• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Latest EuroMillions winners."

Collapse

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    As well as morality you have to be blessed with basic common sense. I can see why you're struggling.
    Go on, admit it. You havent a fookin clue what you're talking about. Go on, set yourself free.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    Ah right. So taxation in this country is now based, according to you, on a 'moral obligation' and not statute.

Im guessing then that 'morally' you take no steps to lessen the amount of tax you pay and take your contracting money fully compliant with IR35, yes ie 5% expenses, full tax and NI on the rest?

Im also guessing you have no compunction at paying any amount of tax HMRC defines as a 'fair share.' Why then bother having a Chancellor determine the rate of income tax, (corporation \ VAT for that matter) and having a Budget become law when all we need is HMRC to say what is a 'fair share.'
    As well as morality you have to be blessed with basic common sense. I can see why you're struggling.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A bit pointless winning all that money if all you do is live off a modest-to-good 'salary'. You'd at least want a Dim Prawn style mansion.
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Investing that amount of money would be a full-time job.

In fact, investing the interest would be a full time job.
    Yep. When the National Lottery first started I heard that for big winners they'd want to see you in person and have a set of financial advisers there ready to relieve you of help you manage your new found wealth.

Getting through that lot of sharks would be my first hurdle.

Fending off the hangers on and scroungers is another problem. I used to sup with a self made millionaire and he really got sick of not being able to enjoy a quiet pint without someone pestering him to contribute to a new minibus or whatever current fund raising effort was going on.

Originally posted by SupremeSpod View Post
    Lucky f*ckers.
    I like the chance to see how I got on, certainly

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    There is no "law", merely a moral obligation.
    Of course it is only really applicable to those blessed with morality, so I can see why someone like you might have failed to pick up on it

HTH
    Ah right. So taxation in this country is now based, according to you, on a 'moral obligation' and not statute.

Im guessing then that 'morally' you take no steps to lessen the amount of tax you pay and take your contracting money fully compliant with IR35, yes ie 5% expenses, full tax and NI on the rest?

Im also guessing you have no compunction at paying any amount of tax HMRC defines as a 'fair share.' Why then bother having a Chancellor determine the rate of income tax, (corporation \ VAT for that matter) and having a Budget become law when all we need is HMRC to say what is a 'fair share.'

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Would you like to point us all to this tax law that states one 'should pay their fair share'
    There is no "law", merely a moral obligation.
    Of course it is only really applicable to those blessed with morality, so I can see why someone like you might have failed to pick up on it

HTH

Leave a comment:

• BolshieBastard
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    We know that. You don't even like paying your fair share as it is.

Would you like to point us all to this tax law that states one 'should pay their fair share' or are you just pandering to the proletariat masses, you ignorant biff?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Apparently with lottery winners they only become happy for a few months or so.

Though personally I would prefer to live miserably in comfort than squalor.

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    I would hire a team of nubile blonde female dwarfs, with pert bazongas, to follow me around all day on their hands and knees balancing trays of ice cold fozzies and bowls of salted peanuts on their backs.
    The one that kept up the best would get a bonus of 10,000 at the end of the day, plus a day off. The one that did the worst would have to sing three choruses of 'heigh ho' and have to massage my feet for an hour with a scented ear bud.

and I would offer half to the spice girls if they promised to disband again
    I'm silently laughing my ass off with tears and with my hand covering my mouth (trying not to get noticed by other people at my client's office!)

Leave a comment:

• kingcook
    replied
    I'd be more concerned about my kids being kidnapped and a randsom being demanded.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    I'd be altruistic with that amount of money. Hell, I may even pay for a party for HMRC's staff (like ****, I would!)
    We know that. You don't even like paying your fair share as it is.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    This will almost certainly completely f*** up their lives completely.
    Going public is a huge mistake, begging letters will be arriving from all corners of the globe while the scum of the planet makes plans to get their hands on some of the cash.
    Everyone they have ever met will be looking for a payout too.
    A million would have set them up nicely and still allowed them to keep a grip on reality, this much, all at once is going to destroy them and many others.
    The world is full of rich high profile people who didn't get their money from the lottery. You surely do get begging letters but you can hire someone to vet your mail.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Well - first thing they can do is setup a charitable foundation with 20 mill in. This to be invested, 90% of return distributed, 10% retained - ad infinitum. All begging to go to that for review and consideration.

Leave a comment:

• chef
    replied
    Originally posted by lukemg View Post
    Going public is a huge mistake, begging letters will be arriving from all corners of the globe while the scum of the planet makes plans to get their hands on some of the cash.
    A million would have set them up nicely and still allowed them to keep a grip on reality, this much, all at once is going to destroy them and many others.
    is that going in your letter for reasons why they should invest in the 'lugemg charitable donations fund'?

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X