• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What's your favourite mixer with spirits?"

Collapse

• SimonMac
    replied
    Was in my local back in Leeds (dodgy pub in the middle of an ex council estate, think "The Jockey" from Shameless) and someone ordered a lager in lime, landlady through both of her teeth told them to feck off as they don't do cocktails

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
    He didn't - he said if you are going to drink spirits then vodka would be the best in terms of hangovers
    Yes but it's only one slight twist from the truth

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I love the idea of "my doctor told me to drink vodka"!
    He didn't - he said if you are going to drink spirits then vodka would be the best in terms of hangovers

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I love the idea of "my doctor told me to drink vodka"!

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    My wife used to drink whisky and coke but used to suffer from really bad hangovers. Her doctor suggested drinking vodka as it is a more pure form of alcohol - he said that the clearer the liquid the better, in terms of hangovers.

When I drink vodka, I like it with Dr Pepper but you find pubs dont sell that.

On a trip to Krakow a couple of years ago we went to a tiny bar where the barman insisted that we sample many of his vodkas. My wife tends to drink Smirnoff which he was not impressed with. To me they all tasted different, but were all still like some form of petrol. They keep it in the freezer which does make the drink nicer - on the grounds that you can't taste it!

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    I keep an emergency fry up in the freezer
    That sounds about as revolting as those "breakfast in one tin" affairs.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    At home it's usually Margaritas, Bloody Marys or Pink Gins.

Here's one post I did earlier...

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Ahh...
    Which is worse when you wake up still p*ssed and then the hangover kicks in mid afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    As in whisky, vodka, gin and so on
    Yep. The best mixer with whisky is vodka and gin.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    You only get the hangover when the blood alcohol levels drop.
    Ahh...

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier to neck a couple of anadin extra, drink a large glass of cold water, and go back to bed for a couple of hours?
    I get horrible hangovers. It usually takes a big mac meal to dissipate them - but can only be faced early evening.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Gentile View Post
    I keep an emergency fry up in the freezer in case of hangover these days.

I don't drink much, though (which probably makes it more likely I'll need that fry up when/if I do).
    Wouldn't it be easier to neck a couple of anadin extra, drink a large glass of cold water, and go back to bed for a couple of hours?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by speling bee View Post

Neat whisky.
    Gin and tonic .
    Absinthe and base speed.
    WHS - neat whisky & brandy, gin and slimline tonic, although I've stopped the gin as my voice was starting to sound like John Hurt's!

I've been trying a pleasant elderflower Suffolk cider this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Gentile
    replied
    I keep an emergency fry up in the freezer in case of hangover these days.

I don't drink much, though (which probably makes it more likely I'll need that fry up when/if I do).

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    I haven't had a hangover in 20 years, go figure.
    You only get the hangover when the blood alcohol levels drop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X