• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "The green eyed monster"

Collapse

• insur
    replied
    Originally posted by insur View Post
    So let me get this straight, you go to a new place of work, which may only last three to six months and in conversation you tell them your hourly rate, throw in a mention of your BTL properties, discuss your own residence including how small or big it may be and then you wonder why they are being a tad green eyed?

The only topics left to mention are the low annual ISA allowance, the low level of interest on one year fixed rate bonds, oh, forgot to mention the pitiful £85k FSA protection per financial institution and finally how one has the unenvious task of juggling a war chest between numerous institutions to keep it safe.

On a serious note, I think it's best for contractors to stay off these topics if we do not want to become hate figures for the financially prolifigate. IBs are full of folks who thought they had a right to earn the sums of the last decade because they were some how 'gifted', failing to realise that we all enjoyed the lifestyle thanks to the Brown bubble and it perhaps had very little to do with our ability.
    Envy, jealousy, the green eyed monster call it what you like, but it can even rear its ugly head amongst friends one has had from childhood.

Grew up with a a couple of guys from a very similar humble background. We all had similar life opportunities and in fairness made the best of it. We were lucky enough to be of the right age to make the most of the Brown credit boom. However, some of them just went on some kind of spending craze as though the good times would never end.

I always appreciated that I was in this position due to the generosity of others and human nature is not forever generous.

Leave a comment:

• Scrag Meister
    replied
    Pay VAT?

How is that a problem on flat rate? as you don't pay out as much as you take in.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Just ask Sas.
    I don't have that much cash.

HTH, BIDI

Leave a comment:

• SupremeSpod
    replied
    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    I hate it when people have a dig at me for 'being loaded' (even though I'm not particularly 'loaded').

"Oh he'll be OK he's got 5 houses" (what?!)
    "And he earns £xxx per day"
    "Why don't you just get that Porsche"
    "It's alright for him, he's got a big house" (F**ks sake it's only a house and it isn't that big)

etc etc

F**king bedwetters: these are people who as permies earn > £100k a year (one of them £250k), but largely they just don't have a clue on how to manage their money. And then one of them tells me that someone offerred him to contract at £1,000 a day (believable, he's a senior manager) and yet he won't do it. I guess they might as well keep wetting their beds.
    Largely they have half of their income removed by the tax man.

Just thought I'd fix that for you.

Also, I bet they say worse behind your back, stuff like "Why the **** does he keep rattling on about how many houses he owns and how much money he earns, what a w*nker."

Leave a comment:

• ChimpMaster
    replied
    Originally posted by insur View Post
    So let me get this straight, you go to a new place of work, which may only last three to six months and in conversation you tell them your hourly rate, throw in a mention of your BTL properties, discuss your own residence including how small or big it may be and then you wonder why they are being a tad green eyed?

The only topics left to mention are the low annual ISA allowance, the low level of interest on one year fixed rate bonds, oh, forgot to mention the pitiful £85k FSA protection per financial institution and finally how one has the unenvious task of juggling a war chest between numerous institutions to keep it safe.

On a serious note, I think it's best for contractors to stay off these topics if we do not want to become hate figures for the financially prolifigate. IBs are full of folks who thought they had a right to earn the sums of the last decade because they were some how 'gifted', failing to realise that we all enjoyed the lifestyle thanks to the Brown bubble and it perhaps had very little to do with our ability.
    No not at work - sheeesh do you think I've only been contracting 6 months or something?

I'm talking about some of my 'friends' who were fine until they realised that as a contractor I could be making more than they were. And even though some of them are in senior positions they're clearly not educated on taxation because they don't even realise we pay corporation tax, VAT etc etc. The thing is, they tell me what they earn, for example £110k, and fleetingly another day I mention my rate - and from that they deduce that I'm a millionaire - I mean really, what's up with that?

The point which seemed to go by completely missed was that I only have a very short while left in this game. Perhaps just a year at most, so it's not like I can earn £100k+ forever like they can and be on a career path to even more riches.

Even then, yes the mistake was mine: I should not have told them my rate. Good thing I didn't tell them it's actually 20% higher than that due to overtime and on-call work!

Leave a comment:

• louie
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Those who have it never talk about money
    Yeah, no one who has every had money in the history of money has ever talked about.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Just ask Sas.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

Leave a comment:

• insur
    replied
    I hate it when people have a dig at me for 'being loaded' (even though I'm not particularly 'loaded').

"It's alright for him, he's got a big house" (F**ks sake it's only a house and it isn't that big)

etc etc

F**king bedwetters: these are people who as permies earn > £100k a year (one of them £250k), but largely they just don't have a clue on how to manage their money. And then one of them tells me that someone offerred him to contract at £1,000 a day (believable, he's a senior manager) and yet he won't do it. I guess they might as well keep wetting their beds.

Last edited by insur; 15 August 2012, 22:29.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Tbh I don't see how someone commenting on the fact they see you as wealthy as being "a dig". Surely their jealousy is a compliment towards your success??

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied

etc etc

I always find it good to just smile at them and carry on with their rant (bit like shaunieboy really!).

It's their problem, not mine.

Leave a comment:

• PorkPie
    replied

etc etc

I can only see one bedwetter around here...

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    5 houses?

Pauper.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Why did you tell them your rate?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X