views, it was just the picture made me grin.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Either way the verdict is quite damning. I will leave the way clear to DimPrawn to woo her.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    thought I'd share

http://i.imgur.com/eFEw5.jpg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X