• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anyone managed to reverse the 10% banking cut?"

Collapse

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Well I was down the pub with work colleagues tonight for someone else's leaving drinks, and I was able to announce that I was walking too.
    What a great feeling it is, to give the finger to your asshole company client.
    Even though I feel a little bad for my immediate managers who have been nothing but supportive the whole time...

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    This is HR we're talking about. You give them too much credit.
    Well if it was up to me I'd give it a try, as I have nothing to lose. But my managers are rather risk averse.

Another idea I've suggested is to leave for a month and then return - that way I would be classed as a new contractor, not one seeking an extension.

Also I've suggested getting a mate to apply for the contract at a high rate (which would be accepted) and then subbing all the work out to me, with us splitting the difference. But that was rejected by them too.

No I think I'm just going to have to leave them to it. At least this way I get a pay rise (at my next contract), plenty of time off, and another contractor is provided with a reasonably well paid gig.

Leave a comment:

• Cr1spy
    replied
    Just about to do a phone interview with a large corporate (14K staff globally). Checking their web site and the HR manager is listed in the companies top five "Big Players"!

Worried already...

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
    Trouble is the HR dept would tell from my passport that I am the same Kentphilip as the one wot left
    This is HR we're talking about. You give them too much credit.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    I'm 20% down on what I was making three years ago in a similar role (IB) but the story is the same all over. I'm still doing OK compared to a lot of other people though. If I'm asked to take another rate cut I will change industries as working in banking won't be worth it for me any longer (long commute, working with pl@nkers, long hours etc).

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    10% of your contract is worth £300? The cuts were for IT contractors, not cleaners.
    watch it. I'm psychotic me

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    please dont make a mortal enemy for the sake of two or three hundred quid
    10% of your contract is worth £300? The cuts were for IT contractors, not cleaners.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
    I didn't fight the cut because I knew I was leaving anyway, besides, them giving me a 10% cut would give me an added incentive to look elsewhere for better work so I don't see it as that bad a thing. Hell I may even aim for a 20% increase in my next role.
    I never saw the point in taking a hit. I mean, it's not as if your costs have gone down by 10% all of a sudden.

I have never screwed a client when I had them over a barrell, I expect the same from them.
    A deal is a deal. renegotiate at renewal time by all means, but please dont make a mortal enemy for the sake of two or three hundred quid

do youse idiots realise how much damage I could do? if I were so inclined

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Worked for these guys about 12 years ago. (different name)

their servers had about 3 meg spare capacity. IT had to delete spreadsheets, just so accounts and the directors could create a new one

I sh!t you not

I didn't fight the cut because I knew I was leaving anyway, besides, them giving me a 10% cut would give me an added incentive to look elsewhere for better work so I don't see it as that bad a thing. Hell I may even aim for a 20% increase in my next role.

Leave a comment:

• EternalOptimist
    replied
    Originally posted by Troll View Post
    I had to call up LV about an insurance quote earlier this week only to be told they couldn't do any quotes because their "systems were down" (how very 1990's) does LV have a high Bob quota ?
    Worked for these guys about 12 years ago. (different name)

their servers had about 3 meg spare capacity. IT had to delete spreadsheets, just so accounts and the directors could create a new one

I sh!t you not

Leave a comment:

• Troll
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Like RBS never happened

My guess we will see at least 3 more like RBS next year.

HTH
    I had to call up LV about an insurance quote earlier this week only to be told they couldn't do any quotes because their "systems were down" (how very 1990's) does LV have a high Bob quota ?

Leave a comment:

• KentPhilip
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    Because he knows from experience that he's not suitable for the job.
    **** off
    The client managers very much wanted me to stay, but their HR and senior management wouldn't budge on the rate. And the client managers didn't blame me for my rise request since I was previously on below market rate.
    I think the issue for HR is that if they do then other contractors will try their luck.

There are some clients out there that try to live by intimidation - I won't have any of that...

Why don't you get your own name on the interviewee list?
    Well indeed. Trouble is the HR dept would tell from my passport that I am the same Kentphilip as the one wot left
    Last edited by KentPhilip; 28 August 2012, 17:27.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Problem is the cuts were imposed on the agents as well so isn't a matter of just renegotiating a rate rise with agents like usual. You can only reverse that amount if the agent is getting more and they aren't (I hope). Most banking agents are on fixed margins so it isn't even the agents pulling a fast one on you. You might be able to squeeze your agents margin (if he isn't already at the fixed rate) but 10% won't wash yet.

Question is will the agents start clawing the 10% back without telling you. I would hope they won't so the only way a rate could be re-adjusted is for a new starter. I am sure there are some tit head agents ruining that perfect scenario though so worth a punt if you are serious.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Like RBS never happened

My guess we will see at least 3 more like RBS next year.

HTH
    There was an article in one of the Dutch papers at the weekend saying we now have what they called a 'Beun de Haas Economie', loosely translated as a 'Del Boy Economy'. Big corporations have realised that reputation doesn't count for anything any more, that if PR doesn't sort out the damage then a quick corporate rebranding job will sort things out; management are only interested in surviving the next quarter while doing things they know are wrong because they're told to, while directors only care about grabbing their bonus in the next quarter, whatever long term damage they have to do to get it. The attention of consumers is quickly occupied by something else anyway, so tulip doesn't stick as it did in the past.

You know I have to admit that for a moment I thought 'RBS, RBS...hmmm what was it again...hmm... wasn't that someone else ...no, it was RBS', so perhaps the article was right. It's a bloody disaster.

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Why don't you get your own name on the interviewee list?
    Because he knows from experience that he's not suitable for the job.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X