• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "designing an office"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    You God-botherers always have a bee in your bonnet, innit? I wonder why.
    You can't imagine that people can be happier than you.
    I am enjoying my life, thank you very much, it couldn't be better.
    I can imagine some people are happier than me. Just not someone who claims to be a retired permie and hangs around a forum where he has no friends and is, at best, tolerated.

Oh well at least you get to post on CUK from a nicer chair than me

Leave a comment:

• louie
    replied
    Yeah, sorry.

So yes I have a refurbished Herman Miller chair, the desk I posted a link to (which is sturdy and large enough for my needs - I like that there's nothing underneath) and some matching John Lewis Agatha bookshelves which are cheap but above average in sturdiness.
    For paper storage I've just got a massive big office cabinet.
    Very functional and looks it - suits me.
    I got a Herman Miller Mirra chair and it is excellent. I can sit on it for 8 hours and feel like I just sat down. I like it so much I got my wife one. People are spending more and more time on their computers so a good chair is well worth it. Got ours here

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by chef View Post
    ladies , ladies, you're going off topic

what about ideas for the design of my new office !!

if you've setup or designed an office I'm very interested in knowing how you went about it and what you decided on getting.

if you want to discuss how happy, rich or religious you are or are not then form another thread or save it for group

thank you
    Yeah, sorry.

So yes I have a refurbished Herman Miller chair, the desk I posted a link to (which is sturdy and large enough for my needs - I like that there's nothing underneath) and some matching John Lewis Agatha bookshelves which are cheap but above average in sturdiness.
    For paper storage I've just got a massive big office cabinet.
    Very functional and looks it - suits me.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    ladies , ladies, you're going off topic

what about ideas for the design of my new office !!

if you've setup or designed an office I'm very interested in knowing how you went about it and what you decided on getting.

if you want to discuss how happy, rich or religious you are or are not then form another thread or save it for group

thank you

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Saying something once isn't 'too much'.

You carry on using your money to make up for the rest of your life, but it sounds like even all that wealth is barely keeping you happy considering you spend your retirement telling people on the internet how great and happy you are.

Now that smells of protesting too much.
    You God-botherers always have a bee in your bonnet, innit? I wonder why.
    You can't imagine that people can be happier than you.
    I am enjoying my life, thank you very much, it couldn't be better.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Methinks thou protesteth too much.
    Saying something once isn't 'too much'.

You carry on using your money to make up for the rest of your life, but it sounds like even all that wealth is barely keeping you happy considering you spend your retirement telling people on the internet how great and happy you are.

Now that smells of protesting too much.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    When did I say I wasn't wealthy? I CHOOSE not to spend money on stuff I don't need rather than just spending money because I can. There's a saying about a fool and his money which seems to apply in your case. Perhaps you should learn some self-discipline.
    Methinks thou protesteth too much.
    There's also a saying about fools who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
    I have top of the range chairs, beds and mattresses, and shoes. Why? Because I'm in or on them most of my life.

But in any case you stick with your studenty Argos furniture if it makes you happy. Why are you even in this thread? Perhaps you ought to start a new thread, "Designing an office on the cheap with no taste"?
    Last edited by sasguru; 15 August 2012, 13:39.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Oh diddums. If you pray hard enough, maybe you too will get wealthy enough to buy nice stuff.
    God will provide. Or does it only provide flat pack budget stuff from Argos?
    When did I say I wasn't wealthy? I CHOOSE not to spend money on stuff I don't need rather than just spending money because I can. There's a saying about a fool and his money which seems to apply in your case. Perhaps you should learn some self-discipline.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Yes, after thousands of years of using chairs made out of bits of wood, suddenly we need a space-age £1000 chair for a poor little backs.

Alternatively you're a tosser with more money than brains and they saw you coming. Although even if you were a pauper you'd still have more money than brains...

HTH.
    Oh diddums. If you pray hard enough, maybe you too will get wealthy enough to buy nice stuff.
    God will provide. Or does it only provide flat pack budget stuff from Argos?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I disagree.

- a desk needs to be big enough for your requirements but also not look out of place in the space its in
    - the correct height to fit your desired chair
    - the correct depth so that it can fit the monitors / keyboard etc and not feel too cramped.
    - you're unlikely to buy many work desks in your life and so it should also be of a style that isnt going to look dated a few years down the line
    - the material should ideally fit its surroundings i.e a dark mahogany desk isn't going to look very good surrounded by pine bookshelves
    - it needs to be sturdy and not fall to bits in a year

lots of things to think about
    Height is easy, buy one that's too high and chop bits off
    I still don't understand what you're doing that makes a cheap desk fall apart. I bought a crappy basic office desk for £30 when I was a student and 12 years later the legs are amazing still attached. Granted I don't climb on it, lean on it or kick it about... I'm sure it would break if I was clumsy with it but failing that it will probably be here i another 12 years... it's dull but it's buried under stuff so you can't see it

The kitchen counter thing is a decent call too, you can buy adjustable height legs and all kinds of extra bits to make it into a 'real' desk.

Leave a comment:

• doodab
    replied
    I disagree.

- a desk needs to be big enough for your requirements but also not look out of place in the space its in
    - the correct depth so that it can fit the monitors / keyboard etc and not feel too cramped.
    - you're unlikely to buy many work desks in your life and so it should also be of a style that isnt going to look dated a few years down the line
    - the material should ideally fit its surroundings i.e a dark mahogany desk isn't going to look very good surrounded by pine bookshelves

If you are thinking longevity then consider something reconfigurable / modular that can adapt to different spaces i.e. if it's L shaped can you place the rebate both sides? Can the drawers be moved around?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Keep your crappy chair then, pauper, no one's forcing you to buy it.
    Yes, after thousands of years of using chairs made out of bits of wood, suddenly we need a space-age £1000 chair for a poor little backs.

Alternatively you're a tosser with more money than brains and they saw you coming. Although even if you were a pauper you'd still have more money than brains...

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Well I'm more practical - as someone noted a desk is just a big flat surface. Not worth paying too much for. Whereas a chair affects you mentally amd physically so worth coughing up for that.
    I disagree.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
    How about this chair? Apparently it make's you happy & productive too
    Does it come with the model?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    the price yes, but I like the design or atleast it's sort of in the right direction of enough space for 2 monitors with a seperate area for writing but it is a bit "executive/director/head of a large multi national corporation" ish
    Well I'm more practical - as someone noted a desk is just a big flat surface. Not worth paying too much for. Whereas a chair affects you mentally amd physically so worth coughing up for that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X