• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any tips for shoulder pain?"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Apparently cocodamol withdrawal is as painful as caffeine, and lasts a bit longer.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    I tend to find that if I am going to the gym regularly I never get any back , shoulder or neck problems. Prevention is much better than cure.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Find a sports masseuse / physio
    Seconded.

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    failing that, co-codamol is brilliant.
    But can be addictive

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
    WSSS

I've suffered from back and shoulder pain but after a couple of sessions with an osteopath my back was fine and at £20 for 45 mins I thought it was good value.
    We ended up claiming most of the cost back from the Hospital Saturday Fund. Bargain.

Leave a comment:

• FiveTimes
    replied
    WSSS

I've suffered from back and shoulder pain but after a couple of sessions with an osteopath my back was fine and at £20 for 45 mins I thought it was good value.

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Go and see a physio(preferably a sports one).

I completely knackered my shoulder to the extent that I couldn't lift my arm to the side or above my head.

He gave me some exercises, right as rain now.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Type slower, you're obviously being too productive and straining yourself.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

you had one of yer nuts off, and now this.
    Both nuts intact, thank-you.

My doc did a few simple tests to see if there was nerve damage - try them.
    1. Put your hands together. Have someone put their hands over yours. Push your hands apart, while they apply a resistive pressure.
    2. As 1, but you put your hands over theirs.
    3. Put your hands face up in front of you. Have your friend put their hands on yours. This time, you push up, and your friend pushes down.
    4. As 3 - you push down this time.

If there's any weakness - don't waste time, you've got nerve damage.

For immediate relief from the pain - hot towels, ibuprofen, cortisone. For long term - see a physiotherapist. They'll teach you exercises to do that strengthen the muscles in the neck and shoulder, reducing the likelihood of further disk herniation. The good news is, that as you get older, the disks thicken, so herniation risk reduces.

Chiropractors are more focussed on the spine than osteopaths, though they use very similar techniques. I've heard the Alexander Technique produces good results without any "woo" about chakras or suchlike.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Sounds like a cause of poor posture to me, which can be backed up with your recent post about how you were sitting with the laptop / and your previous avatar picture. I find that spending time hunched over a laptop causes my shoulders to become rounded which in turn causes a weakness in my back and makes my pectoral muscles pull my shoulders even further. This causes shoulder pain and headaches.

When it occurs I see an osteopath who is able to do some manipulation. For remedies I use Nurofen and over the counter Diclofenec. I did have a stronger prescription but now just double the diclofenec. A hot bath and a pillow under the arm works. To alleviate the issue during the day, raise your laptop(I use a couple of chunky technical books) and if working at home where my desk is not good, I prop a cushion under the affected shoulder to raise it.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    GPs tend to get worried when they see people they haven't seen for a few years.
    My GP's surgery phoned my parents, having realised I'd not seen the doctor in nearly thirty years, wanting to know if they should keep me on the books.

A few weeks later I had a heart attack.

That's what comes of having contact with doctors, even if it's just by telephone through a third party in a town you left decades ago

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Damaged shoulders can be very tricky. I had one once, although in my case I knew how it happened (hitting the ground from a height of 6ft at approx 25 mph)
    If you are at all worried it's something more than muscle pain then go and see a doctor asap. A doc can prescribe the decent drugs and check you over properly.
    If you can deal with it, it isn't serious.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Wot Cliphead said re the Chiropractor.

I had a trapped nerve in my shoulder a couple of years ago. Pain in shoulder blade, upper arm, elbow and numb fingers. It was ******' agony for weeks. NHS doc suggested Ibrupofen and Paracetamol and warned it could take up to six months to clear up.

Three sessions with a chiropractor and it was sorted. He said the pain in my shoulder blade was obvious (by poking it and saying "does that hurt at all ?) and he was spot on as to the original location of ther pain. Three sessions of having my arm and neck pulled inside out by a fat aussie bloke did the trick.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    There's a cure for that: divorce.
    You need to be married first...

Leave a comment:

• nomadd
    replied
    Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Years of neck pain...
    There's a cure for that: divorce.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    my doc told me it was my chakra - two weeks later I was better

blooming doctors

F*** it.

Just try some random alternative medicine i.e. acupuncture, homoeopathy, hot jars on your body, find a sympathetic practitioner and believe it will work.

You will be better in no time.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X