• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Are you at the top of the social status ladder?"

Collapse

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    £100pcm to keep it ready for a dip whenever you felt like it? That's far less than I'd have thought... or £100pcm and you have to 'turn it on' 6 hours before use?

I'd love an outdoor heated pool in a cold climate personally, that WOULD be a height of luxury.
    £100pm to keep it at a very nice temperature. With that much water, you can't just "turn it on" as it takes around a week to heat up from cold. We normally run the pump\heater for 8 hours a day. It's actually a large heat exchanger attached to the main boiler return. You also need a thermal cover to keep the heat in when the pool's not being used and to stop condensation.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    £100pcm to keep it ready for a dip whenever you felt like it? That's far less than I'd have thought... or £100pcm and you have to 'turn it on' 6 hours before use?

I'd love an outdoor heated pool in a cold climate personally, that WOULD be a height of luxury.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    You'd think a pool is a far better social superiority marker than a jacuzzi, it must cost a fortune to build and a small fortune to run.
    Not that much to run - around £100pm, it was already there when we bought the house. Outdoor pools are much more difficult to heat and it's far harder to keep the chemicals at the right levels. Plus you can only use an outdoor pool about three days per year.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
    Indoor pool here. We took the jacuzzi out though when we converted the gym complex and games room into an annex for the Father-in-law.
    You'd think a pool is a far better social superiority marker than a jacuzzi, it must cost a fortune to build and a small fortune to run.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    NLUK is top of the social status ladder

Member List - Contractor UK Bulletin Board

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Indoor pool here. We took the jacuzzi out though when we converted the gym complex and games room into an annex for the Father-in-law.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I've got a bottle of wine from the Jacuzzi Estate in Sonoma if that counts. Well, we drank it but we still have the bottle...

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Are you at the top of the social status ladder?
    Yes. I'm a contractor.

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Given DP's financial position, his jacuzzis probably consist of a tin bath he sits in while furiously using an egg whisk
    Is that what they call it these days.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Baked beans, onions, Brussel Sprouts and a tin bath in front of the fire, the proper British way to have one of those fancy foreign Jacuzzi things...
    Given DP's financial position, his jacuzzis probably consist of a tin bath he sits in while furiously using an egg whisk

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Baked beans, onions, Brussel Sprouts and a tin bath in front of the fire, the proper British way to have one of those fancy foreign Jacuzzi things...

Leave a comment:

• moggy
    replied
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Christ. Must be true if it's in the Daily Hate.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Well that's what happens when you read lower-middle class rags like the Wail.
    To us U-people, Jacuzzis are an invariable sign of extreme chavness.
    No. Eco-sheds are the invariable sign of extreme chavness.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• louie
    replied
    +1 A jacuzzi can be bought for what... a few grand? How does that make you at the top? Maybe in an estate with council houses.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    You can't see my Jacuzzi from the street, my Corsa blocks it from view.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X